TIL 1010

Covid & The FA Cup.

12 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

What about the television money?

You can "eh?" all you like, but the facts are indisputable. 

I'm also struck by your need to dwell on such a trivial point in what is discussion mostly about wider issues. 

not the ones you spout

there is no TV money paid based on whether we win

there is no guarantee we will be a 'TV game' either next round

hardly trivial when those misrepresentations are the basis of your post ie money is the predominant factor

(Rediffusion Television Broadcaster)

"there is no TV money paid based on whether we win"

Durr: That doesn't mean we won't be guaranteed that. 

"there is no guarantee we will be a 'TV game' either next round."

I wouldn't bet against it being televised. Most, if not all, of the next round will likely be covered by some provider or other. There will be other extras.

Money was the predominant factor in my post?

I think there was rather more to it than that, don't you? Mine was a rounded argument which included the importance of maintaining the financial flow for the good of football as a whole.

I expected my views to be contested with reasoned arguments by some on here. Nothing is black and white after all. I never expected to be confronted with such an exercise in muddled, simplified and agenda ridden piffle exhibited by that particularly sweeping statement. 

Clearly mention of the benefits of this income to football as a whole ie. the survival of some, and to society in general are of little concern to you when there is a chance to play the "money grabbing" card.

Edited by BroadstairsR

20 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

"there is no TV money paid based on whether we win"

Durr: That doesn't mean we won't be guaranteed that. 

"there is no guarantee we will be a 'TV game' either next round."

I wouldn't bet against it being televised. Most, if not all, of the next round will likely be covered by some provider or other. There will be other extras.

Money was the predominant factor in my post?

I think there was rather more to it than that, don't you? Mine was a rounded argument which included the importance of maintaining the financial flow for the good of football as a whole.

I expected my views to be contested with reasoned arguments by some on here. Nothing is black and white after all. I never expected to be confronted with such an exercise in muddled, simplified and agenda ridden piffle exhibited by that particularly sweeping statement. 

Clearly mention of the benefits of this income to football as a whole ie. the survival of some, and to society in general are of little concern to you when there is a chance to play the "money grabbing" card.

Bilious In nit picking dodgy moral high ground shocker!!! 

Who'd have imagined that?

Moi?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Moi?

I wonder was Horsefly's views are on this matter.

2 hours ago, canarycop said:

Please correct me if I am wrong but didn't football stop last time because one high profile figure in Miguel Arteta tested positive. Now many more are we carry on. As Steve Bruce said yesterday. Financially it makes sense but MORALLY ????

In March the risks were not well understood.  I trust the scientists, if they assess the risk to these people as being okay then I am glad it can carry on.  If the players could become seriously ill or have their careers effected I am sure it would stop straight away.

I am also under the impression that the lockdown is to reduce the spread, so the activities which have been stopped are those which allow the virus to spread.  Football allows people to be entertained whilst at home.  So 30000 of us are sat at home watching 22 people kick footballs.

Edited by Newtopia

2 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

In March the risks were not well understood.  I trust the scientists, if they assess the risk to these people as being okay then I am glad it can carry on.  If the players could become seriously ill or have their careers effected I am sure it would stop straight away.

I suppose that professional footballers (and those in other organised sport) are categorised as essential workers. This status can be disputed of course. There are arguments either way, but the fact remains that City are now half-way into this season without, until recently, being effected.

The unknown factor is, of course, the more virulent form that has now taken hold.

Whether this will derail the project is to be found out.

• Like 1

What planet to some football fans live on? The players are very highly paid to entertain the public and are relatively safely doing so.  How can we differentiate between the risk to a footballer and a bus driver? Why is the footballer perceived as more worthy of care?

When a poster says that we have to stop before someone dies, I despair.

• Like 1

The vast majority of people working through this have nowhere near the precautions in place that professional football have.

Plus professional footballers are at the peak of physical fitness, their personal risk is almost non existent.

Now we understand the risks and have controls I see no reason professional sport can’t and shouldn’t continue. As other people have said sport is bringing relief to people and that is important.

• Like 1

I just think this weekend would have been better spent dealing with fixture congestion and trying to get ahead in the league where possible. It’s gotten out of hand already and weather and outbreaks will cause further delays. The ultimate aim of this season should be just finishing the leagues. If we play out these cups and play pointless international friendlies and we don’t finish domestic league seasons then what’s the point?

19 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

What planet to some football fans live on? The players are very highly paid to entertain the public and are relatively safely doing so.  How can we differentiate between the risk to a footballer and a bus driver? Why is the footballer perceived as more worthy of care?

When a poster says that we have to stop before someone dies, I despair.

perhaps boxing, ski-ing, TT racing, Firmula 1 etc should all stop ...for good,

Of course there is a risk involved in playing football at the moment - but as others have said every possible measure has been to minimise that risk

Whereas for the average Joe that financial cost is simply not feasible, so there is need for restrictions for 'the rest of us'.

And a notable occurrence during WW2 was the need for entertainment, if only as a distraction from what was going on around them - and to engender a feeling of shared experience

To put it bluntly

'better some die, than no one lives'

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Moi?

feel free to nit pick' this

City should pick up hefty gate receipts from their home game thus evening in the FA cup against Colchester Utd - with the sum of £300, 00 thought to be what they will earn, and another hefty amount when the play at home in the next round

So the game must go ahead

ps see if you can spot the obvious flaw in the reasoning for the claim in bold, if so do let out wonkycanary know

20 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I just think this weekend would have been better spent dealing with fixture congestion and trying to get ahead in the league where possible. It’s gotten out of hand already and weather and outbreaks will cause further delays. The ultimate aim of this season should be just finishing the leagues. If we play out these cups and play pointless international friendlies and we don’t finish domestic league seasons then what’s the point?

Good point, hitherto unconsidered.

Though, I suppose there's still something in the "magic of the FA Cup" and it's often good for lesser clubs in many ways.

Just now, Bill said:

perhaps boxing, ski-ing, TT racing, Firmula 1 etc should all stop ...for good,

Of course there is a risk involved in playing football at the moment - but as others have said every possible measure has been to minimise that risk

Whereas for the average Joe that financial cost is simply not feasible, so there is need for restrictions for 'the rest of us'.

And a notable occurrence during WW2 was the need for entertainment, if only as a distraction from what was going on around them - and to engender a feeling of shared experience

To put it bluntly

'better some die, than no one lives'

I was genuinely going to mention Vera Lynn in Burma but felt that I had made my point! 😆

55 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Good point, hitherto unconsidered.

Though, I suppose there's still something in the "magic of the FA Cup" and it's often good for lesser clubs in many ways.

There’s a lot of vested interests in this game and they all want their cut. It really is all about money and it’s never been so transparent but if we have to eventually cancel leagues and cups because we simply run out of time to play fixtures (hard deadline coming of the euros) somebody will end up looking a right plum.