Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Lockdown Looks To Be On Its Way.

Boris saying on Andrew Marr this morning that tougher restrictions may well have to be taken.

Keir Starmer this afternoon calling for a national lockdown within 24 hours.

The Boxing Board of Control stopping all boxing in January.

Join the dots up chaps as it is starting to look like yesterday may well have been our last game for a while.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'WHAT?! That **** Keir thinks we should be in a lockdown? I'll show him- No lockdown for anyone!'-

Boris probably. Also shouldn't this thread be in the off topic section?

Maybe if you ignore my last sentence.

• Like 1

Over here went into 5km travel restrictions  for non essential journeys etc a few days back, no one allowed in your home or garden. Local beaches packed today, if I was a nosey cont I'd check their car reg for home address. Cops just dont have manpower to  do anything about  these cretins.

Lockdown as per November would presumably be more likely than the March-style one, and potentially see football continue - though in some areas schools aren’t reopening as planned, so who knows.  
One certain thing is that it will be confused and last minute, like telling London Primary schools on a bank-holiday Friday that they are to teach remotely from Monday when many have never done it before.

Edited by Branston Pickle

We are now paying the price for weak indecisive leadership from govt pre Christmas. Utter shambles. Worst case scenario it de-rails or delays vaccine rollout.

Schools, Covid's breeding ground will have to remain closed for a while.

From a football perspective I like to think that if the season is  temporarily halted it will help us. Some of our boys need to recharge their batteries.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Lockdown as per November would presumably be more likely than the March-style one, and potentially see football continue - though in some areas schools aren’t reopening as planned, so who knows.  
One certain thing is that it will be confused and last minute, like telling London Primary schools on a bank-holiday Friday that they are to teach remotely from Monday when many have never done it before.

' Lockdown ' in November put us here in Norwich in Tier 2 and on 22nd December moved to Tier 4 so we are hardly likely to be weakening restrictions Branston back to Tier 2. 

All very confusing i know.

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Lockdown as per November would presumably be more likely than the March-style one, and potentially see football continue.  Given Starmer has suggested it you feel that Boris will delay so as not to lose face....sadly that’s how things appear to be working, which is pretty pathetic.

Got to say, Branston, and just my feeling anyway, but I think we’re probably going to be in a lockdown closer to March than November. Can’t see pubs etc being open for at least 2 months or so. I can honestly say I’ve been as careful as I can possibly be, but I’ve been given a positive test result yesterday. The symptoms take you all over the place, one moment nothing, the next moment BAM! I’ve worn a mask at all times when out and about, but what do you do when people escape a tier 4 to the likes of this area (tier 2 over Christmas so nice enticing pubs for them), and these visitors just come and stand right next to you in a shopping aisle without as much as a mask. It’s a nightmare, and one thing I’ve learnt in 2020 was how many people have zero respect for others at all - it’s quite staggering. Of course, a mask is not there to ensure you won’t catch it, it just means if you cough that the particles won’t carry the distance that they would unguarded and therefore they at least help prevent transmission, even if it is to only a slightly lesser degree.

Hard lockdown coming I think, possibly even the hardest we’ve had to date. What this will mean for the football, I do not know.

• Like 3

Need to lock down as it is now a race vaccine v the virus.

All key workers should be vaccinated immediately, then finish all over 70’s. 
The 2 months will enable us to vaccinate in the 10’s of millions ( there will be plenty of doses by February ). I appreciate many will be against yet another lock down but in fairness the way it is spreading something has to give.

Us up North have pretty much been locked down ( summer aside ) for months.

Imposing a curfew between 8pm and 5am except for essential night shift workers would help the police dealing with the covidiots who think it’s a good idea to help spread infection. As they hold the situation in such contempt they should be last in the queue for vaccination. Mind you many of the probably think it’s a conspiracy by Bill Gates to inject nanobots to control them. 

17 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Imposing a curfew between 8pm and 5am except for essential night shift workers would help the police dealing with the covidiots who think it’s a good idea to help spread infection. As they hold the situation in such contempt they should be last in the queue for vaccination. Mind you many of the probably think it’s a conspiracy by Bill Gates to inject nanobots to control them. 

I work in a factory in the city. Gov. has said masks are not required on shop floor. Half of the 100 workers have kids at school. Do the maths!!

My son’s primary school has just emailed us at 6-30 on a Sunday night to say they won’t be opening, with an attachment for his education ,which is basically watch some BBC bite size and do some reading! 

Edited by JF

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Boris saying on Andrew Marr this morning that tougher restrictions may well have to be taken.

Keir Starmer this afternoon calling for a national lockdown within 24 hours.

The Boxing Board of Control stopping all boxing in January.

Join the dots up chaps as it is starting to look like yesterday may well have been our last game for a while.

Normally when Kier Starmer suggests something Boris calls him a traitor/idiot then does what he suggested about a week later 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Got to say, Branston, and just my feeling anyway, but I think we’re probably going to be in a lockdown closer to March than November. Can’t see pubs etc being open for at least 2 months or so. I can honestly say I’ve been as careful as I can possibly be, but I’ve been given a positive test result yesterday. The symptoms take you all over the place, one moment nothing, the next moment BAM! I’ve worn a mask at all times when out and about, but what do you do when people escape a tier 4 to the likes of this area (tier 2 over Christmas so nice enticing pubs for them), and these visitors just come and stand right next to you in a shopping aisle without as much as a mask. It’s a nightmare, and one thing I’ve learnt in 2020 was how many people have zero respect for others at all - it’s quite staggering. Of course, a mask is not there to ensure you won’t catch it, it just means if you cough that the particles won’t carry the distance that they would unguarded and therefore they at least help prevent transmission, even if it is to only a slightly lesser degree.

Hard lockdown coming I think, possibly even the hardest we’ve had to date. What this will mean for the football, I do not know.

Sorry to hear you caught the bug. I hope you make a speedy and healthy recovery.

As for people having zero respect for others......It's my walking meditation to not walk up to those people and ask them what their problem is.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JF said:

My son’s primary school has just emailed us at 6-30 on a Sunday night to say they won’t be opening, with an attachment for his education ,which is basically watch some BBC bite size and do some reading! 

I actually called the principal (headmaster) at my daughter's school and blasted him about how inept the virtual teaching was. Teachers are turning up for 10 minutes, talking through a slide of bullet points and then calling it a day. No real teaching at all.

I saw a meme the other day that said in twenty years the world is going to be run by people who were educated by day drinkers!

10 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

I actually called the principal (headmaster) at my daughter's school and blasted him about how inept the virtual teaching was. Teachers are turning up for 10 minutes, talking through a slide of bullet points and then calling it a day. No real teaching at all.

I saw a meme the other day that said in twenty years the world is going to be run by people who were educated by day drinkers!

The first lockdown was a joke. The only correspondence we had was some sheets we could print off for him to do. Makes an absolute mockery of the fines that parents received for taking their children out of school.

Edited by JF

If any of you are interested, here’s the latest data, it’s scary stuff. This sees the beginning of the Christmas effect but another 3 or 4 days before we really know.

Horrendous mismanagement by the government but also an absolutely staggering level of wilful ignorance and selfishness from so many. 

The impact of decisive, strict, informed government, and an understanding populace is stark in those places that have so far dealt with it successfully.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It’s scary if you believe every positive COVID test is actually a positive test, if you believe every case is an actual case and every death is a death from COVID. 

I follow all the rules carefully as I believe the virus exists but I am highly sceptical about the numbers we are fed and I trust very little that the government or mainstream media tells us. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

That would stop me doing my 11pm weekly trip to Tesco! Normally more staff than punters and the few people that are shopping all seem to be sensible about it. 

4 minutes ago, kirku said:

Horrendous mismanagement by the government but also an absolutely staggering level of wilful ignorance and selfishness from so many. 

The impact of decisive, strict, informed government, and an understanding populace is stark in those places that have so far dealt with it successfully.

Yeah, I’m not about to defend the government but the fawning in the second paragraph there is pretty sick tbh. I’d still rather be A man of Norfolk than live in a country that has concentration camps or any more control over the way in which I live my life than it currently has

1 hour ago, NFN FC said:

I thought lockdown was to be rebranded as "tier 38"

No tier 38 is where you're not allowed inside your own house. You must remain in the garden. Breathing is permitted, but only through a straw.,

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Yeah, I’m not about to defend the government but the fawning in the second paragraph there is pretty sick tbh. I’d still rather be A man of Norfolk than live in a country that has concentration camps or any more control over the way in which I live my life than it currently has

Concentration camps? Grow up. Only China fits that bill.

Australia, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, South Korea, New Zealand. All have dealt with it very efficiently and successfully. 

The UK hasn't. 

Edited by kirku
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, JF said:

As a teacher, I can honestly say that you should be pointing your anger towards Gavin Williamson and the Department for Education. Teachers are currently unable to plan anything in advance because those inept **** keep changing the guidance every 5 minutes. There have been 5 versions of "guidance" since Thursday. How the **** can any of us organise anything when they don't tell us what we're meant to be organising?

If the work sent home continues to be **** then by all means make complaints and contact your MP - schools have a duty in law now to provide 4 hours at least of education per day and your child is entitled to receive that, but cut them some slack until Tuesday, give us chance to put things in place.

I will also point out that remote education is not just a pain in the **** for parents. Teachers hate it. All of us. Without exception. Nobody chose to become a teacher to sit in front of a screen all day. I won't be invoking Section 44 which is what the unions are telling us to do, because I don't feel like it's the right thing to do at this point.... but I entirely sympathise with colleagues who has. 

Teachers want schools open, but we want them open safely. Schools are not safe. For the staff and for the kids.

The government have consistently failed to provide support for online learning. The "laptop delivery" they promised ended up delivering pretty much **** all. I know schools who ordered 188 laptops to allow all their kids to access online learning. Guess how many they received? One. One solitary laptop.

The sensible solution would have been blended learning and rota system for face to face from September. That would allow smaller class sizes for proper distancing, regular face to face teaching for all. That requires government support to provide laptops and broadband for those that can't access it. The government have consistently failed to support any sensible solutions. Other countries have managed it perfectly fine.

My school are working on the basis of lessons set every day online, according to timetables, and every lesson should have a video attached to it, either of the full lesson, key points or instructions (at teacher discretion as per appropriate for lesson). 

Gavin Williamson is literally the worst education secretary in history. Gove was bad, but at least competent. His ideas were ****e but at least he had the nous to implement them. Williamson is incompetent to the highest degree, has no ideas and no idea how to implement them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2