cambridgeshire canary

Seems we may be about to recall Soto

Provided you believe the following report that is.

https://sbisoccer.com/2021/01/report-norwich-city-considering-calling-soto-back-from-loan-early

If he is called back would be interesting to see the new standings for first/second/third choice striker and all, given Hugill and Idah

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I can’t wait to see him if and when he plays in yellow. 7 in 11 games and scoring at International level too. He could establish himself as the number 2 forward very quickly and definitely looks the business. 

The link to the Pink Un article within your link Cambridge states he could be recalled during this window and nothing more so i think you have jumped the gun by stating ' seems maybe we are about to '.

Edited by TIL 1010

I'd be really excited to see what he could do if he came back. Considering our loan policy and how well he's progressing at Telstar, I imagine if we do recall him it's because Farke see's him as someone who can come in and make an immediate impact. Very early days in his career obviously, but it does look like he really has all the attributes to be a top striker. With Idah having a long-term injury, Pukki blowing a bit hot and cold and Hugill not impressing too much yet (though I still maintain he needs a bit more of a chance), Soto being recalled wouldn't be the worst idea by any means.

• Like 1

He should stay and get game time, unless the prevailing opinion is that he's already outgrown second tier Dutch football and so will be shipped off elsewhere.

He's not going to get much game time here even if (and it's hugely unlikely) he's already ahead of both Hugill and Idah

Edited by kirku

From the articles on this a month or so ago said that we were considering a recall to then send out again on loan to a higher competitive league but need to ensure he gets the game time still to Continue his form and development 

• Like 4

Left-field, but if we're selling Morris to Barnsley after he's been on loan to an ex-Canary at MK Dons, maybe Soto will get a crack there to get used to English football for half-a-season?

Convoluted, I know...but just a thought.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

The link to the Pink Un article within your link Cambridge states he could be recalled during this window and nothing more so i think you have jumped the gun by stating ' seems maybe we are about to '.

Not like Cambridge to sex up a thread title.

All about them clicks baby.

However, I understood that his work permit was still an issue and the international appearance route still hasn't cleared that? Would be insane to recall an unavailable striker if that is the case.

Edited by Flying Dutchman

1 hour ago, kirku said:

He should stay and get game time, unless the prevailing opinion is that he's already outgrown second tier Dutch football and so will be shipped off elsewhere.

He's not going to get much game time here even if (and it's hugely unlikely) he's already ahead of both Hugill and Idah

I would get him in the mix straight away, he is scoring at full international level and the USA are a good side. It's a no brainer that he is already better than Hugill

35 minutes ago, Mullet said:

I would get him in the mix straight away, he is scoring at full international level and the USA are a good side. It's a no brainer that he is already better than Hugill

I've not been massively impressed by Hugill but he scored 13 (I think) goals last year and was signed by West Ham for £9m.

Soto has scored at a decent rate in the Dutch second tier and scored twice in a friendly against Panama. 

No brainer? No

Edited by kirku
  • Like 1

Would love to see this fella back in the UK and in Norfolk. Everything I've read about him and his outlook / attitude sounds good to me.

1 minute ago, kirku said:

I've not been massively impressed by Hugill but he scored 13 (I think) goals last year and was signed for £9m.

Soto had scored at a decent rate in the Dutch second tier and scored twice in a friendly against Panama. 

No brainer? No

I think Hugills reputation i.e. last seasons goal tally and price tag far exceeds him I'm afraid. I can only judge on what I've seen and I haven't seen anything from Hugill. Soto on the other hand looks lively. 

West Ham didn't persevere with Hugill because of what he achieved at Preston and the money they paid for him, they quickly realised their mistake and moved him on. I wish we'd do the same

I was under the impression Hugill stalled at West Ham because Pelligrini came in soon after he was signed by Moyes.

I still think Hugill is being judged from scraps of evidence since he’s been here, whereas Soto would benefit enormously from playing regularly somewhere over here (League One I suspect) for the rest of this season. I think we’ll have a better idea of what he can do from that.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mullet said:

I think Hugills reputation i.e. last seasons goal tally and price tag far exceeds him I'm afraid. I can only judge on what I've seen and I haven't seen anything from Hugill. Soto on the other hand looks lively. 

West Ham didn't persevere with Hugill because of what he achieved at Preston and the money they paid for him, they quickly realised their mistake and moved him on. I wish we'd do the same

Based on what?

He is, by all accounts, a very good prospect but lauding him as "looking lively" against a dire level of competition while ignoring Hugill's record at this level is bizarre.

6 minutes ago, kirku said:

Based on what?

He is, by all accounts, a very good prospect but lauding him as "looking lively" against a dire level of competition while ignoring Hugill's record at this level is bizarre.

The number of people on here slagging Hugill off beacause he has not scored a hatrick in each of his five minute cameo substitute apperences is honestly ridiculous

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

7 minutes ago, kirku said:

Based on what?

I can only judge based on what I've seen of both. I've watched a lot of Soto and he is far and away better than the level he is playing at. He has excelled at every level thus far he could by all accounts be a super star. 

I don't understand your optimism regarding Hugill , what has he done. Does he look full of running when he's on the pitch? Does he look likely to score when he's on the pitch. You are living by his relative success of the past not the present. 

FF284F22-C04B-45C3-8F4A-97BBED90FE28.jpegThe point here is that to get him back  , to loan him out he needs a GBE which looks far from easy and certainly not in the time frame. Whether he is a replacement for Hugil isn’t really the main issue . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The number of people on here slagging Hugill off beacause he has not scored a hatrick in each of his five minute cameo substitute apperences is honestly ridiculous

I'm not slagging him off I'm just saying get Soto in if possible so he can show what he's made of. Jordan Hugill has been given his chance and not shown anything. He should be challenging a starting place with Pukki but he's not in the same league. Hugill is only used to give Pukki a breather toward the end of games. Please ask yourself is Hugill ever Premier league standard if not what is he doing at NCFC. We are building for the future not running a charity 

Edited by Mullet

3 minutes ago, Mullet said:

I can only judge based on what I've seen of both. I've watched a lot of Soto and he is far and away better than the level he is playing at. He has excelled at every level thus far he could by all accounts be a super star. 

I don't understand your optimism regarding Hugill , what has he done. Does he look full of running when he's on the pitch? Does he look likely to score when he's on the pitch. You are living by his relative success of the past not the present. 

Hugill has hardly played for us, and, as I've already mentioned, he's not looked that great in the little we've seen but he's played something like 250 games in his career and scored 13 goals at this level just last season.

Soto probably doesn't even have 13 senior games under his belt. 

Soto is obviously a player of some potential, and I hope he's brilliant, but there is very little evidence to suggest he'd come back and displace a player of Hugill's experience and recent ability at this point in time.

• Like 2

To be fair to Hugill, he's hardly played, and when he has in cameo roles, we haven't played with any wide players. There's no point taking off, say pukki, and putting Hugill on becasue his style of play, and strengths are different to Pukki's

• Like 1

If Soto returns then what happens when we go up ?

Will he be ready for the PL ?

What I have seen so far is that the club has definite aims and are sticking to them (as with last season) rather than constantly chopping and changing.

While I would love to see him play this season, I would not want to see us have a policy if short terms aims

4 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

To be fair to Hugill, he's hardly played, and when he has in cameo roles, we haven't played with any wide players. There's no point taking off, say pukki, and putting Hugill on becasue his style of play, and strengths are different to Pukki's

Every week I wish JH would prove me wrong so I can come on here and apologise but it never happens. Whether he is a flash in the pan, a has been or doesn't fit or system, going back to the topic I pray we get Soto In then I believe we won't be talking about Jordan Hugill but Jordan Who

3 hours ago, kirku said:

Could bring him back and if successful in gaining a work permit it could free up Idah for the game time? 

18 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Could bring him back and if successful in gaining a work permit it could free up Idah for the game time? 

Get someone on loan as an alternative to Hugill and loan out both Idah and Soto?

Might be pie in the sky but they could both do with senior games at a half decent level

It seems Soto is more a Pukki-type striker than a Hugill-type striker. In effect at the moment we bring on Hugill when Pukki is knackered and/or to waste time and in the hope he (Hugill) will keep a few defenders occupied. Soto looks more like a replacement if and when we want to go on playing the way we play normally.

12 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It seems Soto is more a Pukki-type striker than a Hugill-type striker. In effect at the moment we bring on Hugill when Pukki is knackered and/or to waste time and in the hope he (Hugill) will keep a few defenders occupied. Soto looks more like a replacement if and when we want to go on playing the way we play normally.

Yes I agree with that, Soto seems a capable replacement for Pukki, so when Pukki goes off you still have a goal threat on the pitch

8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

In all honesty whenever I see Hugill coming on - I know he would not contribute anything and we are taking off a player (whoever the player) who could. Hugill needs to perfect certain skills before DF brings him on. Putting on a player that can't trap the ball or pass it to a team mate will easily get fans offside ! No-one is expecting goals just basic skills !

• Like 1

Agreed.

And he came on against Watford, whilst Cantwell was taken off and we were losing 1-0.

I didn't get that at all.

Let's hope Soto can come. We need as much armoury up front as we can get should Pukki get injured.

Edited by BroadstairsR