cambridgeshire canary

And so Sheffield United continue the worst run in the top flight since 1888

Every team has fans who are bell*nds - including us - and they can't all lose, so isn't this a bit pointless? Why not toughen up a little and realise that a (set of) fan(s) of an opposition team got a little bit carried away with some small success after having achieved nothing at all in the preceding 20 or so?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Roy Keane has just said he thinks they might be the worst team ever to play in the Prem.

That means they're  almost  certainly not then  . Roy keane is a walking breathing example of saying shoite for effect, if the lights arent on him he'll say or do something to make sure they are.

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

Every team has fans who are bell*nds - including us - and they can't all lose, so isn't this a bit pointless? Why not toughen up a little and realise that a (set of) fan(s) of an opposition team got a little bit carried away with some small success after having achieved nothing at all in the preceding 20 or so?

Can't speak for others but what I enjoy about sheffield United this season is seeing how the posters who wanted to be them last season stay well clear of these threads.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Watched them play Spurs just now & they did OK I thought, one or two mistakes did for them. That & a wonder 3rd goal from Spurs, worthy of Emi - it was that outrageous!

28 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Watched them play Spurs just now & they did OK I thought, one or two mistakes did for them. That & a wonder 3rd goal from Spurs, worthy of Emi - it was that outrageous!

Certain Blades players who got a relatively free ride last season are now being caught out.  Today Norwood got caught wanting too much time twice and Spurs got two goals (albeit the second was a wonder strike).  You can argue small margins, but Sheff Utd this season have too many players at 90% of their ability, you have to have all your players right on the button 100% of the time if you haven't paid for the best.  

44 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Yes. If a Brazilian had scored that, the media would be all over it😁

Edited by keelansgrandad

I do hope we get another visit from that Sheffield United fan who paid the forum a visit towards the end of last season. I’m mildly interested in his thoughts on how things have progressed since.

15 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes. If a Brazilian had scored that, the media would be all over it😁

and if an Argentinian had scored it, the EDP would have been all over it

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Can't speak for others but what I enjoy about sheffield United this season is seeing how the posters who wanted to be them last season stay well clear of these threads.

I didn't want to be them but I did appreciate they actually made some effort to help their team stay up...

Edited by king canary

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I didn't want to be them but I did appreciate they actually made some effort to help their team stay up...

And it was all worth it for what came next too!

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

And it was all worth it for what came next too!

Well by that logic what we did in 18/19 wasn't worth it as we got relegated the season after?

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well by that logic what we did in 18/19 wasn't worth it as we got relegated the season after?

The difference being that we didn't sp*nk £20 million up the wall on McBurnie, £10 million on Mousset, £16 million on Berge, £20 million on Brewster, £18 million on Ramsdale, £5 million on Burke, etc, etc, etc. 

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

The difference being that we didn't sp*nk £20 million up the wall on McBurnie, £10 million on Mousset, £16 million on Berge, £20 million on Brewster, £18 million on Ramsdale, £5 million on Burke, etc, etc, etc. 

The same fees that people were saying "we should have bought him"

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Sure but they may also form the basis of a strong championship squad so it isnt just money wasted. 

Edited by king canary

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Sure but they may also form the basis of a strong championship squad so it isnt just money wasted. 

You don't need to spend over £90m to have "the basis of a strong championship squad" so, by that metric, it definitely is money wasted.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

That's an horrendous situation (nor planning) to have spent that amount of money, to be playing in the Championship the next season. Relegation clauses/buy out transfers etc may come into play. We (financially) planned for the Championship. Sheff Utd certainly haven't.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

At £89 million id hope for a little more than “may”....

Oh no wait. I don’t hope that at all.

on a serious note I do think Sheffield United were rightly applauded for their efforts last season, both on and off the pitch. But it just goes to show how quickly things can change in football. 

14 minutes ago, kirku said:

You don't need to spend over £90m to have "the basis of a strong championship squad" so, by that metric, it definitely is money wasted.

Exactly, Kirku - sure it makes fans who love blowing cash feel very satisfied, but the reality is that they spent 90 odd million on utter Championship level crap!

But instead of getting Aarons, Cantwell, Buendia, Lewis, Godfrey, Krul and Pukki all for under £5mill thanks to our model, I really can’t take them or us as a club seriously until we buy the exact same players for a combined £170mil.

34 minutes ago, king canary said:

Turns out we had the basis of a strong championship squad when we were relegated. And we spent a total of about £10 million when we were in the Premier League. Not hard to work out which is the better run club is it? 

34 minutes ago, king canary said:

You can't use those together to try and get a point over.

But you cannot blame Sheffield for trying. If their Chairman said go ahead and spend well thats what they have done. I have no idea how they financed it and they may well end up regretting it.

Whether the players they bought are worth it or good enough is an other matter. But of course, they aren't relegated yet.

Villa spent at least £130M when they came up with us and got slaughtered by every man and his dog until they stayed up.

We will never compete with that sort of spending and comparisons are meaningless. 

35 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

But you cannot blame Sheffield for trying. If their Chairman said go ahead and spend well thats what they have done. I have no idea how they financed it and they may well end up regretting it.

Whether the players they bought are worth it or good enough is an other matter. But of course, they aren't relegated yet.

Villa spent at least £130M when they came up with us and got slaughtered by every man and his dog until they stayed up.

We will never compete with that sort of spending and comparisons are meaningless. 

I'm sure you won't be putting any money on Sheff Utd staying up kg!

Villa stayed up, not because of their spending though and if you have to spend £130M to miss relegation by one point, we might as well give up now, but we all know that is not the model to follow.

Nothing brings out the good folks on pinkun.com more than suggesting spending money on players...

1 hour ago, kirku said:

No but half the names mentioned helped them stay up in the first season, the extra TV money likely covered their transfer fees and then some...

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

That's an horrendous situation (nor planning) to have spent that amount of money, to be playing in the Championship the next season. Relegation clauses/buy out transfers etc may come into play. We (financially) planned for the Championship. Sheff Utd certainly haven't.

It really isn't though, not by the standards of modern football. Fulham spent £100m in one year and went down but happily bounced straight back up again. I sincerely doubt the spending over the last couple of seasons is going to put Sheffield United in any serious worry (covid might not help though).

I'm not advocating Sheiffiled United as some amazingly run club, I'm just eternally confused by how people seem to want to use their failure this season to justify our failure the season before.

2 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I'm sure you won't be putting any money on Sheff Utd staying up kg!

Villa stayed up, not because of their spending though and if you have to spend £130M to miss relegation by one point, we might as well give up now, but we all know that is not the model to follow.

So what was it because of? They are 10th in the League right now and 9 of their 11 starters in the last league game were signed since they went up. That suggests theirs current success is somewhat down to the spending.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Nothing brings out the good folks on pinkun.com more than suggesting spending money on players...

No but half the names mentioned helped them stay up in the first season, the extra TV money likely covered their transfer fees and then some...

It really isn't though, not by the standards of modern football. Fulham spent £100m in one year and went down but happily bounced straight back up again. I sincerely doubt the spending over the last couple of seasons is going to put Sheffield United in any serious worry (covid might not help though).

I'm not advocating Sheiffiled United as some amazingly run club, I'm just eternally confused by how people seem to want to use their failure this season to justify our failure the season before.

I'm not saying their spending will put Sheff Utd in serious worry, but it will put them in the Championship with a lot of high earning players and transfer fees to still pay off. Will their stars stay with them next season if relegated? I don't know, but I know ours did, and they cost a fraction of the £90M the players already mentioned, cost.

Are they a well run Club? They may be, but if they are, I still think we are a far better run Club 🙂 I'm happy with how Norwich are run. If I was a Sheff Utd fan, I'd be scratching my head, wanting answers to questions such as who the hell is in charge of scouting?

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

So what was it because of? They are 10th in the League right now and 9 of their 11 starters in the last league game were signed since they went up. That suggests theirs current success is somewhat down to the spending.

They wouldn't be anywhere near the Prem if it wasn't for a dud battery ( 🙂 ). That had nothing to do with money spent.

It looks like whatever any money spent 'seems' to be working for Villa, but Sheff Utd would have said exactly the same 1 year ago. 

Is it a short term vision or a long term plan? Time will tell (but it's looking only one way for Sheff Utd) 

1 minute ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I'm not saying their spending will put Sheff Utd in serious worry, but it will put them in the Championship with a lot of high earning players and transfer fees to still pay off. Will their stars stay with them next season if relegated? I don't know, but I know ours did, and they cost a fraction of the £90M the players already mentioned, cost.

Are they a well run Club? They may be, but if they are, I still think we are a far better run Club 🙂 I'm happy with how Norwich are run. If I was a Sheff Utd fan, I'd be scratching my head, wanting answers to questions such as who the hell is in charge of scouting?

I'm not so sure they will have loads of high earning players to be honest. I believe they had one of the lowest wage bills in the League last season and while it will have gone up I doubt they are paying much more than most lower end Premier League teams. They'll likely also have wage reductions written in to their contracts (as do most teams at that sort of level).

Sure there are going to be big questions to ask about scouting and how they've fallen off so far so suddenly. I think they are likely pretty well run though and will be able to bounce back. As much as some don't want to admit it, they achieved something we haven't in nearly a decade- staying up in the top flight after promotion. That is going to be the big challenge for us in this model.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Villa only stayed up because they were the beneficiaries of one of the most outrageous pieces of luck in the history of football - namely the failure of goal line technology to give a goal against them when the ball was clearly over the line.