Sign in to follow this  
pete

Wednesday no new keeper

Supposed to be considering Nyland in as cover nothing to report as yet.  Hope this means Tim is healthy enough for Saturday.  Cutting it fine to complete transfer if it is going to happen.

As always under this current leadership, we trust our youth. If Barden is to play a few games whilst TK recovers fully, I don't see a problem with that. On the contrary, it will be great experience for the lad. 

• Like 1

More than happy with Barden, though we do need a backup, not sure Nyland is the right answer.

I thought Barden looked great, I assumed the idea of an experienced keeper was to allow the younger player with genuine talent to go out on loan to gain experience.  I am just surprised it is a non home grown option.

Tricky one, Barden looks a great talent for sure, his all round ability for each attribute a goalkeeper needs was on full display against Coventry, and the first thing I thought after the game was I bet Man City or similar start keeping tabs on him. He looked pretty awesome and if he keeps that level of performance up then we’d have no worries about him filling in games for Krul.

But, we obviously need another keeper this window as going with just Krul and Barden is too risky when a Premier League place is at stake. But Nyland I’m sure would want reassurances that he genuinely has a chance of starting, and let’s face it, the guy’s one of those that seems a little bit too error prone and so I’m not sure he’s the answer. We just need someone who can come in until the end of the season to make up numbers but with genuine experience and ability to challenge Barden should Krul get injured again god forbid. If all goes well, and we get promoted, then we can commit to, and attract a, higher level ‘keeper on a more permanent deal in the summer - I’m thinking a Fahrmann but without the missus.

Edited by Alex Moss

9 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Tricky one, Barden looks a great talent for sure, his all round ability for each attribute a goalkeeper needs was on full display against Coventry, and the first thing I thought after the game was I bet Man City or similar start keeping tabs on him. He looked pretty awesome and if he keeps that level of performance up then we’d have no worries about him filling in games for Krul.

But, we obviously need another keeper this window as going with just Krul and Barden is too risky when a Premier League place is at stake. But Nyland I’m sure would want reassurances that he genuinely has a chance of starting, and let’s face it, the guy’s one of those that seems a little bit too error prone and so I’m not sure he’s the answer. We just need someone who can come in until the end of the season to make up numbers but with genuine experience and ability to challenge Barden should Krul get injured again god forbid. If all goes well, and we get promoted, then we can commit to, and attract a, higher level ‘keeper on a more permanent deal in the summer - I’m thinking a Fahrmann but without the missus.

What's the deal with  Fahrmanns missus Alexo? 

20 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

What's the deal with  Fahrmanns missus Alexo? 

If I recall correctly, she had some rant on social media about how badly the club were treating her husband - apparently she thought he had a divine right to start and she really wasn’t happy. She was a twattio, Corkio

10 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

If I recall correctly, she had some rant on social media about how badly the club were treating her husband - apparently she thought he had a divine right to start and she really wasn’t happy. She was a twattio, Corkio

Sounds like  it !!! Always  embarrassing  when the missus has to wade in to speak for her husband..... unless of course he is, for some reason, unable to speak for himself.

PS Glad to hear that  you are on the mend Alexo, albeit  slowly. We've  just found out that our daughters husbands family have all tested positive, thankfully we didnt get together with them over Christmas  like we normally  would.... this virus is a curse. 

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

With Krul COVID-affected and McGovern out, I'm happy enough with Barden starting but who's on the bench as backup?

Yeah exactly, and no guarantee's we can keep COVID away from Barden, so another options surely going to be required.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah exactly, and no guarantee's we can keep COVID away from Barden, so another options surely going to be required.

Oxborough should be fit again soon, no? We don't necessarily need two experienced keepers. If Krul stays fit for the rest of the season he'll start every game, and if he does get injured again then Barden has already shown he's got some talent. It's common for old keepers to join big clubs as third choice (like Greeno did at Chelsea), but unlikely we'd get someone to come in as third choice. Trust in the academy - Barden, Oxborough and McCracken can cover it between them.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Sounds like  it !!! Always  embarrassing  when the missus has to wade in to speak for her husband..... unless of course he is, for some reason, unable to speak for himself.

PS Glad to hear that  you are on the mend Alexo, albeit  slowly. We've  just found out that our daughters husbands family have all tested positive, thankfully we didnt get together with them over Christmas  like we normally  would.... this virus is a curse. 

Cheers M, with this newer strain that is extremely transmissible, it does indeed seem to have really taken a foothold now sadly - I hope everything works out with your extended family buddy 🙏

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Oh, to add to my last reply, Corkio, I have found one positive upshot of catching the virus. As I can’t really taste anything at all anymore, I’ve figured I might as well live on 3 loaves of bread a week so my shopping bill is now going to be about £6 a month. But might jazz it up and have a couple of cabbages instead next week if they’re on 2 for 1

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

All very well about having kids as cover when you're sitting pretty at the top. A couple of bad results and that could all change. Play-offs, a play-off final and I think we may need a bit of experience. There's a long way to go yet.

Recent history has taught us that if there are injuries to be had in positions where there is limited cover, NCFC will get them!

6 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Oxborough should be fit again soon, no? We don't necessarily need two experienced keepers. If Krul stays fit for the rest of the season he'll start every game, and if he does get injured again then Barden has already shown he's got some talent. It's common for old keepers to join big clubs as third choice (like Greeno did at Chelsea), but unlikely we'd get someone to come in as third choice. Trust in the academy - Barden, Oxborough and McCracken can cover it between them.

Oxborough seriously ruptured his achilles tendon in August, that's a year out of the game even in this age of advanced medical science.

Or to be more precise, an average of 199 days until return to unrestricted practice and an average of 274 days to return to competition. That's the average of those who do return, it still retires 18% of players who suffer that injury.

A couple of decades ago it was a near-certain career ender.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

6 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Trust in the academy - Barden, Oxborough and McCracken can cover it between them.

Well Oxborough is a write off for this season.

Remember that we do also have U23 and U18 fixtures to fulfill and that those sides do need a keeper.

You expecting McCracken to travel to Reading away on the 15th January to play for the U23's, then to Cardiff away on the 16th January with the first team? 

And are their not restrictions on who can be in a bubble, with the first team having its own bubble? 

Just trying to think through the actual practical implications. I should think that a keeper is either with the first team or with the U23's with no moving between the two? To prevent an outbreak in the U23s spreading to the first team squad and wrecking our season?

Put McCracken in the first team as cover if you like, but then he's not getting U23 games in their bubble, which is probably what he needs after being injured most of last season and only just getting game time again? 

Its either in or out.

But if its "in", then you need keepers for the U23's..... who's that going to be? The U18 keepers? Then they take the U16 keepers? Where does that end? 13 year olds playing for the U16s or something?

More practical to just throw a few grand at some old geezer to sit on our bench for a few months. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

We'll definitely be signing someone with McGovern out, you would think, even if they decide that Barden is up to being no2, but the Pink'un reported Norwich aren't making a decision before this weekends fixture. That leads me to think Krul will at least be on the bench - but I'd imagine he'll be starting if he's well enough to be in the squad 

McCracken trying to secure loan move, well he was in December, way he was talking seemed to think it was going to happen.

Nyland has a schnitzer in him, however bearing in mind he did have back trouble and would be looking to work his way back in, he'd be a good choice for a contract until the end of the season and see how he's looked back in regular training alongside Krul. Could even be that his back troubles might have been the cause of his schnitzers.

Promising youngsters need regular game time, and for young goalies, double it. Barden really needs a loan.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1