pete

Arsenal take out £120m loan

Reading it sounds like they’re in a little financial trouble. But who knows, if I was lending them any loans it would be with a caveat of not using it to fund players during January, it’s a financial support loan! But we’ll see.

Without Emi we will not finish top 2 and the play offs are a gamble. I would reject any offer, even stupid money like 40m and promise him he can leave in the summer for a reasonable fee whatever division we're in. Only thing I'd consider right now would include a loan back for the rest of the season. We cannot throw this chance away this year, we still have Aarons, Cantwell, Idah and Martin who could make us some money in the future if we run into problems and have to sell again, but right now it would be a travesty if we lose Emi at this point this season. 

• Like 2

It would be very disappointing to lose any key player mid-season to another club and I can't see it happening, but what do I know.

Common sense says tell the players we are not selling anyone at this stage and reject any offers, which will send out a message to all and sundry that Emi and any of our players are not for sale, at least until the end of the season.

Edited by lake district canary

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Without Emi we will not finish top 2 and the play offs are a gamble. I would reject any offer, even stupid money like 40m and promise him he can leave in the summer for a reasonable fee whatever division we're in. Only thing I'd consider right now would include a loan back for the rest of the season. We cannot throw this chance away this year, we still have Aarons, Cantwell, Idah and Martin who could make us some money in the future if we run into problems and have to sell again, but right now it would be a travesty if we lose Emi at this point this season. 

That's an opinion which should not be stated as fact, as it's far from the case.

By suggesting that we are a one man team to that extent decries Farke's ability as a manager and the talents of the squad he has accumulated.

Furthermore, players like Hernadez and Placheta and Mumba are returning to the squad and the impressive Martin waits in the wings.

Undoubtedly, the loss of Buedia would reduce our chances of an immediate return, but to suggest that it would write them off completely does nobody any favours.

Our method of play would inevitably reflect his loss, but it need not be any less effective.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 3

There were rumours of a player plus cash deal with Willock and/or Nelson. If we could get both and £20 million, and both were on reasonable enough wages, I'd say that's a great deal.

I would have thought Willock would easily become our highest paid player. No reason for him to take a pay cut so I think we would have to rely on Arsenal paying off his contract. Would rather just have the cash, and lots of it. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We are Norwich City and will sell. 

We certainly will, at the right price.

As will every other club.

Saw him live for us last game where supporters were allowed in. Hoping it will not be the last

• Like 1

£120m for a deposit on Emi.
Full payment and add-ons for future success to be agreed later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

That's an opinion which should not be stated as fact, as it's far from the case.

By suggesting that we are a one man team to that extent decries Farke's ability as a manager and the talents of the squad he has accumulated.

Furthermore, players like Hernadez and Placheta and Mumba are returning to the squad and the impressive Martin waits in the wings.

Undoubtedly, the loss of Buedia would reduce our chances of an immediate return, but to suggest that it would write them off completely does nobody any favours.

Our method of play would inevitably reflect his loss, but it need not be any less effective.

I'm afraid the simple fact is that in the 11 championship games Emi hasn't started we have gained 9 points. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We are Norwich City and will sell. 

Just like we did when Liverpool came in for Lewis

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm afraid the simple fact is that in the 11 championship games Emi hasn't started we have gained 9 points. 

So Farke's management skills are not all they're bigged up to be?

So Pukki's goalscoring feats are a myth?

So Aarons is not that much of a prospect?

Without Emi we would have been doomed to mid-Championship mediocrity after all?

The suggestion that all the great moments over the past two/three years have been the caused by just one player is a bit of a bubble-burster for me.

Whilst I accept your statistic there might be a degree of 2 + 2 = 5 in your conclusion.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I seem to remember similar stats  to that when we were last in the champs

This loan Arsenal have taken out is apparently short term to cover covid based cash flow issues, not for buying players.

Everything I'm reading suggests Arsenal need to clear out a few players before they can spend much anyway.

19 minutes ago, city4eva said:

I seem to remember similar stats  to that when we were last in the champs

Yes. 

That was when it all started and I have assumed "Dylan's" figures include this spell.

I  seem to remember Buendia missed three games  due to suspension. Cantwell deputised and boy! Did he get some stick.

It may well have been a more accurate deduction two seasons ago. However,  Cantwell has come on beyond all expectations, and we have more options now than we did in those days (and as a result of Webber/Farkism.)

Besides it is a raw statistic, without qualification,  that fails to account for other factors. Not just the availability of options but also the form of others and even the quality of the opposition faced and the rub of the green on the day.

Was one an away draw at Wigan when that youngster ran the show, Reece James?

The bottom line is that I do not feel that our promotion chances would be scuppered by the sale of Buendia this January. Thank goodness that it seems unlikely to happen though.

Edited by BroadstairsR

18 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

It may well have been a more accurate deduction two seasons ago. However,  Cantwell has come on beyond all expectations, and we have more options now than we did in those days (and as a result of Webber/Farkism.)

While I generally agree that the statitstic is overplayed I'm not sure I agree with this part.

The way we're playing this season means we're scoring less than we were two seasons back and, conversely, more reliant on Buendia than ever. 

Last season he scored or assisted 20 times out of 93 goals (roughly 21% of our goals), this season he's scored or assisted 13 times out of 31 goals (around 41%) suggesting he's having even more of an influence than he did two seasons back.

We could really do with the supporting cast in attack finding their shooting boots to help out Emi and Teemu. Fingers crossed Todd and Dowell can do that.

• Like 2

Fair enough, but I'm really stating that we have more and better options now than then.

We won't play with ten men should Buendia go. The player that fills that gap will have his own particular contribution to make, whether it be an improved Cantwell or an emerging Martin or Mumba.

I would tend to stick to my previous conviction that our method of play would inevitably reflect his loss, but it need not be any less effective.

Edited by BroadstairsR

14 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'll stick my neck out here and say he ain't going anywhere in Jan and probably wouldn't leave should we get back to the Prem either. 

15 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Without Emi we will not finish top 2 and the play offs are a gamble. I would reject any offer, even stupid money like 40m and promise him he can leave in the summer for a reasonable fee whatever division we're in. Only thing I'd consider right now would include a loan back for the rest of the season. We cannot throw this chance away this year, we still have Aarons, Cantwell, Idah and Martin who could make us some money in the future if we run into problems and have to sell again, but right now it would be a travesty if we lose Emi at this point thtis season. 

The piece of the jigsaw you miss is that we don't know how Emi would react to being told he cannot take advantage of a dream move - I'm picking figures out of the air here, but it could easily be four times his current salary, plus it wouldn't be surprising if he was offered a sizeable signing on fee to compensate for the promotion bonus we would pay *if* we go up. On top of that, he would be playing at a club with a real chance of European football, and likely to be in real contention for playing for his country. No matter how likely our promotion looks, Leeds showed a couple of years ago that it is possible to choke and miss out. Even if we do go up, we could never pay what Arsenal can offer or offer the level of exposure that comes with playing for a club of their size.

We all know he is an emotional character, and if a genuine offer was made which we said no to, it's not hard to imagine that he would react badly, in effect meaning we only got 50% of the player he can be for the rest of the season.

If, and I think it is unlikely, we do sell, I will trust that factors like those above were part of the decision the club made. For others who don't need much an excuse to trot out the "lack of ambition" stuff again, they will see their own biases confirmed. But wherever we sit on the happy clapper/Delia out spectrum, let's try and look at the whole picture, not just cherry pick facts that support our particular point of view.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

So Farke's management skills are not all they're bigged up to be?

So Pukki's goalscoring feats are a myth?

So Aarons is not that much of a prospect?

Without Emi we would have been doomed to mid-Championship mediocrity after all?

The suggestion that all the great moments over the past two/three years have been the caused by just one player is a bit of a bubble-burster for me.

Whilst I accept your statistic there might be a degree of 2 + 2 = 5 in your conclusion.

11 games

9 points

We are talking about arguably the most gifted player we've ever seen in a Norwich shirt. It's why we're asking £40m.

Selling Emi would be like taking the battery out of a very expensive watch. 

There is no way the B of E would sanction borrowing for buying football players and rightly so.