GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Much needed 2 wk break from the League...team for Coventry FA Cup?

...probably come at a good time...and we can stare at us at the top of the table for at least another fortnight....and a chance to give some returning players some valuable minutes next week...an early team prediction?

Krul

Mumba(inj?)Zimmerman Gibson Quintila

Rupp      Tettey

Dowell      Steipermann     Placheta

Hugill

Barden Obomidele Martin Omotoye Hernandez(inj?)

What's the point selecting players who are injured?

I wouldn't play Krul either. His kicking was off today, couldn't reach the halfway line.

Edited by Capt. Pants

Barden

? Zimmermann Gibson Quintilla

Rupp Tettey

Placheta Dowell Martin

Hugill

I wouldnt risk Aaron's, has had a couple of knocks in games recently. Just need someone fill in RB.

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

12 games in the last 43 days....now have 13 off...

Fair enough. We also have a very good record after breaks from the league

I doubt Onel or Mumba will be considered, Farke was talking about the possibility of them returning by the end of the month. Seeing as we've got a week either side of the match it's a great opportunity to give some of the senior players a proper rest. 

Maybe something like:

Barden
Aarons Zimmermann Gibson Quintilla
Tettey Rupp
Martin Stiepermann Placheta
Hugill

Could even give Nizet a run at right back if we really wanted to mix it up, although I think he's predominantly a left back. Subs something like Krul, Omobamidele, Sorensen, McAlear, Vrancic, Dowell, Omotoye, Dickson-Peters and one other first-team regular.

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

Feels like Aarons, Skipp, Pukki and Buendia could all do with a break for sure

Agree with this and Hanley too. Send them off for a week break not involved at all, great chance for Placheta, Martin, Hudgil, Dowell, Rupp, Tettey, Quintilla and Gibson to play, only awkward ones will be whether Timmy needs longer to be fully certain and who to play right back. 

Aarons must cover so much ground in each game. He could put his feet up. Skipp has played every game. Barden is back up so needs a game.

How about

Barden

Zimmermann Gibson Omobamidele

Martin Tettey Sorenson Quintilla

Dowell Hugill Placheta

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Aarons must cover so much ground in each game. He could put his feet up. Skipp has played every game. Barden is back up so needs a game.

How about

Barden

Zimmermann Gibson Omobamidele

Martin Tettey Sorenson Quintilla

Dowell Hugill Placheta

Personally I don’t think that will be a million miles out. Just maybe they will need to play Krul to get him up to match readiness, but that is a maybe, the medical team will know more.

I don't think we will put anything like a first team out for this one, injuries still mounting up and other players in need of a rest. Don't see you chaps doing it either, crap tie for both clubs.

It is on some random BT channel I think

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...probably come at a good time...and we can stare at us at the top of the table for at least another fortnight....and a chance to give some returning players some valuable minutes next week...an early team prediction?

Krul

Mumba(inj?)Zimmerman Gibson Quintila

Rupp      Tettey

Dowell      Steipermann     Placheta

Hugill

Barden Obomidele Martin Omotoye Hernandez(inj?)

No way will Krul play next week.Or Gibson.

41 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

I don't think we will put anything like a first team out for this one, injuries still mounting up and other players in need of a rest. Don't see you chaps doing it either, crap tie for both clubs.

It is on some random BT channel I think

Could be a battle of who wants it least... 😉

How highly do you rate Gustavo Hamer, by the way? Do you think he'll stay in this window? Very impressed with the little I've seen, but interested to hear a Cov fan's opinion.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Could be a battle of who wants it least... 😉

How highly do you rate Gustavo Hamer, by the way? Do you think he'll stay in this window? Very impressed with the little I've seen, but interested to hear a Cov fan's opinion.

Cracking player, think this window is too soon. Same goes for Dabo, who seems to be eating up opposition left backs every game now. Both will be on other clubs' radars in the summer if they keep it up. Hamer is quality, but still struggling a bit with discipline and composure which he'll get in time.

Going under the radar thankfully is Callum O'Hare, signed for nothing from Villa and very talented also.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Youssef's Safari said:

Cracking player, think this window is too soon. Same goes for Dabo, who seems to be eating up opposition left backs every game now. Both will be on other clubs' radars in the summer if they keep it up. Hamer is quality, but still struggling a bit with discipline and composure which he'll get in time.

Going under the radar thankfully is Callum O'Hare, signed for nothing from Villa and very talented also.

Dabo and Hamer are excellent players. Coventry would want £10m for either I’d guess. 

1 minute ago, Youssef's Safari said:

Does he play more defensively, or is he more of a box-to-box player? He seems quite creative from what I've seen, but a bit of Wiki research seems to show he's more of a hard-working defensive midfielder...

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Dabo and Hamer are excellent players. Coventry would want £10m for either I’d guess. 

We'd want enough to be able to sign replacements and add an extra improvement to the squad. Don't think either will draw PL interest yet though.

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Does he play more defensively, or is he more of a box-to-box player? He seems quite creative from what I've seen, but a bit of Wiki research seems to show he's more of a hard-working defensive midfielder...

He started out very much as a DM, but recently he's started trying to push further up and make more use of his ability to shoot from distance. He has the engine to play more box to box for sure but as I said needs to show more discipline and composure. Has incredible vision just doesn't always pull it off

1 minute ago, Youssef's Safari said:

He started out very much as a DM, but recently he's started trying to push further up and make more use of his ability to shoot from distance. He has the engine to play more box to box for sure but as I said needs to show more discipline and composure. Has incredible vision just doesn't always pull it off

Thanks for that. I won't lie, I was thinking about who we might look to sign if we do end up selling Buendia. Let's talk again in the summer 🙂

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Thanks for that. I won't lie, I was thinking about who we might look to sign if we do end up selling Buendia. Let's talk again in the summer 🙂

I don't think he'd be good enough to replace Buendia, though I can't think of many in this league who are.

4 minutes ago, Youssef's Safari said:

I don't think he'd be good enough to replace Buendia, though I can't think of many in this league who are.

This is the thing, it's about trying to find a rough diamond and polish them up. We did it with Maddison, and again with Buendia... it'd be quite the trick to be able to find another player close to that level.

When you look at how we’re currently doing in the league can’t afford to risk losing any of our best players in an unimportant cup match, when we don’t need a good cup run, and we’re looking to win promotion, not the cup. As a result of this I would try to give as many first team players as possible a rest.

Here’s my squad:

GK: Barden - give him some more experience.

RB: Nizet - heard he’s actually a LB, but can he play RB as well? Hand him a first team debut. Mumba would have been my first choice, and if Rupp makes the match day squad I can only see him fit enough for the bench 

CBs: Zimmermann and Omobamidele - need to save the Hanley/Gibson partnership for the league, so give Zimbo some game time and a youth team product a first team debut

LB: Quintilla - here on loan, but since he’s come back from injury has only featured as an unused sub

DMs: Tettey(c) and Vrancic - This may very well be the last season of Tettey’s career and possibly Mario’s last season with us so give them some game time

RW: Martin - needs to get more experience, so save Emi for the league

CAM: Dowell - although he’s my first choice for this position in the league, he’s just back and so needs to get some game time back under his belt

LW: Placheta - hopefully he’ll be fit to start, but another one just back from injury so needs to get going again.

ST: Omotoye or Hugill - can’t decide who. For me it’s either hand another youth team product a first senior start or give the current backup striker more game time. One to start, one for the bench

Not sure who I’d name for the subs, all I can say is I’d put McCracken as the sub GK so Krul gets as much time as possible to fully recover - had fears about him playing today

Edited by HazzaJet
  • Like 1

Buendia is a one off. I think we would have to adapt our style to something and someone else.t

But who knows, there might be another Emi in Spain or Argentina.

Barden

Rupp     Zimmermann     Gibson     Quintilla

Tettey        Vrancic

Martin        Dowell        Cantwell

Hugill

Subs: Placheta, McLean, Sorensen, Omotoye, Omobamidele, McAlear, Stiepermann(?), Aarons, Krul(GK)

No need to risk Krul, get some minutes into Rupp, Gibson gets back into his rhythm, Quintilla sees some pitch time, ditto Martin, Hugill & Dowell, Cantwell needs pitch time too. Still a decent looking team, nice blend of youth & experience, all who need minutes bar Placheta starting & plenty of options off the bench. Possibly a lack of physicality between Tetts & Hugill but any from Rupp, Sorensen, McLean & Marco can remedy that if needed during the game. 

Obviously promotion is the primary goal but I'm in the "win the cup games too" camp. Winning is a good habit, momentum is important, great to get minutes into legs & the likes of Hugill, Josh Martin, Dowell & Quintilla might just have something to prove in this game. I for one was very disappointed when Harry Maguire put us out of the cup last May/June after a battling performance. 

3 hours ago, paddycanary said:

Barden

Rupp     Zimmermann     Gibson     Quintilla

Tettey        Vrancic

Martin        Dowell        Cantwell

Hugill

Subs: Placheta, McLean, Sorensen, Omotoye, Omobamidele, McAlear, Stiepermann(?), Aarons, Krul(GK)

No need to risk Krul, get some minutes into Rupp, Gibson gets back into his rhythm, Quintilla sees some pitch time, ditto Martin, Hugill & Dowell, Cantwell needs pitch time too. Still a decent looking team, nice blend of youth & experience, all who need minutes bar Placheta starting & plenty of options off the bench. Possibly a lack of physicality between Tetts & Hugill but any from Rupp, Sorensen, McLean & Marco can remedy that if needed during the game. 

Obviously promotion is the primary goal but I'm in the "win the cup games too" camp. Winning is a good habit, momentum is important, great to get minutes into legs & the likes of Hugill, Josh Martin, Dowell & Quintilla might just have something to prove in this game. I for one was very disappointed when Harry Maguire put us out of the cup last May/June after a battling performance. 

Team for Coventry:

Barden

Sorensen, Gibson, Zimmerman, Quintilla

Rupp, Tettey

Martin, Stiepermann, Placheta

Hugill 

Just now, Jersey Canary said:

Team for Coventry:

Barden

Sorensen, Gibson, Zimmerman, Quintilla

Rupp, Tettey

Martin, Stiepermann, Placheta

Hugill 

Stiepermann or Dowell. 

Not sure if Dowell's ready. He was disappointing when he came on yesterday. DF shouldn't bother if a player isn't 100% & is going to be a complete passenger.