9 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Lambo is quite fond of Scotland's finest export - alledgedly

The Proclaimers? 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Even Accrington Stanley are currently leaving them for dust if you look at the league standings.😁

Accrington Stanley ? Who are they ?

9 hours ago, K Lo said:

Accrington Stanley ? Who are they ?

I can remember a couple of seasons ago Accrington Stanley knocked Ipswich out of the FA Cup and their fans were saying how embarrassing it was. Now the same Accrington Stanley are out-performing them in the league!

19 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I can remember a couple of seasons ago Accrington Stanley knocked Ipswich out of the FA Cup and their fans were saying how embarrassing it was. Now the same Accrington Stanley are out-performing them in the league!

Ipswich... who are they?

Even when Lambert was with us he was an ungracious man. Remember the Burnley fiasco, when he was on the point of walking out? Always looked after number one and still doing that with his 5 year contract. We had three great seasons which rescued us, but I'm not sure it was done to Lambert as much as it was down to Grant Holt, Wes Hoolahan (who he nearly got rid of when he arrived) and other decent players.

• Like 1

If Culverhouse was the driving force for the success is anyone surprised he hasn’t been headhunted by a full time pro club. He is doing a great job at Kings Lynn so could he be the answer to a team like Ipswich when Lambert inevitably gets sacked. 

8 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Even when Lambert was with us he was an ungracious man. Remember the Burnley fiasco, when he was on the point of walking out? Always looked after number one and still doing that with his 5 year contract. We had three great seasons which rescued us, but I'm not sure it was done to Lambert as much as it was down to Grant Holt, Wes Hoolahan (who he nearly got rid of when he arrived) and other decent players.

I know Lambert hasn't covered himself in glory over recent years but this kind of revisionism still grinds my gears. 

When he came in we'd just been hammered by Colchester 7-1 and looked at our lowest ebb. Holt was considered a journeyman lower league striker and Wes was a lightweight, one footed winger who'd packed on weight over the summer. I don't think just anyone could have come in a turned that team into a Premier League outfit. The fact Lambert did is still a huge achievement and one that shouldn't be played down in my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I know Lambert hasn't covered himself in glory over recent years but this kind of revisionism still grinds my gears. 

When he came in we'd just been hammered by Colchester 7-1 and looked at our lowest ebb. Holt was considered a journeyman lower league striker and Wes was a lightweight, one footed winger who'd packed on weight over the summer. I don't think just anyone could have come in a turned that team into a Premier League outfit. The fact Lambert did is still a huge achievement and one that shouldn't be played down in my opinion.

I agree the achievement shouldn’t be downplayed however...

Yes we were at our lowest ebb but the potential we had was huge and we were easily the best club to be managing in League 1. That was simply not a league 1 squad. Lambert saw the potential to further his career and jumped at the chance rather than remain at Col U. I think what is underestimated is how poor a manager Gunn was. Lambert could see how easily the results could be turned around.

Holt was a player he was desperate to sign for Colchester that summer and Wes was a player we were very lucky to have kept hold of, was very much described as a luxury for the league much like Buendia is in the championship and again, a decent manager (which Lambert undoubtedly was) could see his potential.

It was at the Col away game that the true Lambert was starting to show. He relished being the pantomime villain but crucially it was while being part of a successful setup. The question was what would he be like when the going got tough. Lucky for us, that didn’t happen during his time with us as we continued to rise until he then went onto, arguably, a bigger job. It was only at subsequent clubs that the cracks appeared and his lack of ability to handle them became all too apparent.

The 1p5wich game seems pivotal as I never thought of him as that out of control until that point. I thought him a cool headed, calculated individual who was a master of mind games. That day he was just a bitter, petulant washed up has been who was really beginning to realise it and his only action was to make it all about himself one more time.

I thank him for all the memories of 3 wonderful seasons. For giving us the best out of Holt and Hoolahan, two of my all time favourite city players. For giving us such memorable moments as Holt vs Reading, Liverpool away, all the last minute winners and the Jackson moment.

But for how he’s acted every time he’s returned to Carrow Rd (and as much as he did for the club, we made his career), Lambert and 1p5wich are welcome to each other. 

• Like 1

Paul Lambert was brilliant for Norwich City  - Norwich City were brilliant for Paul Lambert.

Every fan I know will readily acknowledge the first part of that statement.

Paul Lambert has never acknowledged the second part of that statement. 

• Like 11

22 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

I agree the achievement shouldn’t be downplayed however...

Yes we were at our lowest ebb but the potential we had was huge and we were easily the best club to be managing in League 1. That was simply not a league 1 squad. Lambert saw the potential to further his career and jumped at the chance rather than remain at Col U. I think what is underestimated is how poor a manager Gunn was. Lambert could see how easily the results could be turned around.

Holt was a player he was desperate to sign for Colchester that summer and Wes was a player we were very lucky to have kept hold of, was very much described as a luxury for the league much like Buendia is in the championship and again, a decent manager (which Lambert undoubtedly was) could see his potential.

It was at the Col away game that the true Lambert was starting to show. He relished being the pantomime villain but crucially it was while being part of a successful setup. The question was what would he be like when the going got tough. Lucky for us, that didn’t happen during his time with us as we continued to rise until he then went onto, arguably, a bigger job. It was only at subsequent clubs that the cracks appeared and his lack of ability to handle them became all too apparent.

The 1p5wich game seems pivotal as I never thought of him as that out of control until that point. I thought him a cool headed, calculated individual who was a master of mind games. That day he was just a bitter, petulant washed up has been who was really beginning to realise it and his only action was to make it all about himself one more time.

I thank him for all the memories of 3 wonderful seasons. For giving us the best out of Holt and Hoolahan, two of my all time favourite city players. For giving us such memorable moments as Holt vs Reading, Liverpool away, all the last minute winners and the Jackson moment.

But for how he’s acted every time he’s returned to Carrow Rd (and as much as he did for the club, we made his career), Lambert and 1p5wich are welcome to each other. 

I think its worth remembering the clubs the size of Nottingham Forest, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday spent extended time in League One so despite the potential it still takes good management to get a team straight back up. Similarly those teams then spent years trying to acheive what Lambert did the next season by taking us to the Premier League.

22 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Paul Lambert was brilliant for Norwich City  - Norwich City were brilliant for Paul Lambert.

Every fan I know will readily acknowledge the first part of that statement.

Paul Lambert has never acknowledged the second part of that statement. 

I don't think you have to look that hard for fans who wont acknowledge the first part of that statement.

There is often the caveats of 'he had Holt & Hoolahan' or 'Culverhouse was the real brains behind the operation' as if it could all have been done without Lambert. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I don't think you have to look that hard for fans who wont acknowledge the first part of that statement.

There is often the caveats of 'he had Holt & Hoolahan' or 'Culverhouse was the real brains behind the operation' as if it could all have been done without Lambert. 

I suppose it's just a natural explanation for why he not been successful post Norwich, he only had Culverhouse for part of his tenure at Villa and not since then. It does seem a bit odd that however many clubs later; Villa, Blackburn, Wolves, Stoke and now Ipswich he's not managed to find any kind of momentum like he did for us. How can a manager get it so right consistently for 3 seasons at Norwich and then fail in every following effort?

The use of Holt and Hoolahan against him is definitely harsh though. No one was looking at those players thinking they'd cut it in the prem when we were in league 1, the coaching team were the ones responsible for transforming them as part of the team's dramatic improvement. That should not be forgotten!

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I suppose it's just a natural explanation for why he not been successful post Norwich, he only had Culverhouse for part of his tenure at Villa and not since then. It does seem a bit odd that however many clubs later; Villa, Blackburn, Wolves, Stoke and now Ipswich he's not managed to find any kind of momentum like he did for us. How can a manager get it so right consistently for 3 seasons at Norwich and then fail in every following effort?

The use of Holt and Hoolahan against him is definitely harsh though. No one was looking at those players thinking they'd cut it in the prem when we were in league 1, the coaching team were the ones responsible for transforming them as part of the team's dramatic improvement. That should not be forgotten!

You could also add the he had Culverhouse for a decent chunk at Villa and it didn't go great then either and he's still managing at non-league level.

I think it was a case of lightening in a bottle- the right sort of manager with the right sort of team at the exact right time and it worked brilliantly. I can't imagine many managers getting a team regularly featuring Elliott Ward, Leon Barnett and Steve Morrison to 12th in the Premier League. 

Man for man I'm not sure you'd put many players from Lambert's squad into this one, yet he achieved more than we have done under Farke.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Why can't Lambert's success here be attributed to the so-called "perfect storm" like Farke's is....

I think where Farke has us now likely puts the perfect storm thing to bed a bit.

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

You could also add the he had Culverhouse for a decent chunk at Villa and it didn't go great then either and he's still managing at non-league level.

I think it was a case of lightening in a bottle- the right sort of manager with the right sort of team at the exact right time and it worked brilliantly. I can't imagine many managers getting a team regularly featuring Elliott Ward, Leon Barnett and Steve Morrison to 12th in the Premier League. 

Man for man I'm not sure you'd put many players from Lambert's squad into this one, yet he achieved more than we have done under Farke.

That's true, though I think Culverhouse was perhaps a bit disgraced after the fall-out from Villa? 

Agree with that, our Farke side is much better in terms of individual technique, but clearly Lambert gave our team a mental and physical edge that we haven't seen under Farke (in the prem anyway). 

Would the Lambert side that got promoted from the champs manage a 12th place finish in the current iteration of the prem? I don't think so, that said I'm sure it would still do better than what we managed last year! During Lambert's time staying up didn't feel quite as miraculous as it would do now, although maybe that feeling is just borne out of how p1ss poorly we did last season...

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

3 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

That's true, though I think Culverhouse was perhaps a bit disgraced after the fall-out from Villa? 

Agree with that, our Farke side is much better in terms of individual technique, but clearly Lambert gave our team a mental and physical edge that we haven't seen under Farke (in the prem anyway). 

During Lambert's time staying up didn't feel quite as miraculous as it would do now, although maybe that feeling is just borne out of how p1ss poorly we did last season...

Would the Lambert side that got promoted from the champs manage a 12th place finish in the current iteration of the prem? I don't think so, that said I'm sure it would still do better than what we managed last year!

Yeah I think the gap has increased between top of the Championship and even mid-table Premier League teams. You could argue Norwich under Lambert were the Sheffield United of that season and if he'd stayed maybe we'd have crashed back to earth- not sure I agree though. 

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says 'I'm only asking you to wear a mask. Not a fucking Ipswich Shirt'

Apologies for the language guys.

Well you can’t be surprised that I’ve just reported you for use of the I-word... disgusting behaviour.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I think its worth remembering the clubs the size of Nottingham Forest, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday spent extended time in League One so despite the potential it still takes good management to get a team straight back up. Similarly those teams then spent years trying to acheive what Lambert did the next season by taking us to the Premier League.

I’m not sure what the argument is here .  No-one disputes what Lambert , Karsa and Cully did here. It was incredible.

The point being made is that even during this time Lambert played the game. The club played down Burnley gate , but it was the start of things to come . 

Managers come and go , but most stay humble towards the Club , (or sign an NDA and don’t say anything) . Lambert has acted poorly . Lambert could easily say positive things about his time here but as far as I can recall chooses not to. 

Most managers leave clubs and at least acknowledge the fans . Lambert doesn’t . And when he took the Kings Shilling he decided to take a pathetically easy line of least resistance by this ridiculous postering with the Binners- who ,are I believe,  the greatest fans Lambert has ever experienced . 

Lambert is a strange piece of work. All the way back to Dunston Hall days , “fighting to save his marriage “ , Burnley , Villa , chucking Cully under the bus (and the disaster with Roy Keane) and a trail of underachievement with various clubs . Like many others before him he had his day in the sun and milked it for all it was worth . 

The PR when he joined the Binners bordered on the desperate and they did of course lap it up. Hats off the Lambert though because he continued to play the game and got a 5 year contract . When he really should be concentrating on his team , he sends his agent into Mucus and demands a longer contract. It all sounds like Burnley again. 

Even Brian Hamilton still has some humility towards us. But Lambert threw the whole Lot in the bin , culminating in their thrashing as CR last time we played. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

And when he took the Kings Shilling he decided to take a pathetically easy line of least resistance by this ridiculous postering with the Binners- who ,are I believe,  the greatest fans Lambert has ever experienced . 

I know what you mean but you might make things clearer with a swift edit to dispel potential misunderstandings... 😆

I can think of a dozen better words of the cuff.. sycophantic.. lollipop-sucking... ditch-licking ... tragic ...?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I’m not sure what the argument is here .  No-one disputes what Lambert , Karsa and Cully did here. It was incredible.

My argument is quite a few people do dispute it- you only have to look a few posts up to see someone suggesting it was owed more to Holt and Hoolahan than it was Lambert.

I'm not disputing anything about him as a person or what he's done post Norwich. But almost every time he gets bought up nowadays you'll see several people try and play down the achievement here, which is what bugs me.

On 11/01/2021 at 12:15, king canary said:

That's not true though. When he came in we'd just destroyed Yeovil (at the time only a league below us) 4-0 away in the League Cup,  and we then drew 1-1 at Exeter, so there were already signs that Gunn's team was beginning to gel.

I'm not decrying what Lambert achieved - but the players were already there. 

Just now, sgncfc said:

That's not true though. When he came in we'd just destroyed Yeovil (at the time only a league below us) 4-0 away in the League Cup,  and we then drew 1-1 at Exeter, so there were already signs that Gunn's team was beginning to gel.

So we'd won a meaningless cup game and then drawn with a team who finished 18th that season? I don't think that changes much.

I can maybe get behind 'the players were already there to get back to the Championship.' But even then I don't think it was a given we'd go back up, plenty of stronger squads have failed due to poor management. And they certainly weren't already there to get immediately promoted again and then finish 12th in the Premier League (with out highest Premier League points total since it became a 20 team league). 

Interesting points of view on this topic, I think he did a great job....but.....Cully and Karsa played a big part plus our squad was too good for league 1. The end result was a perfect storm. The club did well, the players did well and so did Lambert financially but now he seems, bitter, twisted and trying desperately to cling onto what will probably be his last job in football if he screws this up.......fingers crossed ! He has had his career, he should pa k up and disappear.

22 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

You are Susan Gunn and i claim my £5.

On 11/01/2021 at 12:07, Midlands Yellow said:

If Culverhouse was the driving force for the success is anyone surprised he hasn’t been headhunted by a full time pro club. He is doing a great job at Kings Lynn so could he be the answer to a team like Ipswich when Lambert inevitably gets sacked. 

Its hugely surprising how Lambert has struggled, I strongly believe tactical he is poor, and his attitude and stubbornness doesn't help. However I feel the club has something bigger to deal with. Mcgoldrick has gone on to score in the Premier league and Mings a frankly average player for Ipswich is now an England player, neither of which managed by Lambert. Its lazy to moan about the Norwich connection, but the club has been struggling since our play off losses to West ham, its a long way back now.

4 minutes ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

Its hugely surprising how Lambert has struggled, I strongly believe tactical he is poor, and his attitude and stubbornness doesn't help. However I feel the club has something bigger to deal with. Mcgoldrick has gone on to score in the Premier league and Mings a frankly average player for Ipswich is now an England player, neither of which managed by Lambert. Its lazy to moan about the Norwich connection, but the club has been struggling since our play off losses to West ham, its a long way back now.

Marcus Evans.