Sign in to follow this  
mannings bandy legs

Mannings Bandy Legs

I know we're not the only team that does it,but why oh why,when defending,don't we leave two players up top,one who can hold it and one with a bit of pace. Gives you a chance of relieving pressure,also requires opposition to keep three back.Also,your own area is less congested.Never understood why.

1 minute ago, mannings bandy legs said:

I know we're not the only team that does it,but why oh why,when defending,don't we leave two players up top,one who can hold it and one with a bit of pace. Gives you a chance of relieving pressure,also requires opposition to keep three back.Also,your own area is less congested.Never understood why.

I know ,got my titles wrong way round!!!!!🤣

Think to leave one player with pace on halfway line would cause opposition to have 3 players back

Edited by daly

I agree with this, the whole key to zonal marking defending is to catch the opposition out with a counter attack, can't really do that without leaving at least one up. 

21 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I agree with this, the whole key to zonal marking defending is to catch the opposition out with a counter attack, can't really do that without leaving at least one up. 

Whilst I also would leave one up for a defensive corner, catching the opponents with a counter attack is no more of a key to zonal than it is man marking.

39 minutes ago, daly said:

Think to leave one player with pace on halfway line would cause opposition to have 3 players back

Doubt it personally... the full-backs usually stay back, and they tend to be faster than centre-backs. You'd have one man on him and one man spare, that'd probably be sufficient.

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

Whilst I also would leave one up for a defensive corner, catching the opponents with a counter attack is no more of a key to zonal than it is man marking.

Well it is, it's literally one of the biggest reasons for using it. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

When you are defending you are trying to deny the opposition time and space. The best way to do this at corners is to bring everybody back. 

When two or more defenders of the attacking team they are facing the correct way for any long balls hooked away at corners, set pieces etc. Therefore, they are at a big advantage to get to the ball first and play it forward into a danger area because they have a good view in front of them. If they are well up with the attack at corners then they have to reach the ball first, turn and play a ball forward which is much slower and the turn is dangerous as they can't see what is happening behind them - and the safest choice is to play it back to the goalkeeper. So when defending corners etc. you don't want to encourage too many players holding back, making them favourites to win possession when the move breaks down.

Edited by Rock The Boat

I remember Brighton coming to Carrow Road a few years ago and they always left 2 up for their defending corners, 1 went really wide left and the in other really wide right, meant we had to leave 3 back so less to attack the ball.

They had 2 giant centre halfs though who won most of the crosses but it worked well as a great counter attack option.