11 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Surely we need to sign some players and those players really need to be better than we have at present. 

Players who are better than what we have at present will cost a lot of money.

I'll say it again - and you and others like will you ignore it like you always do - We have lost at least £20 million in revenue from Covid 19.

We made a loss of £33 million two seasons ago and a profit of £2 million last season. That's a shortfall of £31 million over the last two seasons - for a self financing club like us that's massive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

That would be filed under 'fail to prepare' 

We knew the defence wasn't suitable for the prem.

We didn't know that. We never will, because we were never in a position to find out. We had 4 CBs with only one fit for most of the season.

That's extraordinarily bad luck. Can you name any other PL club who've thrived in that situation?

• Like 2

I despair reading this thread. Anyone who takes a realistic view is damned for being negative. The simple fact is that the way football is funded at the highest level makes it impossible for a club with a structure likes ours to survive in the Premier League. That's not a criticism of Norwich City, it's a criticism of how football is run. 

An ordinary Premier League player like Jamal Lewis now costs a minimum of £15m. We currently have 5 players who are Premier League standard which leaves us needing to be very clever or very lucky or go out and spend £90m we haven't got. There are an extraordinary number of people who think that the £100m we get from being promoted should be spent on players. But the reality is that money goes on Premier League wages and there is little or nothing left for new players. 

We did incredibly well to sign Pukki and Buendia for next to nothing but unfortunately the new EU regulations mean that we couldn't replicate that even if we knew where to find another couple like them. 

I despair, but that despair is aimed at football in general, not our club. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Players who are better than what we have at present will cost a lot of money.

I'll say it again - and you and others like will you ignore it like you always do - We have lost at least £20 million in revenue from Covid 19.

We made a loss of £33 million two seasons ago and a profit of £2 million last season. That's a shortfall of £31 million over the last two seasons - for a self financing club like us that's massive. 

To balance that up slightly Norwich recently sold 2 players for £40m. Take into account a conservative spend when promoted last and lots of Sky money then it’s not as bad you think. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

To balance that up slightly Norwich recently sold 2 players for £40m. Take into account a conservative spend when promoted last and lots of Sky money then it’s not as bad you think. 

Just keep paying IFollow those tenners as well, it all helps.

'Plans for prem'

Let's not get carried away. Promotion is far from given. Threads like this promote unnecessary expectations, and whiff of a bit of 'Leeds United.' 

Maybe just enjoy where we are currently and retain a bit of modesty? I've read so many ludicrous comments regarding January transfers, and how we need to sign Premier League players. Never going to happen, and rightly so. We're a Championship club still! 

Webber will have a shortlist for both outcomes, and will act in the summer accordingly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Just keep paying IFollow those tenners as well, it all helps.

Certainly, anyone that decides to watch illegal streams instead has absolutely no right to expect the club to spend money in transfer windows.

17 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Wouldn’t dream of doing anything else. 

I do actually always use IFollow now, when available even though I've found the best streaming service ever and which has been excellent for the recent cricket one-dayers and for the Ryder Cup.

Being a cheapskate, I also utilise it when watching the odd games our current rivals are engaged in. Must never feed their coffers after all.

There are the usual gymnastics at the beginning, the occasional lagging and t-its frequently pop-up so it's rather better to use IFollow's new and improved coverage irrespective of the fact that I am pleased to pay back our club something for all the enjoyment it gives me. More relaxing and very comforting to know that the revenue goes  to a better cause.

We never seem to get details of the audience though. We were used to having attendance figures published for every game and were usually keen to scrutinise these, but we get no information with regards the numbers watching NCFC via IFollow or, more importantly, the revenue it affords the club.

Edited by BroadstairsR

5 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I was talking about the prospect of spending a significant amount of money NOW - which was what some of the posters on this thread were advocating. If we get promoted again then I think we will have (for us) a reasonable amount to spend. Maybe something in the region of £30 million - or in other words a piffling amount of small change for the other Premier League clubs. 

On 05/01/2021 at 06:42, Midlands Yellow said:

We will lose £15m minimum because of Covid this season. 

On 04/01/2021 at 17:40, lake district canary said:

Ok. Let's get real. It is not a foregone conclusion we would be relegated again. The squad is arguably stronger than last season already and with one or two more coming in, it will get stronger again.  So basically the same squad (with one or two additions and one or two moving on) and an improved version of farkeball that will have to develop if we want to do well in the PL. 

A lot will have been learned from last time and even last season we saw that farkeball at it's best it can beat anyone, so with that experience and knowledge we will be in a better shape to do well next time.

Saying we can't do well is just guff defeatist nonsense. As for the op, yes planning has to start and knowing Webber he will be well on the case for that already. 

Its not,

Our keeper will be two years older - No succession plan.

Our 2 CB's are the same - proven to be incapable at Prem level.

Max - Still Class.

No LB - Any that come in won't be as good as Jamal.

Sam - Still made out of marshmellow.

Rupp + Kenny - Didn't do very well first time around

Emi - All Class

Onel - Struggled last year.

Stepi - Struggling this year, never mind next

Placheta - Raw for this division.

Todd - I'd argue his performances were much better at in the Champ and last season, possibly due to mental state.

Vrancic - Can be quality for 15-20 minutes and find the right pass in Prem - useful.

Dowell - Looked Ok, doesn't scream that hes a Prem player, certainly not in the way Todd/Emi did last time.

Pukki - Two years older 

Idah - Has he progrssed from a year ago? Barely kicked a football.

Hughill - Nothing against him but we're never going to play to his strengths.

Personnel wise we were vastly better last time

+ We had untapped potential in Max, Jamal, Ben, Todd, Emi and Teemu in some respects.

+ We we're much better last time around - We've been incredibly resiliant but nowhere near the standard of last time

+ The Premier League teams have improved

+ We will not invest.

Genuine concerns about this side going up.

Edited by CDMullins

7 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Its not,

Our keeper will be two years older - No succession plan.

Our 2 CB's are the same - proven to be incapable at Prem level.

Max - Still Class.

No LB - Any that come in won't be as good as Jamal.

Sam - Still made out of marshmellow.

Rupp + Kenny - Didn't do very well first time around

Emi - All Class

Onel - Struggled last year.

Stepi - Struggling this year, never mind next

Placheta - Raw for this division.

Todd - I'd argue his performances were much better at in the Champ and last season, possibly due to mental state.

Vrancic - Can be quality for 15-20 minutes and find the right pass in Prem - useful.

Pukki - Two years older 

Idah - Has he progrssed from a year ago? Barely kicked a football.

Hughill - Nothing against him but we're never going to play to his strengths.

Personnel wise we were vastly better last time

+ We had untapped potential in Max, Jamal, Ben, Todd, Emi and Teemu in some respects.

+ We we're much better last time around - We've been incredibly resiliant but nowhere near the standard of last time

+ The Premier League teams have improved

+ We will not invest.

Genuine concerns about this side going up.

Not only that most of the squad will have a relegation under the belt and will know they are not good enough. I reckon we'll need to change about a third of the squad bringing in fresh blood preferably better than what we have now.