Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Grant Holt

Loves the F word every sentence but the Norwich parts are interesting. He so loved playing for Chris. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Actually played 7 a side against him not so long ago, and other than still being comfortably better (and stronger) than anyone else on the pitch (including some younger guy from Wroxham) the other thing I immediately noted was the 'agricultural' language 😅

• Like 1

Played with and against Simon Whaley (blast from the past time) and yes, there's definitely a degree of "potty mouth" on the pitch. Once a pro, always a pro.

8 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Played with and against Simon Whaley (blast from the past time) and yes, there's definitely a degree of "potty mouth" on the pitch. Once a pro, always a pro.

Simon Whaley and pro shouldn't go together in the same post. One of the worst players I've ever seen in a Norwich shirt. Should have been done under the trade descriptions act

6 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Isn't that the norm, certainly always was in Sunday league.

I played all sorts of football at school/college/socially and it wasn't until I joined a Sunday League team that I I found the swearing to be widespread and over the top. The team I played for must have been one of the angriest out there - always swearing - mostly at each other - to the point it was hilarious with all the bickering going on. You couldn't swear at the ref in those days, you couldn't swear at opponents if you didn't want a fat lip, suppose there was no-one else to swear at but your own!  Was still fun though - we often even had an England goalie (Phil Parkes - well he had one cap) come to watch us because he knew someone in our team.  

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I played all sorts of football at school/college/socially and it wasn't until I joined a Sunday League team that I I found the swearing to be widespread and over the top. The team I played for must have been one of the angriest out there - always swearing - mostly at each other - to the point it was hilarious with all the bickering going on. You couldn't swear at the ref in those days, you couldn't swear at opponents if you didn't want a fat lip, suppose there was no-one else to swear at but your own!  Was still fun though - we often even had an England goalie (Phil Parkes - well he had one cap) come to watch us because he knew someone in our team.  

Looking back, Sunday league was pretty horrible all round... we were the worst team in Lincolnshire to begin with culminating with a 20-0 loss in the cup when we only had 9 players (most of which were not fit to last 90 mins due to a birthday the night before...) - i like to think it would have been 40 or 50 if I'd not had a decent game of shot stopping and got MoM.  As we were easy meat, there was never any trouble or abuse, but as soon as we started getting competitive and won a couple of promotions it was a different ball game with potentially leg breaking tackles coming in on a game by game, going unpunished... as usually the ref would end up being a spare player from one of the teams, or a 14 year old.  There was one game (not ours) where it was rumoured that one team stuck a bunch of knives in the sideline before kickoff, due to bad blood between local teams - De Wint and St Giles, so I wouldn't be surprised that there was truth in that... both teams were brutal to play against. 

We ended up packing it all in after 2 players had legs broken in the space if a few months and a normally mild mannered father who would come watch his son play was driven to running onto the pitch to hit a 'player' *knuckle dragging thug* with a thermos flask after he was basically committing GBH against his son.  The police got involved and we decided it was simply not worth it - not when you are a team who simply wants to play football and not too get away with beating people up after a skinfull the night before.

It would make such a difference when you had a good strong and fair ref, but those games were few and far between.  I remember we had the chief ref assessor for a few games and he was so good at keeping things calm and talking to players.

22 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Loves the F word every sentence but the Norwich parts are interesting. He so loved playing for Chris. 

Watched chunks and enjoyed - who are the other blokes ? (Chris Brown ?)

Haha, I could watch hours of that. I understand why he handed in the transfer request now as well, it made sense really and he seemed to have the measure of Hughton well before the rest of us so fair play to him. 

Also on the swearing, It's just the way northern lads are. I spent a few years in Wakefield growing up and even in school every other word was a profanity. I've carried that with me growing up and while it's totally normal to affectionately call people a see u next tuesday and mean no offense and punctuate every sentence with a swear word in certain parts of the country, I've definitely noticed it puts a lot of peoples noses out of joint around here in Norfolk. Unfortunately for me I've carried on the habit but I don't have the charming Northern accent to carry it so most people just think I'm rude lol. 

One of the other blokes is Jon Parkin, best known for playing upfront for Stoke and PNE, and other than Chris Brown, our old boy, I have no idea who the other bloke is. 

Some great stories from the Horse, and it’s great he’s still so active within the club. I think by the end of the interview, anybody watching that really won’t like Uwe Rosler - didn’t sound like a very nice chap at all! 

6 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

One of the other blokes is Jon Parkin, best known for playing upfront for Stoke and PNE, and other than Chris Brown, our old boy, I have no idea who the other bloke is. 

He is also called Chris Brown!

One the former Norwich striker, the other never a footballer. 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

One the former Norwich striker, the other never a footballer. 

Well that makes that confusing, Teemu! But that’ll be why none of us know who he is then!

Great to watch every minute of that. The banter between the 4 of them was hilarious and it's strange that whatever level of football you've ever played, you can relate to some of the stories being told by ex pros.

I played for the same Australian side that Holty did while he was here (Sorrento FC) but I had left the club the season before. My younger brother played along side him up front in a reserves match for Holtys first game. They won by a big margin and my brother scored 7 I think with Holty setting all of them up. Holty got a call up for the 1st team.

It's interesting what Holty says about Hughton and for me it makes me wonder if Hughtons footballing philosophy may have stifled anyone else's career at NCFC? The Wolf? 

Always get very one sided stories from these, e.g. Instantly want to hear Uwe Rosler's side of the story.

At the time Wigan fans were claiming that Grant Holt was a clown in the dressing room, including having a Dad's Army ring tone and getting his team mates to phone him during team talks.

In which case, taking him out of the group would be a reasonable course of action.

Its probably a cultural thing, if he'd join a Norwich City managed by Daniel Farke could it be that he wouldn't have lasted long? Like Ben Marshall? If Holt enjoyed playing for Owen Coyle who he admits had no discipline and acted like one of the lads, then I'd guess him and Farke probably wouldn't have got along too well?

39 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Always get very one sided stories from these, e.g. Instantly want to hear Uwe Rosler's side of the story.

At the time Wigan fans were claiming that Grant Holt was a clown in the dressing room, including having a Dad's Army ring tone and getting his team mates to phone him during team talks.

In which case, taking him out of the group would be a reasonable course of action.

Its probably a cultural thing, if he'd join a Norwich City managed by Daniel Farke could it be that he wouldn't have lasted long? Like Ben Marshall? If Holt enjoyed playing for Owen Coyle who he admits had no discipline and acted like one of the lads, then I'd guess him and Farke probably wouldn't have got along too well?

Interesting theory but I don’t think Paul Lambert was one to put up with much of that either ...

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Understand where you are coming from but i think sometimes you need a bit of a jack the lad in the squad as it brings a togetherness and team banter among a group of pros that can often take their job a little too serious. 

Suppose it's all a matter of opinions as Holty says in the podcast a few times.

7 minutes ago, lharman7 said:

Understand where you are coming from but i think sometimes you need a bit of a jack the lad in the squad as it brings a togetherness and team banter among a group of pros that can often take their job a little too serious. 

Suppose it's all a matter of opinions as Holty says in the podcast a few times.

If you buy an experienced player who was captain at a Premier League side and club top scorer for 4 years in a row, and presumably make him one of your highest earners, you probably aren't looking for him that play that role. 

I suspect tolerance levels are commensurate with performance. In other words.... perhaps they'll put up with a bit of sh*t if you are banging them in.  

He also refused to move to the area I believe... if you hand a player a 3 year deal you could probably expect them to find a local property? 

It always did smack of being one last payday for him if I'm honest.  

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

One the former Norwich striker, both never a footballer. 

Corrected

20 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If you buy an experienced player who was captain at a Premier League side and club top scorer for 4 years in a row, and presumably make him one of your highest earners, you probably aren't looking for him that play that role. 

I suspect tolerance levels are commensurate with performance. In other words.... perhaps they'll put up with a bit of sh*t if you are banging them in.  

He also refused to move to the area I believe... if you hand a player a 3 year deal you could probably expect them to find a local property? 

It always did smack of being one last payday for him if I'm honest.  

Perhaps Wigan should have done their due diligence and looked into Holtys character then. 

Then again, it was Owen Coyle that signed him before being sacked after 4 months.

I'd be more willing to bet a culmination of player role, injuries and change of manager (opinions) had more of an impact over Holtys time at Wigan than him being a big time Charlie after his last payday!