Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Lockdown Looks To Be On Its Way.

27 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We'll see....their deaths per 1 million since the start of covid-19 is fewer than half of ours.

Without wanting to make it a competition (which would be a bit morbid), its probably wise to consider overall cases and overall deaths at its conclusion... Sweden, for example, suddenly not looking like a good poster boy for the anti-lockdown crowd after initially impressive stats! 

Well Germany was the poster boy for testing. I'm just wondering what has gone wrong.

Sweden's graph shape looks more like ours - except it has dropped dramatically since mid December.

I just find it difficult to draw any firm conclusions about what works best. Also although all European countries showed the dramatic summer reduction, the overall world numbers were much flatter until November.

One thing that does seem to happen is that the virus goes through in a wave, like ripples in a pond. I've posted before how the rates went through peaks in the NW, then Midlands, then SE. I don't think there was corroborative correlation with restrictions.

I'm keeping an eye on our local infection rates. They've gone from 150 to 630 in the space of a couple of weeks before Christmas, but seem to have stabilised over the last week.  Actual deaths are difficult to work out. The local mayor said :

It’s very sad that so many people in our community have passed away with Covid-19 being a contributing factor in their death. The number of people who have died specifically of it is probably very small because they had underlying conditions.

Even if it's true that the virus ripples through individual communities it's difficult to assess how high that peak will go, & of course there is the cumulative effect on local hospitals.

Getting the balance right between restrictions/infections is virtually impossible. We could all stay indoors & starve to death - that would certainly stop infections - in the same way that we could stop all road accidents by banning vehicles. I really don't think there's a perfect solution.

image.thumb.png.ae3546f1e51b9c5110d96c77004c5248.png

A big shout out to the private sector that's keeping the public sector and economy alive throughout this 'pandemic' 👍

6 hours ago, Jools said:

A big shout out to the private sector that's keeping the public sector and economy alive throughout this 'pandemic' 👍

And there was me thinking it was HMRC who developed a computer system  to save the private sector that we should be thanking. As opposed to the private sector led by Dildo Harding and her 20 year old Excel spreadsheets

8 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Well Germany was the poster boy for testing. I'm just wondering what has gone wrong.

Sweden's graph shape looks more like ours - except it has dropped dramatically since mid December.

image.thumb.png.090e5bcefb055f2c1c07e0309be16f9a.png

image.thumb.png.9c30fc4e1baa35642802b6368f3ec64b.png

"Getting the balance right between restrictions/infections is virtually impossible... I really don't think there's a perfect solution."

I think it's fairly clear that a properly functioning track and trace system along with an enforced period of quarantine for new arrivals into the country has proved to be the right mix of measures.

In Taiwan, for example, people who need to isolate are paid a stipend to remain at home and are tracked via cell tower triangulation from their mobile phones. The stipend is generous enough for them to comfortably live on but the fine for breaking quarantine is very large. For new arrivals, I believe the fine for breaking quarantine is in the tens of thousands of dollars. People are contacted daily by phone call and text message to check on their health, if they don't respond to these messages then they are visited within an hour.

Contrast that with the system in the UK. A system that disincentives people to get tested because they will be put on SSP at about £100 a week, a contact tracing system that simply doesn't work, no effective system to properly police self-isolation, and a new arrival quarantine which basically amounted to nothing.

The difference is stark.

Edited by kirku

10 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Your posting history tells a tale of an angry individual moaning and groaning about either thread topics or the poster that started them. Whatever floats your boat i suppose.

Well done on missing my point entirely.

Im not wrong though am I?

People who come to football forums for their discussions on lockdown and politics are no better than those t!ts who get their news from facebook. Just a different version of the same thing.

Qatar 2022 starting in November may yet be significant

If this season cant be finished before Euro 2021...maybe it might need to be completed afterwards?

Ithe new season then starts in Oct/Nov 2021, theres no summer world cup in 2022 to try to squeeze fixtures in before

13 hours ago, South Sider said:

Jesus f***ing christ.

The people who come here for an escape from the sh!tshow that is our current society, maybe to get a dose of just 'football' are completely out of luck arent they?

Why? Why pretend this was EVER about football just to get your post seen????

Early contender for most stupid, ill informed post of the year. That's quite an achievement in the current climate. 

If you don't like the poster, block them. If you don't like the look of the thread title don't read it. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

19 minutes ago, South Sider said:

People who come to football forums for their discussions on lockdown and politics are no better than those t!ts who get their news from facebook. Just a different version of the same thing.

No it is you who missed the point of my original post which was to point out that indications show we are heading towards another national lockdown which would mean no football being played just like in March 2020 when the season came to an abrupt halt. How you have decided that is not football related is beyond me.

Your red mist of intolerance towards a discussion on the matter or anything on here come to that comes as no surprise to anybody who looks at previous posts from you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Early contender for most stupid, ill informed post of the year. That's quite an achievement in the current climate. 

If you don't like the poster, block them. If you don't like the look of the thread title don't read it. 

How difficult is it to not click on threads you aren't interested in rather than foaming at the mouth with nonsensical posts? Some people are really odd.

3 hours ago, South Sider said:

Why do you get so angry about it though?

Are you any relation to JerryKerry?

Scotland now in Lock Down.

BREAKINGSturgeon announces new 'stay at home' restrictions

The Scottish government has decided to introduce from tonight “a legal requirement to stay at home except for essential reasons” First Minister Nicola Sturgeon says.

18 hours ago, smooth said:

100% I have family members in teaching and totally concur.

Yes, I agree as well - my wife is a teacher and she is dreading the online lessons.

Apart from the fact that they massively increase her workload (as she has to prepare totally different lessons for online teaching), trying to engage with 20+ people online is much more exhausting online than it is in a class. 

Unlike KIO, she may take advantage of the Union letter, unless the govt gets its act together (she is secondary and doesn't have to return until next week). Nobody else is required to work all day without PPE and without social distancing, so I can't really see why teachers are asked to.

Surely it would be better to have the kids in school in properly distanced classrooms for half the time, with proper work set for them the other half, which can be prepared for and assessed during their time in school?

All it takes is a bit of planning from the govt!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I can confirm that it was a Bic pen cap, I had an itch... it was attached to the pen, then it wasn't, then attempting to pull it out by hand hurt a lot.

Fortunately just minor abrasion to a wall in the middle ear and no perforation to ear drum. 

I'm an adult with kids, and wasn't even drunk. 

Not my proudest moment, the doctor who removed it wasn't fazed so had obviously seen it all. Or had perfected remaining professional. Perhaps they'd had a hoover nozzle stuck on a dong the night before and my case seemed reasonable by comparison. 

At least I was only 6 when I went to A&E for the coin stuck up my nose. 

Preparing myself for months of people reminding me of this to score points in an argument. Doesn't even rank in my top 10 most embarrassing moments, but at least most of the rest occurred as a result of drink or party drugs and happened when I could use the young, dumb and full of c-u-m excuse. 

Almost every doctor has a story about having to remove something bizarre from a patients 'back door' so I think a pen lid in the ear won't phase them. 

18 hours ago, smooth said:

100% I have family members in teaching and totally concur.

If it helps Sturgeon has just announced that schools will be closed immediately, however education staff will now be prioritised for the vaccine. What Scotland do we normally follow, so hopefully they will get their jab soon, or maybe not.

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Address to the nation at 8.00pm.

The question is, will football carry on? 

Yes I think so. They were desperate to get it back to “boost moral” before.
But just in case it doesn’t can I be the first to call for the season the end and the leagues to be decided on PPG? “Sod rewarding failure” and all that we had thrown at us! 

Edited by JF

Awaiting another confusing announcement that will leave many people who are self employed in construction like myself wondering if we can go to work or not... Which is exactly what happened last time

Edited by JF
  • Confused 1

Covid deniers thrown out of Ipsh!te and Colchester Hospitals (BBC)

British public find any excuse to not do something. Doesn't matter who's in Government. If you want to make the stats look like Taiwan, China or New Zealand, its quite simple. Don't let anyone in (including 30,000 44 tonners every 24 hours). Be a police state and shoot anyone on the street during curfew. Be an Island 1500km from anyone else in the world let alone an island that you can paddle to in a rubber boat supplied by the French.

Edited by Foxy2600
spelling

One thing I would say about our squad is that we've shown what a great group we are during covid. No positive cases, no flouting lockdown posted all over the media, just a good bunch of lads getting on with the game and putting us top of the table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

One thing I would say about our squad is that we've shown what a great group we are during covid. No positive cases, no flouting lockdown posted all over the media, just a good bunch of lads getting on with the game and putting us top of the table.

Well we have had a positive case...Steipermann last season, but we have seemingly done this 'the right way'.

I'm dubious about the lack of cases though to be honest, there hasn't been any formal testing in the EFL and I would be shocked if there haven't been plenty of unreported cases across the league structure.  Apparently they are bringing in twice weekly testing now, which is needed, especially in the current state of affairs.

8 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

Well we have had a positive case...Steipermann last season, but we have seemingly done this 'the right way'.

I'm dubious about the lack of cases though to be honest, there hasn't been any formal testing in the EFL and I would be shocked if there haven't been plenty of unreported cases across the league structure.  Apparently they are bringing in twice weekly testing now, which is needed, especially in the current state of affairs.

It wasn’t a positive, he was then tested again and was false positive I believe. May be wrong though

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yup, full lockdown in England confirmed. Tougher than ever before they say..

It wont be ...millions will still get up and go to work tomorrow because the economy still has to be supported.

If it was as tough as march/april every worker ,other than absolutely essential workers i.e emergency services would be being furloughed and not allowed to leave their houses other for food/medicine