cambridgeshire canary

The Daniel Barden appreciation Society

What a top performance from the lad- Would you have expected such a fantastic display for someone who's only prior regular gametime was in the 7th tier? Could we have a future number one on our hands.. 🤔

kiss.png

Are you intending to start an 'appreciation society' for every time a player has a good game?

Recent threads suggest yes.

• Like 3

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

Man of the match for me.... 

Agreed, didn’t put a foot wrong and made at least 4-5 key saves. Brilliant performance from the young lad.

• Like 1

Barden had a great game today. Maybe he’s the next Canary great in a few years time! 

Edited by Jersey Canary

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Are you intending to start an 'appreciation society' for every time a player has a good game?

Recent threads suggest yes.

Are you upset that I think that a player who played fantastic deservers praise? How sad. We won and all you can do is be sad and bitter. Cheers up, suns out and we just advanced in the cup.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

9 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Reminds me of Kevin Keelan.

No way Keelan was far better looking!

Great performance from the lad.

Edited by Indy

22 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Keelan's Grandad will have something to say about that. 

My hair is whiter but there is little between us in athletic ability😇

So pleased with Bardens performance. Not just the saves but catching crosses and assured with the ball at his feet. Something that Supermac isn't.

And we still have Oxbrough to come back.

Edited by keelansgrandad

I'd be happy to have Barden as our number two based on that performance, and Oxborough should be back soon to play as number three. Rather that than bring in some second-rate journeyman. If you're good enough you're old enough, and Barden actually looks more composed and commanding than McGovern did... plus his distribution seems better too.

• Like 2

I sent my match comments to a friend 30 minutes ago & started with 'My man of the match would be Barden'.

Mind you he should have been good. Lost count of the, mostly unnecessary in my opinion, back passes he received form Hanley. I think they call it 'on the job training'...........

Either way, a really solid, confidence building performance from him. Well done.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'd be happy to have Barden as our number two based on that performance, and Oxborough should be back soon to play as number three. Rather that than bring in some second-rate journeyman. If you're good enough you're old enough, and Barden actually looks more composed and commanding than McGovern did... plus his distribution seems better too.

It's not going to be good for his development to be sitting around waiting for a first choice keeper to get injured, as often just doesn't happen. 

The experienced pair of hands (that's a much kinder description than second rate journeyman) makes more sense if there is little prospect of succession in the near future, which there isn't because Krul is class and is here for 3.5 more seasons. 

John Ruddy went out on loan from Everton to all over the place, and went on to win an England cap. Forster the same of course! Think Nick Pope did loads of loans? 

I'm assuming if we are in the market for an experienced pair of hands (e.g. Nyland) it will be for a number 2 to replace McGovern, who is out of contact at the end of the season? Or if promoted McGovern goes back to number 3?

Also, third choice keepers get absolutely battered and bruised in training doing corner drills etc. Part of their job to protect first choice keepers... Probably not wise for Oxborough after long term inkury... should find a League 2 loan.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

A great display, obviously we don't get to be privy to training but I wonder if we'll still be looking to bring someone in after his display today

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Are you upset that I think that a player who played fantastic deservers praise? How sad. We won and all you can do is be sad and bitter. Cheers up, suns out and we just advanced in the cup.

It was a joke. Because yknow, you create an 'appreciation society' thread whenever a player has a good game.

I see Tranfermarkt have upped his value to £90k 

😂😂😂🤣

Obviously they didn’t watch the match. I think DF will have been pleased with that performance from the lad....

080609D5-2BC7-46C0-8FD9-C2B23EECF3EF.png

14 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It's not going to be good for his development to be sitting around waiting for a first choice keeper to get injured, as often just doesn't happen. 

The experienced pair of hands (that's a much kinder description than second rate journeyman) makes more sense if there is little prospect of succession in the near future, which there isn't because Krul is class and is here for 3.5 more seasons. 

John Ruddy went out on loan from Everton to all over the place, and went on to win an England cap. Forster the same of course! Think Nick Pope did loads of loans? 

I'm assuming if we are in the market for an experienced pair of hands (e.g. Nyland) it will be for a number 2 to replace McGovern, who is out of contact at the end of the season? Or if promoted McGovern goes back to number 3?

Also, third choice keepers get absolutely battered and bruised in training doing corner drills etc. Part of their job to protect first choice keepers... Probably not wise for Oxborough after long term inkury... should find a League 2 loan.

I can see where you're coming from here, to be fair. I'm actually going to do a complete about-turn and agree with you on this! I guess the only caveat would be that the incoming experienced keeper would need to be comfortable enough with his feet to 'play the Norwich way', otherwise we'd actually be better off with Barden. But yeah, nobody is going to displace a fully fit Tim Krul, and if Barden can get some EFL football that'll be better for his development than just sitting on the bench.

Don't know when Krul might be back, hopefully next week, but on that performance, then we have a goalie to genuinely challenge Krul for the shirt. His stature/reputation enhanced no end after that.

34 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

I see Tranfermarkt have upped his value to £90k 

😂😂😂🤣

Obviously they didn’t watch the match. I think DF will have been pleased with that performance from the lad....

080609D5-2BC7-46C0-8FD9-C2B23EECF3EF.png

Did Oxborough play as I'm sure Barden played in goal 😆

I didn't see the game but sometimes rookie goalies get overpraised for a few good saves while failings in other areas are overlooked. I'm not at all saying that is what is happening here but how, for example, would posters rate his handling, decision-making in terms of when to come for crosses and when not, his level of calmness/panic, his comfort/discomfort in acting as a sweeper (as all modern keepers have to), his physical presence (the Championship is a physically tough league), and most importantly his positional sense, which is the key to all good goalkeeping.

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I didn't see the game but sometimes rookie goalies get overpraised for a few good saves while failings in other areas are overlooked. I'm not at all saying that is what is happening here but how, for example, would posters rate his handling, decision-making in terms of when to come for crosses and when not, his level of calmness/panic, his comfort/discomfort in acting as a sweeper (as all modern keepers have to), his physical presence (the Championship is a physically tough league), and most importantly his positional sense, which is the key to all good goalkeeping.

Looked much more assured which makes sense. Starting and knowing you’ll start will give you time to prepare over being dropped in it because of an injury. Looks a good pro! Hope we can develop him, possibly a decent loan next season.

Young keepers, more than any other position, need game time at a good level due to the mental pressures of the position, and he's not getting past Krul. The ideal place for him would be a ball-playing League One or League Two side.

I've said before that Bolton under Ian Evatt would be a very good place to go as they try to keep it on the floor nowadays. I stick to this.

21 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I think we should develop Barden carefully. We’ve had so many young keepers in the past who we got excited about but how many actually lived up to the hype? Jed Steer has probably done the best but he is only second choice at Villa now (is he injured?). Then there’s Angus Gunn, Declan Rudd, Remi Matthews and Joe Lewis who all eventually settled at Championship level at best, but were raved about before they actually played at first team level.

A promising start for sure, but let’s not put too much pressure too early on him. 

I just posted this on the match thread but seems more appropriate here.

Ideal scenario now is to sign an experience keeper as a back up to Krul until the end of the season and then in current window send Barden out on loan to a ball-playing League One or Two side to get him regular games. 

If he performs well and has a good season, he can then be full-time back up to Krul.