cambridgeshire canary

Seems we may be about to recall Soto

I remember Iwan Roberts first season with Norwich and thinking he had the touch and turning circle of an ocean liner. Just remind me how that ended up?

It's simply too early to completely writer off Hugill as a waste of money

• Like 1

Fair enough, but why does everybody always seem bring up the Iwan Roberts experience in order to excuse Hugill and never mention many of the other failures from Coney, through Sheron and on to Wolfswinkle?

Also, Roberts came to Norwich with a better pedigree (over 100 league goals) than Hugill, who seems to have only had a brief spell in the goals.

If Pukki were to be injured tomorrow Hugill wouldn't be much use as a stand in should we have to wait for that one year for him to come good.

Edited by BroadstairsR

The point is nobody knows what Hugill would be like if he started every game from now til the end of the season.....the evidence here so far this season is limited due to injury and Pukki being automatic first choice. Like every other player who has a quiet / slow start people want him sold, write him off as crap etc etc. 

Far more sensible to trust the manager, and wait and see. 

That is very true and could still go either way but having made the decision,  paid the money and signed him then he has to be given a fair go before writing him off

The fact is, that for an understudy/alternative he has actually been given quite a few opportunities to make at least some impression other than a decent penalty and a lot of enthusiastic running around. I also recall him making a good interception and little run to lay on a chance for Stiepermann (?) recently when he came on, to be fair.

It cheered me up a lot

But we don't play to his strengths they cry. His advanced heading skills are never exploited. The ball never goes near his head. Yet, we have hardly been denuded of crosses at times whilst he's been on the pitch.

The fact that a goalscorer who relies on his head a lot is not only useful with his bonce but also has an instinct as to where to be when that cross comes over. Andy Carroll would have likely been on the end of one or two by now given Hugill's game time.

Hanley has that instinct, but can't seem to head a ball over a goal line. Klose could.

Yes, I want Hugill to come off the same as everybody else, but he never does, and I'm getting sick of saying it.

Of course I bow to Farke's judgement, but I just wish that he'd judged any other player, apart from what I've seen of Jordan Hugill so far, to play a forward role in a promotion chasing Championship team.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Hugill will presumably get a chance on Saturday in a team likely to be featuring Quintilla, Placheta, Martin and possibly Hernandez and Mumba at some stage. I think we’ll be able to offer a much fairer judgement after that.

As well as struggling to get into the team, he has also had an injury which will no doubt have interrupted his development at the club. I am sure people remembered how Teemu dropped off at the end of last season after an injury lay off.

The jury is still very much out on  Hugill, but as others have said, far too early to be making a decision on whether he will make the grade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the new, temporary work permit rules coming into force this window, I think we'd be silly to not bring him back now and extend his deal if he qualifies. The rules may well change again in the summer when they decide on the new, permanent system and we have no idea if that will increase or decrease the chances of Soto getting a permit.

If we can get him a permit, then we should look to extend his contract and send him to Russ in Milton Keynes for a few months, then we can reassess him in the summer.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Andy Carroll would have likely been on the end of one or two by now given Hugill's game time.

Andy Carroll scored his first league goal for more than  2 years yesterday, it was an excellent volley.... with his foot of course.  😇.

20 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Andy Carroll scored his first league goal for more than  2 years yesterday, it was an excellent volley.... with his foot of course.  😇.

He's always injured though.

I didn't actually say scored. Getting 'on the end of' was enough for me. 

It was a random example.

Jeff Astle, Tony Hately, Chris Sutton, Peter Crouch then.

I still eagerly await the devastating prowess with his head that our own Jordan Hugill is reputed to possess.

He missed the chance to exhibit it with that penalty, imo. He should have aped Hately who reportedly knelt down and headed it in from the spot on one occasion. 😉.

Edited by BroadstairsR

3 hours ago, 2clubbanker said:

Send sato to Luton we need a striker and will look after him 

Wasn't Lieutenant Sato a rather sadistic Japanese camp commander in Tenko? Think they executed him or he committed hara-kiri. Either way it's a bit to late to take him to Luton.

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

It was a random example.

I still eagerly await the devastating prowess with his head that our own Jordan Hugill is reputed to possess.

He missed the chance to exhibit it with that penalty, imo. He should have aped Hately who reportedly knelt down and headed it in from the spot on one occasion. 😉.

Cant say I'm overly impressed with JH  so far but I refuse to gripe about him until he has actually messed up, lost us points, missed more than two sitters on the trot, or run off with one of his team mates wives. ......but I'm an easy going guy.....especially when ive just finished changing engine and gearbox on my dumper truck ,.....and it started first time and works lovely. I have downed tools for the day now but at no point did I come close to throwing my toys out of my pram,, Or make a tiktok vid about it. I feeeeel goood!!!

Edited by wcorkcanary

So we can assume that Soto isn’t going to be recalled,  be it contract or permit still wouldn’t be granted, probably a good thing as Telstar are doing OK and though he didn’t play last game he’s getting game time.

I wonder if he might get work permit if we go up this summer or if he’ll be going out on loan again, certainly one for the near future.

On 04/01/2021 at 13:01, BroadstairsR said:

It was a random example.

Not sure if it counts as 'devastating prowess' but a very nicely taken header against Coventry at least demonstrates that he can do it. 

7 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Not sure if it counts as 'devastating prowess' but a very nicely taken header against Coventry at least demonstrates that he can do it. 

Yes. Fair enough.

I've been one of his detractors (partial) but he made a useful contribution in that game and again against Cardiff.

He did what was said on the tin.

Whether this is sufficient in the long term is open for debate.

I'm still inclined to think that a fully fit, up and running Adam Idah will be able to make more impression than Hugill can before the season's end.

Good for him though. He's weathered the storm and earned some of his corn.

On 03/01/2021 at 23:15, Mullet said:

Yes I agree with that, Soto seems a capable replacement for Pukki, so when Pukki goes off you still have a goal threat on the pitch

Even more reason to get him back here, I could imagine that Soto would learn much from training with Pukki.