Sign in to follow this  
Herman

Art and Culture Thread.

How I've missed nipping up to the smoke to wander around the galleries, museums and see exhibitions. Hopefully this simple act can come back to life soon.

This interesting thread reminded me of the things I have missed. I hope others enjoy it as much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

How I've missed nipping up to the smoke to wander around the galleries, museums and see exhibitions. Hopefully this simple act can come back to life soon.

This interesting thread reminded me of the things I have missed. I hope others enjoy it as much.

One of the big losses for me is not being able to travel and look at galleries in different places (had planned a whole load to visit in January 2020 ☹️).

Sargent reminds me of Walter Sickert a bit. I've selected a couple here because of the colours used.

IMG_20210103_142537.jpg

IMG_20210103_142954.jpg

• Like 1

Quite a few years ago I went to see the Sickert exhibition at the Courtauld. There is a loose link between him and The Ripper, one that conspiracy theorists seem to enjoy, and his Camden paintings are one of the things they use for "evidence".

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/features/closer-look-walter-sickert-s-taste-flesh-744385.html

And if an exhibition of Sargent's comes along again it's well worth a visit. Brilliant but underrated I find.

There is as well, in Camden Market. I remember there was a couple of weird ones in Amsterdam. I wasn't in a fit frame of mind to venture in luckily.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

No!

I did read there was a vagina museum somewhere in London!

Somewhere near Billingsgate? 

• Haha 1

I'm not an art fan in the slightest. I like theatre but any other performance arts and static art bores me senseless. Prefer sculptures to paintings but it's a really low bar as I have little interest in either.

Went to Rome just over a year ago and whilst I enjoyed the city, the art side of it didn't inspire any hidden depths within me. Sistine chapel was awfully dull and ambience ruined by "SILENCIO" every 5 seconds over the loudspeaker. Vatican museums were boring and none of the works by "the masters" they had on display did anything for me at all. Was tipped off about a little-known 6 foot Michaelangelo statue in a church behind the Pantheon which again, was fine but didn't inspire me.

The reason I'm posting on here at all, is because I did see one piece of art there that I thought was stunning. A Caravaggio in the Crypt of the Capuchin Monks. If you find yourself in Rome, it's well worth seeing (Just off Piazza Barberini, near the Trevi fountain).

1606 Caravaggio Saint Francis In Prayer Catholic Painting Poster  Reproduction | eBay | Michelangelo caravaggio, Caravaggio, Baroque art

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

No!

Think you'll find this one can't be beaten for weirdness. All kinds of dark and twisted stuff including Fred West's tie. Not been myself but was featured on an episode of "The Dark Tourist" on Netflix.

https://www.littledeanjail.com/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Think you'll find this one can't be beaten for weirdness. All kinds of dark and twisted stuff including Fred West's tie. Not been myself but was featured on an episode of "The Dark Tourist" on Netflix.

https://www.littledeanjail.com/

The N*Z*  SS and holocaust years!!!  I will go to see Auschwitz one day, my Mrs wouldn’t go so need to get away on my own for that one. I will always remember going to the underground military hospital in the Channel Islands, there was a manikin in an SS uniform, sent shivers down the spine just looking at it.

Edited by Van wink

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Quite a few years ago I went to see the Sickert exhibition at the Courtauld. There is a loose link between him and The Ripper, one that conspiracy theorists seem to enjoy, and his Camden paintings are one of the things they use for "evidence".

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/features/closer-look-walter-sickert-s-taste-flesh-744385.html

And if an exhibition of Sargent's comes along again it's well worth a visit. Brilliant but underrated I find.

I remember reading that.

I'm a fan of his work (like the singers on the stage). 

We have lots of Hockney works on show up here of course. Maybe he isn't everyone's cup of tea but a lot of his paintings are huge including his digital iPad stuff...and seen so big they make quite an impression. His earlier stuff too is really different.

I could post hundreds of artists and paintings because it's my principal interest in life! (with a polite note to @kick it off ...I know a lot of people really dislike anything to do with art and it's kind of understandable)

KIO can't go wrong with Caravaggio. He is miles ahead of most artists whether it's his painting style or storytelling. The best ever imo. Very interesting life story too. Bit of a hot head to say the least.😉

Hockney I haven't seen enough of his stuff in real life to see if I would appreciate it more. Currently I'm a bit meh, but that is based entirely on photos.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I could post hundreds of artists and paintings because it's my principal interest in life! (with a polite note to @kick it off ...I know a lot of people really dislike anything to do with art and it's kind of understandable)

We've all got our crosses to bear mate - there's plenty of stuff I'm interested in which hasn't got much traction with many people - NFL for one! We all enjoy what we enjoy - the one thing I will say about art is the rare occassions I do find it interesting/inspiring, I get really interested. For example, I LOVE the architecture of Gaudi - I guess I have a predilection to non-conformity (Dali's paintings I find more interesting than most for example).

Speaking of which, the only other artwork that has really spoken to me aside from the Caravaggio, was an exhibition I saw in Geneva - Spent a week there visiting and meeting with different UN bodies as part of my degree and whilst there they had an exhibition by Joseph Holston - the entire "Colour in Freedom" collection. 50 works that tell the story of slavery from capture in Africa to emancipation. Really fascinating stuff.

Whole collection available to view online here: https://sites.umgc.edu/colorinfreedom/gallery.shtml# (Note - the collection comes in four "movements" - the first movement is on the page, but to see the next three you have to look bottom right of the screen (next to the plus symbol, and click on each movement)

• Like 1

Gaudi is amazing! And are they not STILL finishing La Sagrada Familia?

In my experience the marmite concept is most applicable to art. It's amazing what people like and hate. So personal.

I remember an exhibition in the south of France years and years ago (Edward Hopper). I was so unimpressed stood in front of the paintings so decided to leave. As I turned back to look from 10 yards away the full effect of his work stunned me. It was literally one of those 'moments' in life. I love his work now and of course he has become much more well known.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

No!

The c***s wouldn't let me in.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kick it off said:

I'm not an art fan in the slightest. I like theatre but any other performance arts and static art bores me senseless. Prefer sculptures to paintings but it's a really low bar as I have little interest in either.

Went to Rome just over a year ago and whilst I enjoyed the city, the art side of it didn't inspire any hidden depths within me. Sistine chapel was awfully dull and ambience ruined by "SILENCIO" every 5 seconds over the loudspeaker. Vatican museums were boring and none of the works by "the masters" they had on display did anything for me at all. Was tipped off about a little-known 6 foot Michaelangelo statue in a church behind the Pantheon which again, was fine but didn't inspire me.

The reason I'm posting on here at all, is because I did see one piece of art there that I thought was stunning. A Caravaggio in the Crypt of the Capuchin Monks. If you find yourself in Rome, it's well worth seeing (Just off Piazza Barberini, near the Trevi fountain).

The Capuchin Monks do a nice cup of coffee.

5 hours ago, sonyc said:

One of the big losses for me is not being able to travel and look at galleries in different places (had planned a whole load to visit in January 2020 ☹️).

Sargent reminds me of Walter Sickert a bit. I've selected a couple here because of the colours used.

IMG_20210103_142954.jpg

He looks remarkably like Enoch Powell.

4 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

No!

There's the Icelandic Phallological Museum in Reykjavik. And I'm not aware of any puns they intended with the term "honorary members"...

The Icelandic Phallological Museum (phallus.is)

And my favourite was the exhibit at the Polarmuseet in Tromso, Norway. It literally had the penis bone of a walrus.

Facebook

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

Gaudi is amazing! And are they not STILL finishing La Sagrada Familia?

In my experience the marmite concept is most applicable to art. It's amazing what people like and hate. So personal.

I remember an exhibition in the south of France years and years ago (Edward Hopper). I was so unimpressed stood in front of the paintings so decided to leave. As I turned back to look from 10 yards away the full effect of his work stunned me. It was literally one of those 'moments' in life. I love his work now and of course he has become much more well known.

Eh, they've barely started Sagrada Familia (which I have to say didn't move me at all, but as you most rightly said, it's personal) as it took over 600 years to build Cologne Cathedral - with a gap of nearly 300 years in the middle.

I do like the Frauenkirche in Dresden. Nearly triggered World War Three in that building back in 2002 when they were still restoring it. But that's a story for another time.

7 hours ago, Van wink said:

The N*Z*  SS and holocaust years!!!  I will go to see Auschwitz one day, my Mrs wouldn’t go so need to get away on my own for that one. I will always remember going to the underground military hospital in the Channel Islands, there was a manikin in an SS uniform, sent shivers down the spine just looking at it.

When I went to Munich for the match I went round Dachau, which was a concentration rather than an extermination camp, but still really quite bad enough. And in plain view, on the outskirts of Munich, which was the point. It was intended as a very public example/warning of how the new regime, as it was then, would keep people in line.

7 hours ago, kick it off said:

1606 Caravaggio Saint Francis In Prayer Catholic Painting Poster  Reproduction | eBay | Michelangelo caravaggio, Caravaggio, Baroque art

Gardens are a kind of sculpture. This is not the season, of course, but into the spring some may well be open when museums and galleries are not. And East Anglia has several worth visiting; such as Blicking and  Somerleyton.

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Gardens are a kind of sculpture. This is not the season, of course, but into the spring some may well be open when museums and galleries are not. And East Anglia has several worth visiting; such as Blicking and  Somerleyton.

I love Branitz Park in Cottbus, Germany, and Parc Guell in Barcelona. Branitz edges it though - created by one of the great eccentrics of German/Prussian history in this chap: 

Hermann, Fürst von Pückler-Muskau - Wikipedia

The thing to remember about Branitz is this: it was meant to be an English-style park on land that was originally as flat and dull a heath as it could be. All the bodies of water you see there were dug out by hand, and the two pyramids that were built were made from the excavations (as were all the gentle hills).

The particularly whimsical matter about Branitz is that the Seepyramide (lake pyramid) has Hermann's ashes in an urn there in the middle, and is therefore his mausoleum.

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I love Branitz Park in Cottbus, Germany, and Parc Guell in Barcelona. Branitz edges it though - created by one of the great eccentrics of German/Prussian history in this chap: 

Hermann, Fürst von Pückler-Muskau - Wikipedia

The thing to remember about Branitz is this: it was meant to be an English-style park on land that was originally as flat and dull a heath as it could be. All the bodies of water you see there were dug out by hand, and the two pyramids that were built were made from the excavations (as were all the gentle hills).

The particularly whimsical matter about Branitz is that the Seepyramide (lake pyramid) has Hermann's ashes in an urn there in the middle, and is therefore his mausoleum.

I knew nothing of that. Thanks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I knew nothing of that. Thanks.

Used to live round there, and another wonderful advantage of Branitz is that the Spreewald, a protected landscape, is literally twenty miles away in Lübbenau. That may be my happy place - indeed I went there and Berlin to celebrate the 40th last year.

Edited by TheGunnShow

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Check out the Old Vicarage, East Ruston. In the summertime that's a pretty fab garden.

• Like 1

There is a little garden tucked away near Oxburgh Hall. Well worth a visit when we are allowed. 

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1

Found another artist whose work I enjoy - maybe I'm not a total heathen.

Spoken to him tonight about potentially coming into my school and doing a project there.

All his work is made of Cardboard and other recyclable materials!

https://www.darrellwakelam.com/gallery

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1