cambridgeshire canary

Team v Coventry (FA cup)

I’d rest Aarons and Sorrenson as well, even if that means playing youth full backs or tettey/Rupp  at fullback.

key players all need a rest and I’m willing to sacrifice the cup (also expect coventry will play plenty of reserves as well given priority for them is to stay in championship)

Aarons, Hanley, Buendia, Skipp and Pukki should all be given a whole week of nothing strenuous at all and shouldn't be anywhere near the matchday squad. 

Can that Nizet play RB? If so, I'd go;

Barden, Quintilla, Omobamidele, Zimbo, Nizet, Tettey, Rupp (if fit), Placheta, Dowell, Cantwell, Hugill

Barden

? Zimmermann Gibson Quintilla

Rupp Tettey

Placheta Dowell Martin

Hugill

I wouldnt risk Aaron's, has had a couple of knocks in games recently. Just need someone fill in RB.

Just now, rock bus said:

I’d rest Aarons and Sorrenson as well, even if that means playing youth full backs or tettey/Rupp  at fullback.

key players all need a rest and I’m willing to sacrifice the cup (also expect coventry will play plenty of reserves as well given priority for them is to stay in championship)

Totally agree. Aarons can also use a breather. Might as well put Rupp there and give him 90 minutes. Zimmermann should be in at centre-half, so probably him and Omobamidele.

GK: Dan BARDEN
LB: Xavi QUINTILLA
CB: Christoph ZIMMERMANN
CB: Andrew OMOBAMIDELE
RB: Lukas RUPP
DM: Alex TETTEY
DM: Mario VRANCIC
LW: Przemyslaw PLACHETA
CAM: Kieran DOWELL
RW: Todd CANTWELL
CF: Jordan HUGILL

I would put Sørensen in defensive midfield, but he could use a breather too. Alternatively, get the next youngster at right-back and put Rupp on at RW.

Just now, Move Klose said:

Why is everyone leaving out Josh Martin?

Good point. He can use a flank. Think we all probably thought he was still injured.

When you look at how we’re currently doing in the league can’t afford to risk losing any of our best players in an unimportant cup match, when we don’t need a good cup run, and we’re looking to win promotion, not the cup. As a result of this I would try to give as many first team players as possible a rest. I also doubt 

Here’s my squad:

GK: Barden - give him some more experience.

RB: Nizet - heard he’s actually a LB, but can he play RB as well? Hand him a first team debut. Mumba would have been my first choice, and if Rupp makes the match day squad I can only see him fit enough for the bench 

CBs: Zimmermann and Omobamidele - need to save the Hanley/Gibson partnership for the league, so give Zimbo some game time and a youth team product a first team debut

LB: Quintilla - here on loan, but since he’s come back from injury has only featured as an unused sub

DMs: Tettey(c) and Vrancic - This may very well be the last season of Tettey’s career and possibly Mario’s last season with us so give them some game time

RW: Martin - needs to get more experience, so save Emi for the league

CAM: Dowell - although he’s my first choice for this position in the league, he’s just back and so needs to get some game time back under his belt

LW: Placheta - hopefully he’ll be fit to start, but another one just back from injury so needs to get going again.

ST: Omotoye or Hugill - can’t decide who. For me it’s either hand another youth team product a first senior start or give the current backup striker more game time. One to start, one for the bench

Not sure who I’d name for the subs, all I can say is I’d put McCracken as the sub GK so Krul gets as much time as possible to fully recover - had fears about him playing today

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

You're right. We have quite a few key players injured from putting a small squad through a thick wedge of fixtures and those on the fringes really need the game time. We could probably do with losing it to be honest though the prize money would be nice, it's still less than a home game on Sky

I would keep Cantwell  sat in the stands.

Definitely a game for non starting First team players and recently injured (Martin, Xavi, Dowell, Marco, Hugill, Tettey, Placheta, Barden, Rupp) and Zimmermann. Would be good to see Omotoye and Omobamidele get some decent minutes also

If we hadn't had the intensity of fixtures, then perhaps a slightly different slant on it, but you would think we need a lot of cotton wool this week. 

Krull will start, given he's not played much lately, and I'd imagine Hanley will be rested along with Sorensen.

GK: Tim Krull
RB: Max AARONS
RW: Josh MARTIN

Edited by AJ

On 02/01/2021 at 19:04, HazzaJet said:

ST: Omotoye or Hugill - can’t decide who. For me it’s either hand another youth team product a first senior start or give the current backup striker more game time. One to start, one for the bench

Start with Hugill and then bring Omotoye on I think. Hugill is our first choice cover for Pukki so we need him to get some decent game time to maintain his sharpness.

On 02/01/2021 at 19:04, HazzaJet said:

When you look at how we’re currently doing in the league can’t afford to risk losing any of our best players in an unimportant cup match, when we don’t need a good cup run, and we’re looking to win promotion, not the cup. As a result of this I would try to give as many first team players as possible a rest. I also doubt 

Here’s my squad:

GK: Barden - give him some more experience.

RB: Nizet - heard he’s actually a LB, but can he play RB as well? Hand him a first team debut. Mumba would have been my first choice, and if Rupp makes the match day squad I can only see him fit enough for the bench 

CBs: Zimmermann and Omobamidele - need to save the Hanley/Gibson partnership for the league, so give Zimbo some game time and a youth team product a first team debut

LB: Quintilla - here on loan, but since he’s come back from injury has only featured as an unused sub

DMs: Tettey(c) and Vrancic - This may very well be the last season of Tettey’s career and possibly Mario’s last season with us so give them some game time

RW: Martin - needs to get more experience, so save Emi for the league

CAM: Dowell - although he’s my first choice for this position in the league, he’s just back and so needs to get some game time back under his belt

LW: Placheta - hopefully he’ll be fit to start, but another one just back from injury so needs to get going again.

Not sure who I’d name for the subs, all I can say is I’d put McCracken as the sub GK so Krul gets as much time as possible to fully recover - had fears about him playing today

If Hugill does'nt start I imagine he'll be knocking on Farkes  door with some force!!!!!🥴

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AJ said:

Krull will start, given he's not played much lately, and I'd imagine Hanley will be rested along with Sorensen.

GK: Tim Krill

No chance Krul will start, 1 game back in which I don't think he was 100% with only Barden as current back up until another signing is made

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AJ said:

GK: Tim Krill

Well, I think that would be a hard one for DF, and  Barden would smell something funny if he didn't start..........

• Haha 1

For what it's worth, this is Michael Bailey's team below. He says that Mumba and Hernandez could feature from the bench but Rupp is unlikely to make it.

Using that as a starting point, I'd make one change: Sorensen in midfield for McLean. I think Sorensen finally deserves the chance to make his first appearance for us in his proper position.

Screenshot_20210107-124534.png

I could see Cantwell getting some minutes for this one probably off the bench as it makes sense for Placheta/Dowell/Martin to start. I would love for him to get a goal in this match to start him firing in the league.

After 2 games a week, all the regular starters and not quite fit need resting. 

Our advantage is that we can still field a strong side. When Farke first arrived he didn't agree with playing a weakened side in the cup but has gradually changed his mind. 

21 minutes ago, Jarders said:

I could see Cantwell getting some minutes for this one probably off the bench as it makes sense for Placheta/Dowell/Martin to start. I would love for him to get a goal in this match to start him firing in the league.

Hugill, Placheta and Dowell could do with getting some goals under their belts as well!

I think there is an interesting point to be made about our approach to the cup and also our approach to running the football club in general, especially in contrast to others. I know that many bemoan the approach so many clubs take these days, they have devalued the league and FA cup to an extent. However, when it comes to Norwich (especially in the last couple of seasons) I honestly don't view us naming some of the younger lads as us just filling an 11 to avoid playing our league first team, like so many do in the top flight. In a similar way to us transforming the concept of what it means by sending a player away on loan, I honestly think the cup competitions are an opportunity for us to aggressively develop youth players and also keep the competition high for our league squad.  Hopefully we see a couple of names in the line up and bench who want to show they are ready to make the step up or to be sent to a club on loan to prepare them for the first team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AJ said:

GK: Tim Krull

This team. Shame we cant rest Aarons too, unless there is someone in the youth side available. 

Im not fussed about the cup, but would be good for players confidence and good to get some fringe players some minutes

15 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

With all due respect to Michael Bailey ... I don't want Max Aarons anywhere f*cking near that XI!

We don't have any replacements available so it makes sense to play him. Can always take him off if we get ahead and are comfortable. 

Possibly Sorensen at RB if Max to be rested. 

I"d expect a very strong bench to enable Farke to 'cup tie' the likes of Buendia, Max or Cantwell and put off one or two suitors.

Anyone know if it's 5 subs or 3?

Can Reece McAlear not play RB? Already made his debut so be good to get him some more minutes.

Edited by Clint

1 hour ago, AJ said:

We don't have any replacements available so it makes sense to play him. Can always take him off if we get ahead and are comfortable. 

we dont even have enough cover at CB to play 3 at the back .