cambridgeshire canary

Ralph Hasenhüttl falls to his knees in tears upon beating Liverpool

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

I think that's pathetic to be honest. 

Why? Men don’t have emotions or just weakness to show them? 

Fantastic it meant so much. Good for him.

27 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I think that's pathetic to be honest. 

Inclined to agree, in that's its 3 points for winning a game. Surely that's his job? 

Nothing against men having emotions, but time and a place in good measure. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Inclined to agree, in that's its 3 points for winning a game. Surely that's his job? 

What would you have found acceptable. A modest tremor of the upper lip perhaps? 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Yeah, I’d much rather have a coach who didn’t give a **** about whether we won, lost or drew.

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

What would you have found acceptable. A modest tremor of the upper lip perhaps? 

I think you’ve described Mrs Greavsy on a Saturday night once they’ve finished their cocoa and washed the mugs.

Said nothing about a manager / coach not giving a **** about us winning or losing, it's just how they show it. 

This was a league game, yes its 3 points, but you'd think it was a cup final with a celebration like that. 

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I think you’ve described Mrs Greavsy on a Saturday night once they’ve finished their cocoa and washed the mugs.

Rude! 

• Sad 1

I recall first seeing grown men crying on the terraces about twenty-five years ago when Middlesboro supporters reacted in the same way when their club got relegated from the Premiership.

I thought it a pathetic example of misplaced values then, and still do.  

I was brought to tears when I first saw newsreel of the Holocaust. I'll cry at the suffering of a family member,  I'll cry at the suffering of a pet, I'll cry at the funeral of a friend, but I'm ****ed if I'll cry at the result of a football match.

Hasenhuttle can be excused for succumbing to the emotion of the occasion in the same way that an Olympic Gold Medallist might cry on the podium. It's the result off years of endeavour.

I wouldn't want the sight of football managers in tears on the touchline to become commonplace though. It's a bit naff.

Edited by BroadstairsR

7 hours ago, Greavsy said:

You are assuming it was something he could simply switch on or off depending on the time and place. Not everyone is made the same as far as emotions are concerned. 

9 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Bit presumptious - none of us know what's going on in his personal life, stresses he's under etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Bit presumptious - none of us know what's going on in his personal life, stresses he's under etc.

That is true but my first thought was 'bit of an overreaction.' It isn't like Southampton are a League One team overcoming the mighty Liverpool. 

However it clearly meant an awful lot to him and who are we to judge.

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I recall first seeing grown men crying on the terraces about twenty-five years ago when Middlesboro supporters reacted in the same way when their club got relegated from the Premiership.

I thought it a pathetic example of misplaced values then, and still do.  

I was brought to tears when I first saw newsreel of the Holocaust. I'll cry at the suffering of a family member,  I'll cry at the suffering of a pet, I'll cry at the funeral of a friend, but I'm ****ed if I'll cry at the result of a football match.

Football means different things to different people- for those folks Middlesboro FC may be the one of the things that brings them the most joy in life. Attachment to your football club isn't pathetic in my opinion.

• Like 1

I initially thought that off camera and at the full time whistle, an irate Jurgen had covertly kicked Ralph in his gonads.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Attachment to your football club isn't pathetic in my opinion."

Didn't say it was.

"A pathetic example of misplaced values," was the term I used and I stick to that.

Many of us are attached to Norwich City. I know of none who cried when they were last relegated.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Probably a huge benchmark for him. He’s the same age as Klopp, and when Klopp was riding high and winning the bundesliga in 2011/12 he was managing a 3rd division side just promoted to the 2. Bundesliga. A big role model to any young manager and he’s just beaten him. 

It was a fairly brief moment of emotion he allowed himself it isn’t like he was sprinting onto the pitch like Mourinho

Got no problem with it at all, quite refreshing to see some passion.

And Liverpool right up there in the top 3 sides in the world.

Would it be seen as this odd if Southampton beat Real Madrid? Its a similar thing these days.

Fair play to the Man. Last season when they were beat 9 nil by Leicester, I thought they were gone. He is getting the best out of what he has got. That is coaching isn't it ?

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

"Attachment to your football club isn't pathetic in my opinion."

Didn't say it was.

"A pathetic example of misplaced values," was the term I used and I stick to that.

Many of us are attached to Norwich City. I know of none who cried when they were last relegated.

To be fair last season was nailed on from about December, you won't get many tears. 

But I know a few who shed a couple of tears post the 6-0 loss to Fulham or the penalty defeat in the play-off final. No shame in that in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

To be fair last season was nailed on from about December, you won't get many tears. 

But I know a few who shed a couple of tears post the 6-0 loss to Fulham or the penalty defeat in the play-off final. No shame in that in my opinion.

Thats the point though. They are end of season culminations, a final, etc. Not just a one off game. 

What is they always say after a game, we don't celebrate the highs, or get to down over the defeats, we put the game behind us and plan for the next.   

I think it was a natural and very human reaction ....that second half meant a lot to him and he couldn't just contain it when the final whistle went.

He showed (to me) his love of the team he manages, that he cares for the 'badge' and mostly, he couldn't give a damn, even with cameras pointing at him, what people thought about him. His emotion just took him over. 

No shame in men showing their emotions. Need to see more of it. Any other way of looking at it is bound to be the result of our social conditioning and we can all do something about that.

I realise I might be on my own here but it is more bloke-ish and being a 'real man' to show emotions in my book. 

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

I think it was a natural and very human reaction ....that second half meant a lot to him and he couldn't just contain it when the final whistle went.

He showed (to me) his love of the team he manages, that he cares for the 'badge' and mostly, he couldn't give a damn, even with cameras pointing at him, what people thought about him. His emotion just took him over. 

No shame in men showing their emotions. Need to see more of it. Any other way of looking at it is bound to be the result of our social conditioning and we can all do something about that.

I realise I might be on my own here but it is more bloke-ish and being a 'real man' to show emotions in my book. 

I have no issue with men (or anyone for that matter) showing emotions, but crying for a win in a one off game, really? It needs to be relative.