Bill

we should decline the invitation

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

If we go up this season, the expectation has to be to make a better fist of staying up. Let's not get ourselves into a situation where we have to stay up or risk financial ruin, but we should be able to strengthen the side to a point where even if we get relegated still, the players will either be important for another promotion push or are likely to retain value so that the loss isn't so significant and we can move them on.

That's gotta be key right? Let's strengthen the side with players that, if we go down, can be sold for a decent chunk to minimise our losses.

• Like 1

What an achievement if Farke delivers a 2nd title or promotion. He deserves the tools to make a fist of it but if it’s half arzed once again he shouldn’t hang around to tarnish his legacy here. 

• Like 1

When 🤞 we go up, we will undoubtedly ensure that contracts are written to protect us from what can be the financial disaster of a subsequent relegation. I understand the sentiments of the OP, in recent years I have pretty much always enjoyed our time in the Championship more than that in the Premier League and hate the lack of anything like a level playing field, but it’s all there is. A failure to accept promotion, if you can even do that, would condemn the Club to the lower tiers for the foreseeable future. 

35 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

That's gotta be key right? Let's strengthen the side with players that, if we go down, can be sold for a decent chunk to minimise our losses.

With Brexit we're going to need to be creative and look for a couple of players from Championship level or a couple of loans like Skipp this season from clubs up the food chain.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

With Brexit we're going to need to be creative and look for a couple of players from Championship level or a couple of loans like Skipp this season from clubs up the food chain.

Would be great if we could buy Skip, I suspect Spurs are really pleased with his development this season, pretty big price tag I imagine.

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

Or up our South American scouting. It's much easier to get a permit for a player in the Brazilian and Argentinian top flight than any European league outside the top eight or so.

3 hours ago, Yellowfuture said:

Would be great if we could buy Skip, I suspect Spurs are really pleased with his development this season, pretty big price tag I imagine.

Wouldn't it? Spurs regard him as a future captain. As postulated on other threads, he isn't for sale.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yellowfuture said:

When 🤞 we go up, we will undoubtedly ensure that contracts are written to protect us from what can be the financial disaster of a subsequent relegation. I understand the sentiments of the OP, in recent years I have pretty much always enjoyed our time in the Championship more than that in the Premier League and hate the lack of anything like a level playing field, but it’s all there is. A failure to accept promotion, if you can even do that, would condemn the Club to the lower tiers for the foreseeable future. 

We'll probably have to rewrite the contracts that we awarded last time we went up unless they already have a 2nd relegation clause in them. That's where most of the money will go.

There isn't really a level playing field in the Championship either. Except we like it better because we are playing at the right end.

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We'll probably have to rewrite the contracts that we awarded last time we went up unless they already have a 2nd relegation clause in them. That's where most of the money will go.

There isn't really a level playing field in the Championship either. Except we like it better because we are playing at the right end.

Yes what you say about the Championship is very true

12 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Wouldn't it? Spurs regard him as a future captain. As postulated on other threads, he isn't for sale.

I did read a report somewhere that Mourinho isn't actually a huge fan of his though. Interesting to see longer term...

11 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

My understanding is those clauses aren't usually just a one off- so they wouldn't need to be rewritten but I may be wrong.

I hope we don't make the error we made last season and reward a bunch of players with new deals before they've shown they can do it at Premier League level.

33 minutes ago, king canary said:

My understanding is those clauses aren't usually just a one off- so they wouldn't need to be rewritten but I may be wrong.

I hope we don't make the error we made last season and reward a bunch of players with new deals before they've shown they can do it at Premier League level.

I have no idea how that's really been an error. Certainly for the most part it's protected the value of our young players who are still massively sought after, and we've been able to keep hold of some of the more influential players at championship level for the push this season.

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I have no idea how that's really been an error. Certainly for the most part it's protected the value of our young players who are still massively sought after, and we've been able to keep hold of some of the more influential players at championship level for the push this season.

I personally think it made shifting players like Trybull more difficult and ate up a chunk of our budget.

I've got no problems with the new deals for Emi, Todd, Max etc etc. I just personally didn't see the need for players like Trybull and Steipermann to get new long term deals. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, king canary said:

I personally think it made shifting players like Trybull more difficult and ate up a chunk of our budget.

I've got no problems with the new deals for Emi, Todd, Max etc etc. I just personally didn't see the need for players like Trybull and Steipermann to get new long term deals. 

Agree with that, reward the young superstars but not everyone fits that description!

While we are not going up, perhaps we could loan our players to Ipswich so they get a taste of what promotion might be like.

What's Bull smoking these days?