Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Farke- '(Xavi)is a very good player'

Straight from the horses mouth folks. Here's the quote from him today

'Xavi is very strong in my thoughts. We're very pleased to have him back, it was his first proper game back last week. He had a solid game. He is a very good player.'

So, will people now stop talking about how Farke doesnt rate him or how he doesnt fit in the squad or whatever nonsense people have been posting about him since we were linked with the Greek guy?

• Thanks 1

It's not nonsense otherwise they wouldn't be on the verge of signing another LB. Clearly he's an ok player, absolutely fine at this level, but Farke/Webber don't trust him enough to pay the obligation fee upon promotion, the 'trust' incorporating a mix of his ability, especially defensively, and his fitness. 

He's a good player but not great, and that's all there is too it. I imagine he goes back to Villareal in the summer without him making enough league appearances for us to be legally obliged to buy (should we be promoted). 

Sorry, but I don’t buy into this. Long term I don’t see Quintilla, the Greek guy and the possibilities of Byram, Mumba and even McCallum being here at the beginning of the season. Even if Quintilla had been available this week, Sorensson would probably have retained his place. Having seen Quintilla a couple of times, admittedly he has a sweet left foot and is good with the dead ball but He does lack pace and I have seen pull out of 50/50 challenges.

18 minutes ago, Bovril said:

It's not nonsense otherwise they wouldn't be on the verge of signing another LB. Clearly he's an ok player, absolutely fine at this level, but Farke/Webber don't trust him enough to pay the obligation fee upon promotion, the 'trust' incorporating a mix of his ability, especially defensively, and his fitness. 

He's a good player but not great, and that's all there is too it. I imagine he goes back to Villareal in the summer without him making enough league appearances for us to be legally obliged to buy (should we be promoted). 

You, and some others, need to realise it’s actually completely feasible that we’re bringing in another LB purely because there’s concerns over his long term fitness and nothing else, don’t you? So of course we need more quality and cover there, and if he becomes the number 1 in his position then so be it.

Why people have to dramatise this into it being ‘he’s not good enough’ or suchlike, god only knows. I more than suspect it’s because they don’t rate him, and therefore, to save face they will desperately try to project an image that this opinion is shared by the hierarchy at Colney.

Better to trust the words of our head coach for his opinions, than a fan assumption on a message board I would have thought - especially when it’s completely contrary to what Daniel etc are saying.

• Like 1

The fact is if we do go up we're going to need two left-backs. McCallum is still very young and has done well at Coventry this season, but Farke and Webber clearly don't think he's ready for our first team yet and if we get promoted he'll likely go back out on loan.

They may have both played there at one point or another, but neither Byram or Mumba are left-backs. Both are right-backs who were forced into filling in on that side due to injuries. Same with Sorenson, but obviously he's not even a defender. They're all square pegs in round holes, and relying on any of them to play left-back in the Premier League would be far from ideal, that's before you even factor in Byram has had major injury issues and Mumba could potentially be loaned out next season if we were to go up.

Quintilla and Giannoulis would give us two strong options at left-back. Xavi's obligation fee is supposedly £2.7m, so between that and the Giannoulis price we'd be spending a combined £9m and having that area of our team completely sorted for the foreseeable future, which is more than worth it (though admittedly I am saying that having never seen Giannoulis play, just from what we've heard). With the injury problems Xavi has had so far, it makes sense to bring in someone who can compete with him rather than a deputy, it doesn't mean that suddenly Farke doesn't rate him or isn't willing to play him.

The only people dramatising it is Farke and folks on here. We need cover at LB, simple as. McCallum isn't deemed good enough otherwise he wouldn't be at Coventry. Byram is always injured, Mumba still growing and Sorensen is strong defensively but attacking moves tend to slow up when he gets involved further up the pitch. 

I like competition for places; Quintilla and Giannoulis aren't guaranteed a start nor should anyone else be. 

Edited by Capt. Pants

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

You, and some others, need to realise it’s actually completely feasible that we’re bringing in another LB purely because there’s concerns over his long term fitness and nothing else, don’t you? So of course we need more quality and cover there, and if he becomes the number 1 in his position then so be it.

Why people have to dramatise this into it being ‘he’s not good enough’ or suchlike, god only knows. I more than suspect it’s because they don’t rate him, and therefore, to save face they will desperately try to project an image that this opinion is shared by the hierarchy at Colney.

Better to trust the words of our head coach for his opinions, than a fan assumption on a message board I would have thought - especially when it’s completely contrary to what Daniel etc are saying.

You'll have to explain why those who don't rate him would be needing to save face right about now? As far as I can tell we're close to signing a player who seems likely to keep him out of the team, which hardly screams confidence in him.

• Like 1