Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Burnley takeover - only £15m of new money

Once again the truth behind a takeover reveals that it will no panacea.  Given Burnley's current form, I think there's even more certainty Norwich will be swapping places with Burnley at the end of the season.  Careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

Agreed Shef. . Didn't know the percentage figure when this came out. That seems a deal that most of us would try if we could find a Club to take us on! 

The new owner basically came out and said he’s not overly fussed if Burnley are Premier League or not. He’s happy to make an artsy theatre piece elsewhere apparently.

I bet their fans must be absolutely gutted!

And some of you would swap THAT for what we have now?! THAT could have been US!

£170m overall in new money and loans is peanuts these days and with loans to service, it means they will not be able to offer huge wages or spend huge on players, putting them in a similar situation to us financially except that they have debt hanging round their necks.

To call it a sustainable approach, which is what they have done, is spinning it in a way that is totally off the mark. It really offers nothing much except promises of committment and care of the club - which is fair enough if they live up to that, but then we have that already without having debt hanging over the club so we look to have a cleaner model. 

After all, would you want to have a club that has to pay out money to an outside source indefinitely, or a club that can keep every penny it earns? Seems a no brainer to me.

Sustainability relies on having no outside debt, otherwise it is not sustainability at all.

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

£170m overall in new money and loans is peanuts these days and with loans to service, it means they will not be able to offer huge wages or spend huge on players, putting them in a similar situation to us financially except that they have debt hanging round their necks.

To call it a sustainable approach, which is what they have done, is spinning it in a way that is totally off the mark. It really offers nothing much except promises of committment and care of the club - which is fair enough if they live up to that, but then we have that already without having debt hanging over the club so we look to have a cleaner model. 

After all, would you want to have a club that has to pay out money to an outside source indefinitely, or a club that can keep every penny it earns? Seems a no brainer to me.

Sustainability relies on having no outside debt, otherwise it is not sustainability at all.

That's how Man U operate isn't it? They seem to manage.

Why aren't we Burnl- Wait are you implying most football club owners tend to be scumbags only in it for the money and we should be happy and proud to have someone like Delia who clearly cares deeply about our club?

Well that should enable them to stump up for Buendia's left foot. They'll obviously need another take-over to afford the right one.

23 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Well that should enable them to stump up for Buendia's left foot. They'll obviously need another take-over to afford the right one.

If Arsenal do end up buying his left foot, I hope you are hired to coach Buendia on how to continue performing with his stump leg, after you managed such a glittering career under similar circumstances.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Why aren't we Burnl- Wait are you implying most football club owners tend to be scumbags only in it for the money and we should be happy and proud to have someone like Delia who clearly cares deeply about our club?

I think scumbags is a harsh generalisation but it's so hard to make money from a lowly premier-league club that people shouldalways be incredibly suspicious of randomers wanting buy a football club. I wouldn't be jumping for joy if I was a Burnley fan right now.

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

If Arsenal do end up buying his left foot, I hope you are hired to coach Buendia on how to continue performing with his stump leg, after you managed such a glittering career under similar circumstances.

Haha! Amazed you still remember. Great stuff!!!

4 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Such inspiration tends to stick with you!

I shall remember your fine words the next time it gets cut off.

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Once again the truth behind a takeover reveals that it will no panacea.  Given Burnley's current form, I think there's even more certainty Norwich will be swapping places with Burnley at the end of the season.  Careful what you wish for.

Not sure what you mean about their current form- last six games have produced 3 wins, 2 draws and one loss and left them 5 points clear of relegation?

44 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think scumbags is a harsh generalisation but it's so hard to make money from a lowly premier-league club that people shouldalways be incredibly suspicious of randomers wanting buy a football club. I wouldn't be jumping for joy if I was a Burnley fan right now.

I am extra suspicious of what American owners aim to get out of it, as owning a football team over here is much different to a sports franchise in America which is pretty much a license to print money.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I am extra suspicious of what American owners aim to get out of it, as owning a football team over here is much different to a sports franchise in America which is pretty much a license to print money.

Yeah, and they must realise that.

I suppose if you can somehow keep the wagebill down and get a club to regularly finish midtable in the prem there's an opportunity to make money every season but not sure how the risk / reward weighs up for those with the sort of finances we're talking about.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, and they must realise that.

I suppose if you can somehow keep the wagebill down and get a club to regularly finish midtable in the prem there's an opportunity to make money every season but not sure how the risk / reward weighs up for those with the sort of finances we're talking about.

I think generally US ownership can be OK- you generally don't get the same dumb splurges you got at places like Portsmouth but I also think they are the type of owners who, if they don't get the success they are looking for, will just stop funding, like Lerner did at Villa.

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

£170m overall in new money and loans is peanuts these days

It is not new money, an unspecified amount of the money was borrowed to complete the purchase of the club from the previous owners. The debt of buying the club will lie with the club itself secured against its assets. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55551717

The loan comes from MSD UK Holdings (Dell's owner). They have also lent money to other clubs, for example Southampton and the "loan is secured against the club and its stadium and other intellectual properties such as trademarks owned by the club."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/msds-new-uk-holding-company-18537244

In essence, it looks like the new owners are doing is borrowing the money to buy the club using the assets of the club as security for the loan. If all goes well, they pocket the profits, if it doesn't they have the ground, the players and all the intellectual property rights to sell to recover any losses. They cannot lose.

It continues to astonish me that people want something like this for NCFC (not that I'm suggesting you do LDC).

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Ask Man Utd fans if they are happy with their owners and how they operate........

A fair point, but I think most Man U fans don't look past where they are in the table. That's why most of them are Man U fans in the first place!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3