lappinitup

*****Unofficial Match Thread v Barnsley*****

I guess we would all like to see a few hammerings handed out, but we are all about this season I suppose, and if we keep winning,  then what's not to like? (Apart from the 1 goal margins not doing some of us any favours)

We can worry about next season when if comes

Bournemouth may have 2 games in hand and effectively, Brentford have to squeeze a couple more games , than we have in our schedule now, so that may have an effect yet with a congested schedule (injuries etc) I'd certainly prefer the points in the bag

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

👍👍

Same here, I thought it was something to do with a hedgehog. Didn't you have him as your avatar some time ago?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Fair, I just dont think winning every game by a single goal is sustainable over a full season.

With the chances we create we should really be running away with this league.

It’s a valid concern but it’s nice to be in a position where that’s probably the worst thing you can fault us for at the minute!

It really just feels like a matter of time until we batter someone though, we can’t really do much more

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Agreed, but on the flip side, we're top of the league and arguably only hit top gear in one half v Bristol City. If we can find that top gear regularly we'll **** it. 

Well, I think we were also on it against Cardiff but the point is valid. We haven't played consistently well yet and certainly are not scoring the goals we should be. If we do, it will be very difficult for anyone to stop us.

Funnily enough I thought Barnsley were poor but they worked their socks off and identified what it might take to deny us.

I thought Vrancic played too deep. As the No 10, he shouldn't be dropping back to pick up the ball on halfway.

Cantwell had a mare but Emi displayed his array of skills to negate his lack of support from Todd, who I must admit, looked to have swapped places with Vrancic  second half.

Krul obviously doesn't want to kick the ball.

Once again our set pieces are non events and consist of Hanley heading wide. 

But somehow, because we are a good team in midfield, we can dictate how games are played. We have 70+% possession.

We cannot play two up front with our system but Teemu is not scoring like he was. One on one was his strength but now he looks unsure.

I'm glad I am not the coach. How does he turn our domination into goals without sacrificing the best midfield in the league?

2 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Same here, I thought it was something to do with a hedgehog. Didn't you have him as your avatar some time ago?

Quite a while ago I had a smiling Sonic yes and then my dog Snowy for a good while. But it's always been "Steady on....."

Krul and Gibson back in, clean sheet. 

As many others have said, we need to be more clinical. For all the flair of Buendia and Cantwell we need a touch of pace and directness. Placheta and Hernandez will offer that, and once one returns to the side I think we'll open teams up more. I also think that'll help Pukki find space too, and hit the goal trail again. 

We're stuck in 3rd gear.. with the occasional shift to 4th, which produces  game changing moments. It feels like we're really close to moving into top gear, but then again we've been saying that for a while now! Hernandez could be the missing piece. 

Edited by Il Pirata

We only have Emi as a one touch footballer up front. Anyone else would have wanted to bring the ball under control and then shoot. Which is why we don't score so many. Buendia knows he can can score with a flick.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

It’s a valid concern but it’s nice to be in a position where that’s probably the worst thing you can fault us for at the minute!

It really just feels like a matter of time until we batter someone though, we can’t really do much more

Yeah, it would be nice for Todd, Kenny, Dowell etc to find their shooting boots to support Emi and Teemu. I'm also hopeful that Idah may grab a few second half of the season.

Genuine question, why is our finishing so bad? Is it just pressure, or is there another reason we seem to want to pass the ball into an empty net when we have excellent opportunities to shoot?

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

Fair, I just dont think winning every game by a single goal is sustainable over a full season.

Id be more concerned were we not creating the chances to be honest.

I thought Teemu was a little off it today. I love him because he rarely gives the ball away but his  usual ruthlessness  has left him a touch. He will come good. Emi MOTM and now let's hope we can keep him in this silly season to come.

Another dreadful performance from Cantwell , I would have scored those 2 chances.

Time for him to be given a long rest and give the young Polish chap a good run on the team 

It’s odd that we didn’t score more, but we certainly deserved the win (no idea what Gossy was warbling on about at the end, that Barnsley would be aggrieved not to get a point).  I don’t think you can blame Pukki too much today, the chances fell far more cleanly to others.

Stoke v Cherries later, hopefully they’ll bombard them and get a result.

After numerous comments elsewhere, and repeatedly by Goreham and Goss this afternoon we did seem to be quicker on the attack, whereby te ball was got forward far quicker than previous

Though we still felt the need to try to walk the ball in - see Pukki/Cantwell

Takeaway the McLean/Buendia goal, and we were once again woeful in front of goal, with Hugill's offside lob into the net being the next best finish

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Id be more concerned were we not creating the chances to be honest.

Yeah I'm not saying its a disaster, as someone else said its not the worst issue to have!

8 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Well, I think we were also on it against Cardiff but the point is valid. We haven't played consistently well yet and certainly are not scoring the goals we should be. If we do, it will be very difficult for anyone to stop us.

Good shout, forgot Cardiff, awesome performance. 

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

I actually think it is, based on the quality of the opposition. I know QPR snatched a point last week (and could have had all 3 ) and Barnsley had a late chance, but over all, the large percentage of games can accrue us enough points to go up. It's proven good so far and on one side we could say we have been lucky to win by just one goal as it always leaves you open to concede, but the flip side is we can say we should have won a few games , up to now, by large margins. That's football.

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

I thought Teemu was a little off it today. I love him because he rarely gives the ball away but his  usual ruthlessness  has left him a touch. He will come good. Emi MOTM and now let's hope we can keep him in this silly season to come.

Without Emi we will struggle to create the chances for Teemu and Todd to fluff. But if someone comes with a cheque book, expect to be disappointed for the rest of the season. I've lost count of the MOTM he's won.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

My 18 month old is wearing his new Norwich shirt for the first time today, so if we win its all down to him.

Poor kid has to wear this every time we play from now on.

Anybody else think it looked like they were playing on a frozen pitch today? The ball seemed to behave oddly at times & the players unsure of their touch as a result.

Makes not a jot of difference to Emi of course. But then he's not really human ....

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Good shout, forgot Cardiff, awesome performance. 

Stoke first half also?

And if we don't win we'll know you've not dressed your child appropriately.

• Haha 1

He could look like the Incredible Hulk in about 2 years time

1 minute ago, Uncle Fred said:

Another dreadful performance from Cantwell , I would have scored those 2 chances.

Time for him to be given a long rest and give the young Polish chap a good run on the team 

I wasn’t a fan of Cantwell two seasons ago but then his form at times last season made me rethink and feel maybe I was harsh.

But I’m back to square one again with the lad . H e may have the odd good game or touch but not consistent enough and for me , just not quiet good enough in general . 
A little how a felt with the Murphy twins. Nearly but not quite.

Today I thought he was very very poor when presented with some wonderful chances .

• Like 1