Jersey Canary

Cantwell win ratio?

I’d like to know what our win ratio is with and without Cantwell starting in the Championship and I bet it’s not that impressive.

Cantwell needs to play in Stiepermanns position longer term but he’s not effective on the left. 

Cantwell was stunning on occasions yesterday.

His shooting was the opposite on the day.

He is our hardest working player, imo. He was everywhere and involved throughout. It was he who put Pukki through for the super save their 'keeper had to make. 

The last player we need to scapegoat.

I guessed the critics were baying when, during the interval yesterday, one comment/type in from, I believe a lady supporter, asked the question, "Why is Cantwell on the pitch?"

Risible, they always need one.

• Like 12

37 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

He is our hardest working player, imo. He was everywhere and involved throughout. It was he who put Pukki through for the super save their 'keeper had to make. 

I guessed the critics were baying when, during the interval yesterday, one comment/type in from, I believe a lady supporter, asked the question, "Why is Cantwell on the pitch?"

But but but he wears gloves! And has long hair! 

😉

It's his business and quite an irrelevance. It will be a total irrelevance if he starts banging in the goals for City or joins a club with less parochial supporters.

Callum Brittain saved the goal-bound effort from Pukki on the line?

Todd is the most naturally gifted player to come through the academy in my time as a supporter.

• Like 2

He just needs to work on kicking the ball into the goal. His development has been fantastic and he will only get better. 

I mean his finishing was poor but his overall gameplay was excellent. 

He makes the runs, movements and decisions that give him those opportunities in the first place.

And its good to remember that he was not playing for a while. When he gets goal or two to grow his confidence, he'll start hitting regularly. 

Sure, he is still developing and sometimes slows down the game bit too much, but he is working hard and has tons of quality. When compared to Emi, he is of course not there yet (not many are) but he is also two years younger. Which is a lot in such early phase of his career.

He is good and will become even better.

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

But but but he has long hair and dances on tiktok

I was gutted for Todd at his misses. If he'd have tapped in that low cross and then finished either of his one on one chance or the one Pukki put on for him, he'd be receiving similar plaudits to what Buendia is receiving today. He tracked back well, won possession several times, went on a handful of successful runs, beating several players in the process. The only thing missing from his performance was a goal or two.

The annoying thing is, had he not been as on it yesterday as he was, he'd never have been in a position to miss those relatively straightforward chances.

If he was playing bad and not getting any chances, maybe I'd be grumbling but as it is, he's playing well and getting chances. Yesterday he just couldn't finish them and anyone who has ever played the game knows that if you miss an easy chance, the next one you get is that bit harder. If you miss two, then the third gets even more difficult.

That was the case for Todd yesterday, he just had a mare in front of goal but every other part of his game was brilliant. Given his lack of game time so far this season, he is one of the few players I would keep in the lineup for the FA Cup game. Without Emi's awesomeness having a potentially overshadowing impact, I think Todd will step up and be our go-to attacking outlet and probably get a goal. Hopefully that will kick him on to get more clinical in the league.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 4

Perhaps lack of game time is a valid reason for his the lack of finished product this season, but for the sake of balance I actually feel he was better last season playing at a higher level. It almost seems he's trying a bit too hard, if that makes sense.

22 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Perhaps lack of game time is a valid reason for his the lack of finished product this season, but for the sake of balance I actually feel he was better last season playing at a higher level. It almost seems he's trying a bit too hard, if that makes sense.

It does. Todd was at times phenomenal yesterday, but seemed to lose composure at the crucial moment. The coaches will have noted this and he will be getting some 'in the zone ' training this week. 

Cantwell's win ratio isn't classified information and if you bother to look it up,it's very impressive.

If you can remember back as far back as last Tuesday he won our penalty cutting in from the left. He also had a perfectly good goal disallowed.

He misjudged some chances yesterday, as did our main striker and no. 10, the same as happens every match, two real sitters have been missed by the opposition in the last two matches.

But Todd keeps going and had a good run and shot saved at the end. The difference he makes to the team is when we are ahead, he keeps attacking. 

Trouble is some people forget all his good work and highlight every mistake.

The double dragback pivot thing he did to get out of trouble and start an attack was incredibly skillful. If that had been done by Buendia everyone would be going crazy. He has the ability to be one of our best ever; just needs more belief.

• Like 3

I tend to agree, central for Cantwell with Placheta and Buendia is a great combo, but Dowell back to full match fitness and we have some goo options.

11 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

I’d like to know what our win ratio is with and without Cantwell starting in the Championship and I bet it’s not that impressive.

Cantwell needs to play in Stiepermanns position longer term but he’s not effective on the left. 

Why single out Todd? Our win ratio is only decent when Buendia is on the pitch!

36 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

The double dragback pivot thing he did to get out of trouble and start an attack was incredibly skillful. If that had been done by Buendia everyone would be going crazy. He has the ability to be one of our best ever; just needs more belief.

He gets out of sticky situations very well, he is chastised because of his goal scoring record. He is a good player and it’s beyond me why he gets so much criticism!

There were times against a very good Barnsley side when this man was virtually unplayable underlying his potential at a higher level. That said part of his learning curve and he is still a very young man is to improve some of his decision making and goal scoring threat, i am sure this will come with more game time, confidence and experience. If by any chance we do go up, the likes of him and Buendea are crucial to any hope whatsoever of making it another 1 season stay

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

It was Robson-Kanu esque vs Belgium in the Euros the other year! Too good 

5 hours ago, Petriix said:

He just needs to work on kicking the ball into the goal. His development has been fantastic and he will only get better. 

I’m not saying he’s not going to be an excellent player but he reminds me to a certain degree (not in style of play but the affect on the team) of Snoddy. Great player but constantly slowed the team by too much dribbling and ponderous play.  If he. An be more one touch and a bit more clinical then we could have one hell of a player on our hands but at present I feel he gives the ball away far too much and puts his foot on the ball too much and his finishing is poor.

6 hours ago, kirku said:

Todd is the most naturally gifted player to come through the academy in my time as a supporter.

He is very good, the only one I would say I have seen who was (in my opinion) better was Ruel Fox, I guess it is a matter of opinion and how long we have been watching.  Todd is technically very good.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

I’m not saying he’s not going to be an excellent player but he reminds me to a certain degree (not in style of play but the affect on the team) of Snoddy. Great player but constantly slowed the team by too much dribbling and ponderous play.  If he. An be more one touch and a bit more clinical then we could have one hell of a player on our hands but at present I feel he gives the ball away far too much and puts his foot on the ball too much and his finishing is poor.

Literally played a one-two turned and scored a great goal from 25 yards like a week ago.

• Like 1

Love watching him play, the sort of player that can set a game alight, with the added bonus that he’s a local lad. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Love watching him play, the sort of player that can set a game alight, with the added bonus that he’s a local lad. 

That seems to be a bad thing for some. Especially local lads who grew up at our club. Like the Murphys...

15 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That seems to be a bad thing for some. Especially local lads who grew up at our club. Like the Murphys...

Never been able to work that one out.

2 hours ago, Newtopia said:

He is very good, the only one I would say I have seen who was (in my opinion) better was Ruel Fox, I guess it is a matter of opinion and how long we have been watching.  Todd is technically very good.

Yep, I remember him but just a bit before my time. Better recollection of him with the Geordies and Spurs.

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Literally played a one-two turned and scored a great goal from 25 yards like a week ago.

Indeed, speed and clinical finish. Not foot on the ball and try and dribble through 3 defenders all the time and ultimately run into a brick wall. 

One two’s around the opposition’s area and fast counter attacking.