cambridgeshire canary

*SEMI OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD*

Did all our hard work in the first half. Coventry obviously had a couple of chances and forced Barden into some good saves, but it didn't feel like they were overly bothered and were never going to be busting a gut to get back into the game (understandably).  Likewise we were happy just to conserve some energy rather than try and find that 3rd goal.

Between Tettey and McLean for man of the match, though Barden also deserves to be up there. You'd never know that was only his 2nd ever start in senior football. Obviously the club have said we're looking for a goalkeeper that can deputise Tim Krul, but if for some reason we miss out and Barden is forced into that role I will not be unhappy at all. Good to see Xavi and Placheta get 90 minutes. Particularly in the first half both of them were impressive, with Placheta playing a crucial role in both goals. Sorenson was very calm and composed in midfield too, look forward to seeing more of him there.

Hopefully now some of our key players have had a rest and those on the fringes or returning from injury have got some good minutes under their belt we can really look to kick on in the league during the 2nd half of the season and extend our lead at the top over the next 2 games!

Just now, Pukki Blinders said:

Did all our hard work in the first half. Coventry obviously had a couple of chances and forced Barden into some good saves, but it didn't feel like they were overly bothered and were never going to be busting a gut to get back into the game (understandably).  Likewise we were happy just to conserve some energy rather than try and find that 3rd goal.

Between Tettey and McLean for man of the match, though Barden also deserves to be up there. You'd never know that was only his 2nd ever start in senior football. Obviously the club have said we're looking for a goalkeeper that can deputise Tim Krul, but if for some reason we miss out and Barden is forced into that role I will not be unhappy at all. Good to see Xavi and Placheta get 90 minutes. Particularly in the first half both of them were impressive, with Placheta playing a crucial role in both goals. Sorenson was very calm and composed in midfield too, look forward to seeing more of him there.

Hopefully now some of our key players have had a rest and those on the fringes or returning from injury have got some good minutes under their belt we can really look to kick on in the league during the 2nd half of the season and extend our lead at the top over the next 2 games!

Agree with most of that except I think that you could just as easily given motm to Sorenson as Barden, Tetty or McClean. All four deserved it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

I think we will but have Godden out for another few months, Walker will also end up being out for months as well and we have little budget to replace them with. If we could just take our chances we'd have been 2 up before you'd even scored-but don't take them and that's what happens.

You got Mark Robins ... of course you will!

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Missed the match being indisposed, how did Kenny play? 

Ran the first half, quieter in the second (I do think he struggles to influence games after 70 mins into a start) but still won some important free kicks for us etc.

I think we should develop Barden carefully. We’ve had so many young keepers in the past who we got excited about but how many actually lived up to the hype? Jed Steer has probably done the best but he is only second choice at Villa now (is he injured now?). Then there’s Angus Gunn, Declan Rudd, Remi Matthews and Joe Lewis who all eventually settled at Championship level at best, but were raved about before they actually played at first team level.

A promising start for sure, but let’s not put too much pressure too early on him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I think we should develop Barden carefully. We’ve had so many young keepers in the past who we got excited about but how many actually lived up to the hype? Jed Steer has probably done the best but he is only second choice at Villa now (is he injured now?). Then there’s Angus Gunn, Declan Rudd, Remi Matthews and Joe Lewis who all eventually settled at Championship level at best, but were raved about before they actually played at first team level.

A promising start for sure, but let’s not put too much pressure too early on him. 

Joe Lewis was particularly heralded as the next best thing. Played a few U21 games for England and was unbelievably good on one of the Championship Managers. Shame, because I always liked him after I saw him walking out of stadium after a match whilst he was a youth teamer looking thoroughly miffed at the defeat we'd just had. He really was one of our own.