cambridgeshire canary

The Daniel Barden appreciation Society

26 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I didn't see the game but sometimes rookie goalies get overpraised for a few good saves while failings in other areas are overlooked. I'm not at all saying that is what is happening here but how, for example, would posters rate his handling, decision-making in terms of when to come for crosses and when not, his level of calmness/panic, his comfort/discomfort in acting as a sweeper (as all modern keepers have to), his physical presence (the Championship is a physically tough league), and most importantly his positional sense, which is the key to all good goalkeeping.

All of the things you mention he did well today (except the sweeper keeper thing because the situation never arose). It's only one game, so as others have said we shouldn't get carried away, but he can be rightly proud of his day's work. 

Let him play the Cardiff game and reassess then. If Krul is over Covid send him on loan at the end of the month, or keep him here as the backup. But you never know with this disease, it could linger on, in which case Barden will need some help anyway and I’d be nervous having that be another inexperienced academy product. 

Are Oxborough and Mair above Barden in the pending order? Did Barden play due to our other young keepers being on loan? If we loan out Barden then who plays if Krul and experienced number 2 get injured?

Young keepers need to play regularly, not sit on the bench, but how many of the above will be number one keeper for us?

Maybe this was the advantage of reserve games.

Edited by The Bristol Nest

15 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Are Oxborough and Mair above Barden in the pending order? Did Barden play due to our other young keepers being on loan? If we loan out Barden then who plays if Krul and experienced number 2 get injured?

Young keepers need to play regularly, not sit on the bench, but how many of the above will be number one keeper for us?

Maybe this was the advantage of reserve games.

I think Oxborough was, but has been injured since the summer

If Mair is at Kings Lynn then it would suggest he is further along than Barden, who was at Bury.

As to Krul, footballers seem to be back playing fairly quickly with it being the length of quarantine rather than any effects that causes the delay

• Like 1

I'm old enough to remember a 19 year old Andy Marshall having to take over from an injured Bryan Gunn. That all went very well to start with but the lack of an experienced goalkeeper was one of the reasons that season did not end well. Too much pressure on Daniel at the moment could be detrimental to his progress and to only have a teenage backup for him would be great folly. It is imperative we get another experienced keeper in. We must remember Daniel Barden was back up to McGovern, not Timm Krul.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I'm old enough to remember a 19 year old Andy Marshall having to take over from an injured Bryan Gunn.

That doesn't make you that old !

"I'm old enough to remember a 19 year old Andy Marshall having to take over from an injured Bryan Gunn. That all went very well to start with but the lack of an experienced goalkeeper was one of the reasons that season did not end well. Too much pressure on Daniel at the moment could be detrimental to his progress and to only have a teenage backup for him would be great folly. It is imperative we get another experienced keeper in. We must remember Daniel Barden was back up to McGovern, not Timm Krul."

Andy Marshall went on to have a decent career though, as has Rudd and perhaps even Jed Steer. Also Lewis.

Marshall's career was sidelined by his ill-advised spell at Portman Road, where he was doomed to failure before even parking himself between the sticks.

Barden's elevation must be a bit of a blow for poor Aston Oxborough, our previous number three and highly rated. I wonder how his healing  progresses, btw.

What with Mair and McCracken to consider, the conveyor belt clearly rolls on at pace. 

The worldwide hub of young goalkeepers?

We have been, and it seems are now, very fortunate to have so many talented keepers. Unfortunately the one thing we do not have, at the moment, is experience in that position, and that I feel could be a great mistake. If we had more certainty about Timm's illness (and even his injury) it would not be quite so bad. 

50 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I'm old enough to remember a 19 year old Andy Marshall having to take over from an injured Bryan Gunn. That all went very well to start with but the lack of an experienced goalkeeper was one of the reasons that season did not end well. Too much pressure on Daniel at the moment could be detrimental to his progress and to only have a teenage backup for him would be great folly. It is imperative we get another experienced keeper in. We must remember Daniel Barden was back up to McGovern, not Timm Krul.

His full game was at home to a rampant Newcastle attack (including Andy Cole, I think) and produced one of the greatest exhibitions of shot-stopping I have ever seen, and somehow we won 2-1. There is an idea that display persuaded Chase not to get a proper replacement, but as you say later on we regretted it. We won one game the whole of the rest of the season, at home to Ipswich. I remember Simon Tracey was brought in at one point and played one game...

• Like 1

I well remember that game on December 31st 1994, one of the most one sided 2-1 wins I've ever seen! - Newcastle should have won that game 6-2 but Andy Marshall almost singlehandedly keep them at bay!

Bardons certainly got potential!

19 minutes ago, kingsway said:

I well remember that game on December 31st 1994, one of the most one sided 2-1 wins I've ever seen! - Newcastle should have won that game 6-2 but Andy Marshall almost singlehandedly keep them at bay!

Bardons certainly got potential!

I drove back to London thinking well that is us safe for another season. Just need two or three wins and the odd draw from the last 20 games...

Whilst I didn't watch the game, I've watched the highlights, which, presumably included all of the noteworthy saves. I've got to say that they were relatively routine? If any of them had gone in, questions would have been asked.

I also remember promising Marshall having to fill in for Gunn. Let's not let that happen again...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bill said:

I think Oxborough was, but has been injured since the summer

If Mair is at Kings Lynn then it would suggest he is further along than Barden, who was at Bury.

As to Krul, footballers seem to be back playing fairly quickly with it being the length of quarantine rather than any effects that causes the delay

In general maybe but there is one at Newcastle who has been ill for sometime. They're very concerned about him. Sorry, his name escapes me at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, Badger said:

For those of you with access, a very interesting article below:

https://theathletic.com/2312928/2021/01/11/barden-norwich-football-soccer/

For those without access there are noticeably good deals available atm and a free trial. 

Yeah, I signed up a few weeks ago for £1 month, lots of good stuff on there from Michael Bailey who for me is the best journo when it comes to all things NCFC

19 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Whilst I didn't watch the game, I've watched the highlights, which, presumably included all of the noteworthy saves. I've got to say that they were relatively routine? If any of them had gone in, questions would have been asked.

I also remember promising Marshall having to fill in for Gunn. Let's not let that happen again...

Indeed. We should definitely get in an experienced back-up.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, All the Germans said:

The only problem was that the more experienced back ups that we got in for Gunn to support Marshall were useless as I remember it? Getting in good backups is the challenge.

I know it's been mentioned in the match thread, but I thought I'd give this a bump. Barden didn't really have a lot to do today, but everything he had to do he did well. Was particularly impressed with his distribution - he never looked the least bit fussed playing it out from the back, even when Cardiff tried to press him. 

I said to my lad today but I feel totally at ease with him on goal.

unsure why but he has just slotted in . I think it’s always nice to bring youngsters in so maybe that’s part of it.

if you think he is training and being around Krul every day, what a great situation for him also ?

• Like 1

He looks so composed, being comfortable with the ball at his feet is so much more of a demand on keepers in the modern game and he actually looks more composed that Krul.

Certainly proven that he's a better option that McGovern and ironic that we only got to see this because of McGoverns injury.

He looked very good yesterday.  In particular I thought he coped really well when he made a mistake with his passing.  He shook it off quickly.  I actually fel more confident with Daniel there than McGovern.

I like the way he's comfortable making first time passes with either foot, essential to moving their forwards about and to the way we build from the back. McGovern always seems to need to take a touch.

But what happened to his hair? Are we sure it isn't nits, rather than Covid, in the camp?

1 hour ago, Fuzzar said:

I like the way he's comfortable making first time passes with either foot, essential to moving their forwards about and to the way we build from the back. McGovern always seems to need to take a touch.

But what happened to his hair? Are we sure it isn't nits, rather than Covid, in the camp?

Apparently Hugill got to him with the clippers. 

• Haha 1