Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Three NCFC Positive Covid Tests

According to the club we've had three positives come back from the last round of testing.

Obviously we don't know who but fingers crossed they are all feeling OK and won't be out for long.

Jesus christ you're quick, was just about to submit 

Seriously though- They have mentioned staff too, so I would assume its both players and staff. Quick recovery, but I got a feeling this is only going to get worse

Tim Krul has confirmed he is one of the positive tests, which is a real shame. Good chance for Barden in the cup though.

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

Tim Krul has confirmed he is one of the positive tests, which is a real shame. Good chance for Barden in the cup though.

2 senior players it would seem.

Knowing our luck the other one will be Pukki or emi..

20210108_122200.jpg

Has to put tomorrow’s game in doubt now, anyone Tim and the other 2 players have been in direct contact with will have to self isolate for 10 days now. I would have thought that’s most of the squad surely?

The only silver lining is that, as long as it is contained, whoever is isolating should be available for the game next saturday as long as they have no lasting effects as it'll past 10 days

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Has to put tomorrow’s game in doubt now, anyone Tim and the other 2 players have been in direct contact with will have to self isolate for 10 days now. I would have thought that’s most of the squad surely?

I'm not sure that's how it is being applied in football. I think you only have to isolate if you have a positive test. Everyone in the squad with a negative test are available is how I understand it. I would imagine the protocol would be to retest the rest of the squad in time before the game 

Edited by AJ

6 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Given how prior to the Barnsly match Farke was all 'These things happen but we must carry on with football regardless' I highly doubt the match is going to be called off.

That and it would be very hyprocritical to call it off given we wanted to play the Barnsley match when they had positive cases.

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given how prior to the Barnsly match Farke was all 'These things happen but we must carry on with football regardless' I highly doubt the match is going to be called off.

That and it would be very hyprocritical to call it off given we wanted to play the Barnsley match when they had positive cases.

Never said we ourselves would call it off, but that decision maybe taken out of hands as changes in measures come into play.

Lets face it, it seemed odd to me that our game could go ahead against Barnsley given that Covid was present within their squad.

Not to mention we’d just played QPR who also had some positive tests.

I raised eyebrows at this at the time, and still believe the quick turnaround in games doesn’t give testing a 100% chance of being accurate, but I’d hazard a guess the chances are fairly high that these 2 games were where transmission occurred - you only have to be within breathing distance after all, and Krul is right in the middle of those players during corners.

The system is not good enough.

23 minutes ago, AJ said:

I'm not sure that's how it is being applied in football. I think you only have to isolate if you have a positive test. Everyone in the squad with a negative test are available is how I understand it. I would imagine the protocol would be to retest the rest of the squad in time before the game 

And that’s what’s wrong with it. I don’t want our beloved football to come to a halt anymore than the next diehard, but at the end of the day I care for the players and staff’s well being and health more. That must be paramount. 

Given the money in football, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if clubs are exploring the possibility of accessing the vaccine ASAP.

Edited by Alex Moss

29 minutes ago, AJ said:

The only silver lining is that, as long as it is contained, whoever is isolating should be available for the game next saturday as long as they have no lasting effects as it'll past 10 days

Yeah, although match fitness might limit them, this virus is really fatiguing. 

14 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

And that’s what’s wrong with it. I don’t want our beloved football to come to a halt anymore than the next diehard, but at the end of the day I care for the players and staff’s well being and health more. That must be paramount. 

Given the money in football, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if clubs are exploring the possibility of accessing the vaccine ASAP.

At the moment the Government have clearly stated the vaccine is not for private sale, as it rightly should be. Stop football that's the easy option. The current crisis is far more important than kicking a ball about. 

• Like 3

Just now, City fan said:

At the moment the Government have clearly stated the vaccine is not for private sale, as it rightly should be. Stop football that's the easy option. The current crisis is far more important than kicking a ball about. 

I get that, and don’t get me wrong, the elderly and vulnerable must be vaccinated first. However, that doesn’t mean there’s not enough to be able to do this currently, as far as I know rolling the vaccine out is only limited by the logistics, not because we don’t have enough jabs available ready to go. It’d be a small number in the scheme of things anyway so for that reason I really don’t see why this isn’t possible if they’re so hellbent on keeping elite level sport going - footballers health matters too, and they’re arguably being put at more risk meeting people from around the country than all of us stuck at home in near isolation.

The vaccine is primarily to stop the NHS being swamped,  its a vaccine that has a limited supply which should be controlled centrally, and not have the rich getting a covid passport early. We all have a selfish case to get it but here we are talking about fit and healthy young athletes who have a very small risk of requiring treatment should they catch it.    Krul feeling under the weather is a typical response - he will almost certainly be fit for the next league game.

As long as they stay bubbled (the issue) and now that the EFL has made twice weekly testing mandatory  it should remain managable.

Too many footballers already think they are outside of the rules of real people (Walker, Grealish etc flouting of the rules),  this would only exacerbate that feeling.

• Like 1

Farke says the other player is Idah and then it is a backroom staff member. From an on the pitch angle only Krul really hurts us at the moment.

Stop elite sport then. It isn't just football is it; Rugby, Horse Racing, you name it.

But I suspect all those greedy footballers (some who have been flouting the rules) will get their hands on the vaccine first. Something very wrong with this world.

53 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Hope they recover with no long term affications.

Yep, thats the big worry for professional sportsmen and women, several pros now suffering with long covid which is why IMO we should either be a lot more stringent on the rules for professional sport or it should have a break.

Edited by Van wink

The farce of elite sport carrying on in the middle of a pandemic and a national lockdown gathers pace.

• Like 2

A fair assumption that Krul picked it up during the Barnsley match particularly as they had some positives before the game. That doesn't explain Idah though which raises the possibility that he may have caught it from within the club.

These are actually people, irrespective of their ‘bank balances’ or ‘fame’.

And just because it doesn’t kill a young, fit sportsman that’s not to say it won’t those that they inevitably have to come into contact with - older staff and officials at their respective clubs for example.

If there is a shortage of vaccines available then that’s one thing, but that’s not how I understand it.

I’m not saying elite sport MUST continue. But if it does then those involved have EVERY right to a vaccine irrespective of wealth and fame.

• Like 1

Maybe he's been licking door handles. If all 3 have been infected from separate sources it's even more worrying! I think it's more likely to be complacency tbh.

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

These are actually people, irrespective of their ‘bank balances’ or ‘fame’.

And just because it doesn’t kill a young, fit sportsman that’s not to say it won’t those that they inevitably have to come into contact with - older staff and officials at their respective clubs for example.

If there is a shortage of vaccines available then that’s one thing, but that’s not how I understand it.

I’m not saying elite sport MUST continue. But if it does then those involved have EVERY right to a vaccine irrespective of wealth and fame.

Alex there is a pecking order for those who are going to receive the vaccine and it seems reasonable to me and i am happy to wait my turn so i hope you are not suggesting that elite sport jumps the queue . Sport will get their turn after the more vunerable in society and key workers.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, king canary said:

Farke says the other player is Idah and then it is a backroom staff member. From an on the pitch angle only Krul really hurts us at the moment.

I suspect Barden would have started tomorrow anyway. The next couple of league games might be a concern though. 

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Alex there is a pecking order for those who are going to receive the vaccine and it seems reasonable to me and i am happy to wait my turn so i hope you are not suggesting that elite sport jumps the queue . Sport will get their turn after the more vunerable in society and key workers.

I thought I was clear, so I’ll put it this way John.

And I’m not having anyone put words in my mouth by suggesting I’m saying sportsmen should jump the queue at the expense of the elderly and key workers etc because that is not what I’m saying whatsoever - that should be quite clear.

If there are more vaccines available than can be currently rolled out to the public, and so my suggestion wouldn’t therefore affect the priority groups, then I see no reason why each individual club doctor cannot administer them. In that scenario it doesn’t affect the priority groups at all if there’s more vaccines available than vaccinators so I don’t see anything wrong with that at all.

However, IF there is a vaccine shortage, and that is what is holding up the vaccinations, then of course those jabs must be reserved for the elderly, vulnerable, key workers etc. That’s common sense.

My understanding is there’s more vaccine available, and continued to be available, than what they can logistically get into people’s arms at this point. If that’s the case, then my point stands. If not, then it doesn’t. Simple!

13 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I suspect Barden would have started tomorrow anyway. The next couple of league games might be a concern though. 

I think Farke has said Barden is our Cup keeper for the season. 

• Like 1

How long will do we need a circuit break to be to be effective? If two weeks still two months of winter temperatures, if 4 still 6 weeks.  A curcuit break needs to be until March the same as current lockdown.  As such a circuit break does not appeal to football authorities, who will be keen to complete this season as a priority.

As it stands under 50's not categorised as a priority for the vaccine.  It is only those over 50 or under 50's with health issues that are planned to get the vaccine.  And once all those categories at risk have received the vaccine it is believed the pandemic will be controllable.  The risk of death from the virus will be largely eradicated.

Under 50's will have to wait for a vaccine after 20m at risk have been vaccinated.   

So if Krul was tested Monday and he has to quarantine for 10 days, all things being well he is back for the next league match right?