lappinitup

*****Unofficial Match Thread v Barnsley*****

25 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Barnsley are a neat side who will take points off our rivals. Thankfully our extra bit of quality got the job done. 

and they are at home to Swansea in their next League game

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

You do know it's not compulsory to score with a header from a corner?

But it is desirable!

13 minutes ago, Alfie54 said:

But it is desirable!

The point being that you can score with heads, feet or off the goalie’s ****, they all count.

Edited by Nuff Said

Really pleased with that win. We still didn't quite reach the heights that we're capable of, but I thought performance-wise it was a big improvement on the last couple of displays. 

Barnsley started off very well. Certainly looked like a side who were full of confidence and in good form. They pressed us really effectively and were probably the better team for the first half an hour. If they took a chance during that period (and they were unlucky not to when Thomas smacked the ball off the bar) then it's a completely different game. They probably would've shut up shop and made life hard for us. But we were certainly growing into the game, and I think Barnsley found it hard to maintain their high-energy, intense style, meaning as the game went on we looked more and more in control.

No doubt we deserved the win in the end, and it should've been by more. Cantwell generally had a good game, but in-front of goal his decision-making at times was very questionable, constantly wanting to take an extra touch that he didn't need. Pukki wasn't nearly as ruthless and sure of himself as he normally is either, illustrated by him overhitting a pretty simple 10 yard pass to Cantwell, who would've had an open goal to aim at if Pukki got the pass right. It is a bit worrying that we're quite wasteful when getting big chances not killing teams off, as this is far from the first time we've won a game by one goal when it should've been by 2 or 3, but with Krul and Gibson in our back 5 we look so much more assured and confident at seeing games out.

I don't think there were any bad performances really, but Emi was inarguably man of the match. It's actually unbelievable that he's playing at Championship level, he's a top 6 Premier League player. That finish for the goal was absolutely beautiful, as was the pass from McLean, who was runner-up in the man of the match listings for me. Really good performance from him. 

It's a real shame we didn't gain those extra 2 points off of QPR, because we'd have a fantastic lead at the top if we did, but we're still in a brilliant position. If you said 6 games ago that from Blackburn, Reading, Cardiff, Watford, QPR and Barnsley we'd take 4 wins, a draw and a defeat I would've been delighted with that. Hopefully now we can give some key players a rest over the next 2 weeks and go into the second half of the season refreshed.

Edited by Pukki Blinders