pete

Greek LB £7.5m if promoted?

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Doesn’t mean anything at all.

We sent Todd Cantwell on loan to Fortuna Sittard who, like Telstar, were in the... Dutch Second Division. 

And 12 months later he’s scoring against Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Wolves, Everton, and Crystal Palace in the... Premier League.

Not to mention another Premier League club by the name of Man Utd in the FA Cup.

He got one or 2 assists as well.

In short, Sebastian Soto’s on loan at Telstar learning men’s football - not because he’s found his level 🤦🏻‍♂️

Indeed! and I have vague memories of a little Argentinian plying his trade on on loan in the Spanish second tier. £40 million prize for anyone who can think of his name

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Indeed! and I have vague memories of a little Argentinian plying his trade on on loan in the Spanish second tier. £40 million prize for anyone who can think of his name

Didn't know Messi was on loan in the Spanish second division 🤔😆

Where do I collect my £40m

• Haha 1

When Quintilla arrived plenty were raving about the signing without seeing him play. He has a left peg but he’s definitely not got the defensive tools for a step up to EPL and he seems too lightweight even now.   The club probably do rate McCallum as capable but are gambling that long-term his stay at Coventry will benefit him and us more.  Sorensen and Byram are very similar, both did a great job, enough to stay in the team but the obvious imbalance affects us offensively, especially as our 3 forwards all move inside.    The problem not having a natural lefty, they are easier to defend!   

Hopefully this new lad is the answer.  

Edited by ged in the onion bag

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Doesn’t mean anything at all.

We sent Todd Cantwell on loan to Fortuna Sittard who, like Telstar, were in the... Dutch Second Division. 

And 12 months later he’s scoring against Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Wolves, Everton, and Crystal Palace in the... Premier League.

Not to mention another Premier League club by the name of Man Utd in the FA Cup.

He got one or 2 assists as well.

In short, Sebastian Soto’s on loan at Telstar learning men’s football - not because he’s found his level 🤦🏻‍♂️

BTW, He is not totally learning men's football in Holland, thought it was more out of future work permit application necessity? 

Edited by Basel_NCFC

15 minutes ago, Basel_NCFC said:

BTW, He is not totally learning men's football in Holland, thought it was more out of future work permit application necessity? 

Or perhaps the response was a more than a reasonable point?

Yes, Soto needs a work permit, that’s true. But he’d have been sent out to the likes of Holland and Belgium regardless anyway - just like we have with Todd, Sitti, Sinani, Bushiri, Adshead etc etc. Standard practice for our young talents coming through.

Don’t think this has been mentioned but I’ve read that Newcastle wanted to sign Giannoulis in the summer but didn’t want to pay his release clause so they bought Jamal instead. We sell a player to Newcastle and replace him with a player who was their first choice!

Could be a rubbish article though.

5 hours ago, Basel_NCFC said:

Both are likely. He probably would have been loaned to a league 1 team or a lower champs team perhaps if we could, but at 20, I don't think he would have walked into the squad. Not when we have spent money on Hugill and have Pukki and Idah.

17 hours ago, chicken said:

Both are likely. He probably would have been loaned to a league 1 team or a lower champs team perhaps if we could, but at 20, I don't think he would have walked into the squad. Not when we have spent money on Hugill and have Pukki and Idah.

Is the Hugill deal already agreed? Thought he played well yesterday but long term is he going to offer much in the prem? 

8 minutes ago, Basel_NCFC said:

Is the Hugill deal already agreed? Thought he played well yesterday but long term is he going to offer much in the prem? 

Hugill isn’t on loan, he’s our player.  Gibson and Xavi were both loans with a view to staying, prices agreed etc, though I’m sure sides have managed to dip out of such arrangements in the past.

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Hugill isn’t on loan, he’s our player.  Gibson and Xavi were both loans with a view to staying, prices agreed etc, though I’m sure sides have managed to dip out of such arrangements in the past.

Do you think with xavi it is based on him playing a number of games?  Few concerns with his fitness, hence why the link to Greek Lb? 

I think we need both if we’re promoted, as Mumba looked very good his one performance before injury a lot further forward, Mumba is certainly a utility player. McCullum and Aarons with the ever injured Byram we should have decent cover in all areas even if we were to sell Aarons.

Good signings both to be honest.

The idea that there’s a link between how many games Xavi plays and a fee seems to be a fairly new theory, posited by someone a few weeks ago to explain why he’d not played recently...but he was then used against Coventry.  Looking at stories when he signed it just looked to be a fairly standard loan for the season with an agreed fee at the end of it.  His injury and now a positive Covid test have certainly not helped the guy.  

Regarding the Greek lad Giannoulis, looking at the most recent story it seems more than likely he’s going to sign early this week, and is definitely seen as a PL option.  No idea if there’s any legs in Newcastle having tried to get him and then getting Jamal, but if so it looks like a decent bit of business.  

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

The appearances thing doesn't make a lot of sense in triggering a permanent deal, especially not in our situation. It might be that it impacts on the price we pay for him perhaps? Just doesn't make a lot of sense in my mind but I guess who knows?

As for signing both permanently - I did wonder with this Greek lad coming in, but I think we have to consider McCallum too. Mumba is not a left back. He is a right back but has two good feet, so like Byram (when he's fit), he can play there. Actually, like Aarons too.

I have heard it said by Goreham that Gibson's fee has already been allocated and spoken for, so I suspect his isn't even dependent upon promotion. I think we'll sign him no matter what.

It is nice to have options and I am just looking forward to the many attempts to try and pronounce the Greek lads name in broad Norfolk on Canary call... 

On 17/01/2021 at 16:19, Branston Pickle said:

My understanding is Xavi we had an agreed optional price- ie if we wanted to buy him at the end of the season for £Xm then we could but there was no obligation.

I think with Gibson it is the case that if we go up then we are obligated to pay the £Xm we agreed. 

This was also the issue when Barca came in for Aarons on loan. They wanted a loan with an agreed option at the end of the season, we'd only agree if it was an 'obligation' rather than an option.

14 minutes ago, pete said:

5 day isolation could play FA Cup.

surely not after not having trained with the team ? 

2 minutes ago, Haus said:

surely not after not having trained with the team ? 

FA cup is next weekend, he'll have trained with the team by then.

• Like 1

Giannoulis is certainly an upgrade on what we have. We've been missing a LB for some time and have played a lot narrower as a result. If rumours are to be believed he almost signed for Napoli not long ago, so this is a real coup for Norwich to get a player of this standard.

In respect of Quintilla, I like him and think he offers the best quality crossing into our box of any of our players. Im sure he will contribute this season when up to fitness.

15 hours ago, chicken said:

FA cup is next weekend, he'll have trained with the team by then.

Ah ok, had it in my head it was this Saturday 

2 hours ago, Haus said:

Ah ok, had it in my head it was this Saturday 

It IS this Saturday-23rd-a week earlier than usual.

21 hours ago, chicken said:

It is nice to have options and I am just looking forward to the many attempts to try and pronounce the Greek lads name in broad Norfolk on Canary call... 

I'm not sure they'll be better than the Welsh commentator trying to say Omobamidele last Saturday! 😂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Giannoulis is certainly an upgrade on what we have. We've been missing a LB for some time and have played a lot narrower as a result. If rumours are to be believed he almost signed for Napoli not long ago, so this is a real coup for Norwich to get a player of this standard.

In respect of Quintilla, I like him and think he offers the best quality crossing into our box of any of our players. Im sure he will contribute this season when up to fitness.

Rather interesting to see that Newcastle were after him but ended up going and getting Lewis from us instead.

Be that as they thought he was was beter or it was as he would be cheaper I have no idea

56 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

A Greek Left Back for £7.5 mill if promoted?.....I'll have a pitta that....It's like moussaka to my ears.... 

+5 for effort

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Rather interesting to see that Newcastle were after him but ended up going and getting Lewis from us instead.

Be that as they thought he was was beter or it was as he would be cheaper I have no idea

As I said, the article I read said that Newcastle wouldn’t pay the release fee but  that was quoted as €10 million and they paid more for Jamal eventually-maybe they thought Jamal was better VFM?

4 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

A Greek Left Back for £7.5 mill if promoted?.....I'll have a pitta that....It's like moussaka to my ears.... 

For that price he Beta be good

Edited by Tired

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-dmitris-giannoulis-signing-confirmed-6915832

I’m really happy to have signed. It was a dream to play for an English team and now that has come true," he told the club's official site. "It’s been a busy few days, but I’m here and I can’t wait to get on the pitch with my new team mates.

“I will always give my best. I consider myself a fast player, both in attack and defence. I like Norwich’s style of football and I hope I adapt to the way that the team plays and that I can help the team get promoted.”

Edited by horsefly