Sign in to follow this  
rohit32

How many 'good' seasons have you had following your club?

So my first match at Notts as a young nipper was a 4-0 win v Rotherham in 87/88. Which means including 2019/20, I've completed 33 seasons at Meadow Lane. Scary stuff. In that time, we have either been promoted or finished in the play-offs*, which I am deeming a 'good' season regardless of the play-off outcome, a grand total of 8 times - or 24%.

Which means a massive 76% of my time has either been relegation (5 times, from the top flight all the way down to NL), fighting relegation, a dull mid table finish, or a flirt with the play-offs before falling away. Or over three quarters, if we are doing fractions. Depressing.

Can anyone do better/worse?

*Even those 8 times were pretty crappy. It includes just two automatic promotions (Under Sam Allardyce when we walked L2, promoted in March, and the infamous 'Munto' season, although that was a tremendous laugh), two play-off wins (both under Neil Warnock, back-to-back promotions from division 3 to the top flight, the last being in 90/91), and four play-off defeats, with 2 at Wembley in the final - including last season's humbling by Harrogate).

https://sarkarijobs.gen.in/

Edited by rohit32

ten promotions and nine relegations for me.

But that's in twice as many seasons.

Eventful, you might say.

Edited by ricardo

My first match was in March 1968. I had three years of being an excited child watching what on reflection was a very ordinary team. Then Ron Saunders arrived and changed everything. As Ricardo says, it's been eventful. I struggle to remember a dull moment. It says a lot for the club that I enjoy it now more than ever. 

I like Notts County and I'm old enough to remember Jimmy Sirrell's wheelbarrow. I'm sure things will turn round for you. 

If you really want to know about history I suggest a visit to TWTD. But be warned, you may wish you'd never asked...... 

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

My first match was in March 1968. I had three years of being an excited child watching what on reflection was a very ordinary team. Then Ron Saunders arrived and changed everything. As Ricardo says, it's been eventful. I struggle to remember a dull moment. It says a lot for the club that I enjoy it now more than ever. 

I like Notts County and I'm old enough to remember Jimmy Sirrell's wheelbarrow. I'm sure things will turn round for you. 

If you really want to know about history I suggest a visit to TWTD. But be warned, you may wish you'd never asked...... 

You were fortunate to miss the 60's. Apart from a couple of FA cup runs it was a decade of utter dross.

• Haha 1

My first game was August 1992, a 1-1 draw versus Everton.

So, I've followed Norwich through 6 relegations and 5 promotions (three of which as league winners), plus one losing playoff campaign.

So 28 seasons, 11 of which were promotion or relegation seasons.

Obviously the 5 promotion seasons were good, as was the 01/02 Worthington playoff season. Lambert's Premier League season was also what you'd call good as well. 92/93 and 93/94 were also definitely in the good category.

And I believe I've seen 8 Premier League seasons, 19 Championship seasons and 1 League One season.

Edited by canarydan23

17 minutes ago, ricardo said:

You were fortunate to miss the 60's. Apart from a couple of FA cup runs it was a decade of utter dross.

I still think Tommy Bryceland was our best player ever. Which just goes to show how we look at the world through rose tinted glasses 😂

20 August 1960 Home to Sheffield United. Division Two

Can't remember much about it to be honest. I was stood at the River End with my Dad and a lot of the time I just saw peoples backs.

I wasn't allowed to go during the Cup run season or promotion the following season.

I had been to Carrow Road to see Norwich Boys matches but standing with the men and women at the River End was something special.

That season was a decent one and we harboured thoughts of promotion for a while and the next season we won the League Cup but I was in the Jenny Lind Hospital with pneumonia for the home leg.

19 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I still think Tommy Bryceland was our best player ever. Which just goes to show how we look at the world through rose tinted glasses 😂

I loved old Tommy but in truth most of the sixties was forgetable from a NCFC supporter point of view. Attendances dropped to 14k by the end of it and no surprise, lots of endeavour but very little entertainment. Ten years of mid table mediocrity is how I remember it.

Edited by ricardo

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I loved old Tommy but in truth most of the sixties was forgetable from a NCFC supporter point of view. Attendances dropped to 14k by the end of it and no surprise, lots of endeavour but very little entertainment. Ten years of mid table mediocrity is how I remember it.

I lived in Poringland and used to cycle to Trowse to watch training. Looking back, I think it's fair to say that the atmosphere changed a bit when Saunders arrived. 

Graham Paddon came to help training at Poringland when he moved there. When he signed for us Saunders told him that he would make a good player out of him once he was fit. Paddon thought it was a strange thing to say to a professional footballer but told us that he regularly did without breakfast because he didn't want to be the one who threw up. 

We all talk about the great managers we've had but Saunders created something out of nothing. Who knows where we would be if it wasn't for him. 

Started watching them in 1968 when our claim to fame was the FA CUP run. Since then we've been up and down a few times starting a couple of years later.

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

So many great Cup moments though Ricardo.

Winning away at Ipswich in 1962. I worked with a reader at Jarrolds, David Hindle who played for Kings Lynn against Everton in the 3rd round.

Last 8 in 1963 after the big freeze.

Joe Mullet in 1966.

I was one of them at OT in 1967 when we beat Manure.

Edited by keelansgrandad

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

So many great Cup moments though Ricardo.

Winning away at Ipswich in 1962. I worked with a reader at Jarrolds, David Hindle who played for Kings Lynn against Everton in the 3rd round.

Last 8 in 1963 after the big freeze.

Joe Mullet in 1966.

I was one of them at OT in 1967 when we beat Manure.

I remember David Hindle well, he played centre half for our Sunday League side in the mid 70's.

Yes there were a few good Cup moments and 3 of the 4 biggest gates ever at CR. 

The bread and butter however was a different matter, we finished 17th twice and 11th and 13th 3 times each. Gates declined from 24k in 1960 to under 14k in 1969. There was a reason for that and it was the low level of entertainment. People who have only experienced the last 15 years will not know what living through that period of extended dross was like. When I realise that our friends down the road have had a similar period only twice as long, I can understand their pain. 

Searching back in my memory I find it hard to think of a less inspiring decade. 

From as a child watching the reserves play week in week out on the wooden benches of the old main stand (City stand) I've long come to the conclusion it's the journey not the destination with the Canaries.

Wouldn't have it any other way!

3 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

From as a child watching the reserves play week in week out on the wooden benches of the old main stand (City stand) I've long come to the conclusion it's the journey not the destination with the Canaries.

Wouldn't have it any other way!

Very true and its in those long periods of dross that the weak fall upon the wayside, many never to return. It very nearly happened to me at one stage.

I am eternally grateful that I stuck it out and reaped the reward.😉

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I remember David Hindle well, he played centre half for our Sunday League side in the mid 70's.

Yes there were a few good Cup moments and 3 of the 4 biggest gates ever at CR. 

The bread and butter however was a different matter, we finished 17th twice and 11th and 13th 3 times each. Gates declined from 24k in 1960 to under 14k in 1969. There was a reason for that and it was the low level of entertainment. People who have only experienced the last 15 years will not know what living through that period of extended dross was like. When I realise that our friends down the road have had a similar period only twice as long, I can understand their pain. 

Searching back in my memory I find it hard to think of a less inspiring decade. 

I wasn't too aware of what happened in the 50s, but we were in deep joy financially as a club and I seem to remember having to apply for re-election in either 56 or 57.

What team was that in the Sunday League?

Edited by keelansgrandad

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

So you were at Jarrolds as well?

Yep, you probably remember some of the Sunday team, Pat Marshall, Geoff Tilley, Rodney Cox etc

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Yep, you probably remember some of the Sunday team, Pat Marshall, Geoff Tilley, Rodney Cox etc

Yes, those names are coming back to me. Pats brother Dave played in the Saturday team. So did my mate Paul Golder. Bob Folkard as well.Tony Mason broke his leg.

I am sat here with a copy of Jarrold News from 1974 trying to recollect.

I was in what they call Film Comps. Where were you?

Litho

Yes, I remember all those names. You must have worked with my old school mate, Mervyn Hurn. Good singer was Merv,  especially Elvis stuff. Last saw him about ten years ago, taxi driving.

Edited by ricardo

36 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Litho

Yes, I remember all those names. You must have worked with my old school mate, Mervyn Hurn. Good singer was Merv,  especially Elvis stuff. Last saw him about ten years ago, taxi driving.

Yes. We used to wind him up and call him Melvin. Hung like a horse.

He used to stand with us in the Barclay End. I forget his missus name. Quite pretty.

I'll have to try and think of some names.

As others I don’t miss the terraces, but my first game was 1977 and from then I followed when I could through the 80’s. These were the best times, we had some great players and money wasn’t the players big motivation but playing was. 
I like the fact football became civilised and families could follow their club in comfort and safety, but the core of football lost its principles and it’s become corrupt from top to bottom, ensuring that the product is protected rather than a competitive sport.

Though I enjoy watching football and I have bought into myself by having Sky to watch games, I can’t say I particularly enjoy watching us playing in the premiership as all we try and do is tread water, that’s sad, as when I went as a kid, we anticipated that we could win every game at FCR, not just hoped. I think the younger generation who have only experienced Sky Premiership football missed out on true competitive football.

My affections go back many years. I have pictures of my father playing in goal at the old ground (the Nest) in 1909. But it was the 50s when I first attended matches myself. I really gained more interest  in the 60s during Gerry Mannions time at the club as his sister was a great friend of a sister of mine. I also knew Terry Blys father quite well. I have followed City ever since.

PS my father did not play for City 🙁

10 minutes ago, SHRIMPER said:

The nest

nest.png

Is that him in goal? Fantastic.

Picture is from the right era but we are not sure if it is him or not. He was no angel my old man but always a keen sportsman. Photographers turned their pictures into postcards to make a bit of cash. This one from the oldman sent to my grandmother  just said, we won 4-2.

Every season is good for me, really missing my Sat afternoon CR fix. Makes no difference to me, going up or coming down, beat shopping with the Mrs.