TIL 1010

Covid & The FA Cup.

The whole season will be over by the end of January. Football should, for this season, never have restarted. Greed is all that drives football. No one needs it, society can live without it. 

19 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Not just the FA cup, this farce needs to stop now for at least 2 weeks before somebody dies.

People have died 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

People have died 

I think WBB is probably referring to a footballer in fairness, N9

13 hours ago, City fan said:

The whole season will be over by the end of January. Football should, for this season, never have restarted. Greed is all that drives football. No one needs it, society can live without it

While the argument about whether football should be carrying on or not is valid I would take issue with the bit in bold, for some people in a very dark place mentally football can be a massive thing for them and how they feel. Only last night somebody contacted Rob Butler on Radio Norfolk to say that Norwich City playing is one of the few things keeping them going at the moment. 

• Like 3

Sport is a good thing to take our minds of the current situation, and if the players actually followed the rules the risk of infection is very low. F1 managed to travel the globe last year with minimal issues, so I'm sure national football can manage. The issue is, the players haven't been following the rules - but that's not the leagues fault, nor the teams who HAVE followed the rules. I'd prefer to see teams like Derby get thrown out of the cup as a result of causing an outbreak than lose the cup or sport entirely. Minority ruining it for the majority and all that jazz.

• Like 1

Gordon / AJ, hold on a minute.

Firstly, yes mental health of people matters at this time but balance this against a footballer dying.

Secondly, not all footballers are breaking the rules, this new strain of the virus is running amok in society as a whole, hence the increased numbers of cases, hospital admissions and unfortunately deaths.

In these unprecedented times we must look at the bigger picture. How would you all feel if one of our players died from covid?

Lets hope the government can finally get something right and get us all vaccinated in the timescales they are currently talking about.

• Like 1

FA Cup tie between Villa and LiVARpool now in doubt as a result of a Covid outbreak at Villa.

6 hours ago, pearsos said:

Gordon / AJ, hold on a minute.

Firstly, yes mental health of people matters at this time but balance this against a footballer dying.

Secondly, not all footballers are breaking the rules, this new strain of the virus is running amok in society as a whole, hence the increased numbers of cases, hospital admissions and unfortunately deaths.

In these unprecedented times we must look at the bigger picture. How would you all feel if one of our players died from covid?

Lets hope the government can finally get something right and get us all vaccinated in the timescales they are currently talking about.

I'm not siding against you here as clearly any death of a footballer will dramatically eclipse the continuation of sport. 

But broadening the question how many people in general have caught the virus from continued employment and died? Sure lots of those careers will be seen as 'essential' but teaching, non-essential factory workers and other roles of all kinds which have continued despite the pandemic are no more important than football really are they?

In addition the health of most players is likely to be much more robust than the average workforce, not to mention the testing and care they receive from their clubs which is no doubt significantly better than our health workers who are regularly exposed to the virus directly. You would also hope any players with underlying health conditions are being monitored extremely strictly. 

So really if any non-essential services were to continue through the lockdown, elite sport is probably the best placed. I would sooner question the continuation of other work much less equipped for monitoring staff or coping with outbreaks. 

• Like 1

The Euros must seriously be in doubt. Can't believe any footballer or staff associated with their national team would want to come to the UK.

We should be banning all flights into the UK in any event.

• Like 1

I had to blink and read this twice as i find this whole FA Cup scenario for this season turning into a complete and utter farce.

17:15

FA CUP FOURTH AND FIFTH ROUND DRAWS TO BE HELD ON MONDAY

The draws for both the fourth round and fifth round of the FA Cup will take place on January 11 to aid with fixture scheduling, the Football Association has announced. 

The third round of the competition is being held from January 8-11. 

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I had to blink and read this twice as i find this whole FA Cup scenario for this season turning into a complete and utter farce.

17:15

FA CUP FOURTH AND FIFTH ROUND DRAWS TO BE HELD ON MONDAY

The draws for both the fourth round and fifth round of the FA Cup will take place on January 11 to aid with fixture scheduling, the Football Association has announced. 

The third round of the competition is being held from January 8-11. 

I think the glamour tie will be (Match delayed due to covid) v (match delayed due to covid) 

Actually I am very much looking forward to this game.

First and foremost it will be a stress-free watch. With games coming thick and fast, with injuries increasing by the week, with the disappointment felt when one of our rivals wins a game against the odds and with that feeling that every point is vital and even a draw causing us to look over our shoulders, it will surely be nice to have a game with less pressure on the outcome.

Of course a win would be best but it is not essential and a loss has some plus points in a busy season.

Not only will it give us a chance, hopefully, to see a few youngsters in action against a decent side but it will also provide match sharpness for those in recovery.

Finally, it could solve the Hugill dilemna one way or another.

I hope he gets a hat-trick, btw, but I doubt it.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Hank, please read my post again after reading Gordon’s and AJ’s (just above mine). I was commenting on specific things they said.

I totally agree with your comments about careers and essential/non essential workers. Sadly some of these  people have died just doing their job which is very sad and in some cases unnecessary.

Just thought I needed to clarify.

6 minutes ago, shaunieboy77 said:

Yet Villa's game goes ahead?

Yes, but Villa will have no first team players or manager present.

Must be the first time I’ve seen the away team at 1/100 but I think some bookies are offering as much as 1/12 which seems generous

Ridiculous situation football should be stopped  now till March instead of putting players managers and staff families  at risk 

Edited by Yellowhammer
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

Ridiculous situation football should be stopped  now till March instead of putting players managers and staff families  at risk 

It will be a real shame if they do.  I am not sure about the real risks and how you quantify it, but lots of key and critical workers have had to work through the entire period without a choice because society needs them, (I work in the waste sector) a lot of the team are older and the risk to them is significant but they are needed.   For the footballers, with all the precautions and support they have I like to think the risk is managed. I really appreciate them continuing - I hope they don’t stop. 

• Like 2

Of course it's money. Tell us something new.

Professional football clubs are businesses first and foremost, no matter how many emotive factors are attached to their role for the individual and for society in general.

As long as precautions are tight, as they seem to have been for the most part, then spectator-free games with increased television coverage to compensate seems the best possible compromise in the current dire situation.

I consider that the continuation of the League programme and now the F.A Cup (and of course all other organised sports) to be a valuable, if not essential remedy for at least some of those much publicised problems caused to individuals by the travails of lockdown and the denial normal social reaction.

Man cannot live on Netflix alone. To emphasise the dangers to footballers and their families seems trite in view of the many, many other essential workers who are not subject to anywhere near the rigid rules that the game practises but have to carry on nevertheless. The police, the delivery man, the checkout girl, the bus driver, the teacher.

It is a matter of risk assessment and there is little proof that infections in the football world are caused by any actual contact within the game, except where the rules are broken.

As far as money grabbing goes it seems to me that as long as the television companies are  prospering then so will the clubs shown by them. Deny PL clubs this income and they will be less able/prepared to assist the lower league clubs who would otherwise be threatened by non-existence. You cannot run an Accrington, a Lincoln or a Peterborough etc. on fresh air alone.The Satan of money, as some see it, nevertheless becomes the saviour of the lower leagues.

Win today and NCFC pockets in excess of £100, 00, along with the guarantee of more in the next round. This mitigates against current losses, as has the IFollow income done previously. The fact that football fans bandy millions around with apparent ease nowadays does not mean that this amount can be disregarded by a business with the nitty-gritty of staff to pay and an infra-structure to maintain. Such a drop in the ocean keeps two, three or four in work. People who rely upon real money not monopoly money.

My original thoughts about the  F.A. Cup being played out this year were that it was a fanciful, costly and unnecessary intrusion.

However, I'm looking forward to this game, and will pay my way glad that my club profits, by at least a bit. I hope it succeeds, despite all, as there's enough doom and gloom to contend with these days as it is.

Ridiculing the Villa v Liverpool game last night is applying normal considerations to abnormal times.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Win today and NCFC pockets in excess of £100, 00, along with the guarantee of more in the next round.

eh ?

the prize money for winning in the 3rd round is £61,500, not

'in excess of £100, 00,'

whatever that might be..... and there is no guaranteed payment in the 4th round, except to the winners

What about the television money?

You can "eh?" all you like, but the facts are indisputable. 

I'm also struck by your need to dwell on such a trivial point in what is a discussion mostly about wider issues. 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please correct me if I am wrong but didn't football stop last time because one high profile figure in Miguel Arteta tested positive. Now many more are we carry on. As Steve Bruce said yesterday. Financially it makes sense but MORALLY ????