Sign in to follow this  
MrBunce

Cryptic Norwich City Squad

Inspired by the cryptic EFL teams on the Barnsley forum: https://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/cryptic-efl-teams-back-by-popular-demand.299218/

I've had a go at a cryptic Norwich City Squad. Some word plays, anagrams and cryptic clues. Apologies in advance for some of the er... less stellar ones. Some are full names, some are first or surnames only (it was quite a challenge to create the clues). I'll be back later with the answers, but happy to give hints.

1  Super at free kicks!
2  Leeds seethe for me all around plus he's our number 1?
3  Peg lost
4  Speedster, change to halt pace
5  Time cut short - sounds harsh
6  German Jesus needs a walking frame 
7  We've not seen much of him but tells a good tale with some English
8  Hops around the edge of penalty area after always asking for more
9  The Mayor firstly means to tidy up?
10  Host guard of the six yard box?
11  Found in a lonely Argos
12  The great Macedonian sounding cuppa
13  Initially the Greatest Of All Time?
14  The big one from Burnley
15  Fouled major hints
16  Holiday resort for mother sheep
17  A great traveller and reportedly more expensive bloke 
18  This midfielder has erupted into quite a player this season
19  Gives a lot does our captain
20  LB for a new job's resonance
21  Spaniard with his five wingless villas
22  Tango unusual - Holty doesn't like his dancing!
23  Model with not quite extensive sickness
24  Barmy party after an end of Christmas set-back
25  Partners Eve - up front 
26  The top full back!
Edited by MrBunce
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MrBunce said:

Inspired by the cryptic EFL teams on the Barnsley forum: https://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/cryptic-efl-teams-back-by-popular-demand.299218/

I've had a go at a cryptic Norwich City Squad. Some word plays, anagrams and cryptic clues. Apologies in advance for some of the er... less stellar ones. Some are full names, some are first or surnames only (it was quite a challenge to create the clues). I'll be back later with the answers, but happy to give hints.

1  Super at free kicks!
2  Leeds seethe for me all around plus he's our number 1?
3  Peg lost
4  Speedster, change to halt pace
5  Time cut short - sounds harsh
6  German Jesus needs a walking frame 
7  We've not seen much of him but tells a good tale with some English
8  Hops around the edge of penalty area after always asking for more
9  The Mayor firstly means to tidy up?
10  Host guard of the six yard box?
11  Found in a lonely Argos
12  The great Macedonian sounding cuppa
13  Initially the Greatest Of All Time?
14  The big one from Burnley
15  Fouled major hints
16  Holiday resort for mother sheep
17  A great traveller and reportedly more expensive bloke 
18  This midfielder has erupted into quite a player this season
19  Gives a lot does our captain
20  LB for a new job's resonance
21  Spaniard with his five wingless villas
22  Tango unusual - Holty doesn't like his dancing!
23  Model with not quite extensive sickness
24  Barmy party after an end of Christmas set-back
25  Partners Eve - up front 
26  The top full back!

Think I have 23 out of 26 of these.  missing 2, 7 and 10. Have sent pm with my answers.  Thanks for putting this up. It was a fun 30 minutes during a dreary day in lock-down.

Thanks Kanadyan Kanary.

#10 was the last clue I came up with - clue for those attempting: it is a first name only.

#2 and #10 were perhaps not expected to play much of a role this season

18 hours ago, MrBunce said:

#10 was the last clue I came up with - clue for those attempting: it is a first name only.

Do you mean surname only for 10? I count effectively 2, 11, 14, 19, 25 & 26 as (directly) rendering first names only

Thanks for putting that together, never a straightforward task and it was fun to almost complete! 

To be honest I can’t get 22 from the cryptic part, although it’s clear who it is 

Thanks @Thirsty Lizard for explaining 22 via DM!

Edited by GenerationA47
Thanks to the Lizard

8 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

Do you mean surname only for 10? I count effectively 2, 11, 14, 19, 25 & 26 as (directly) rendering first names only

Thanks for putting that together, never a straightforward task and it was fun to complete! 

To be honest I can’t get 22 from the cryptic part, although it’s clear who it is 

D'oh - that's right, number 10 is a surname!

• Like 1

The answers:

1  Super at free kicks! MARIO Super -> MARIO; the freekick king
2  Leeds seethe for me all around plus he's our number 1? EMI Leeds seeth for EMI when we signed him; me all around = EM; he's our number 1 = I
3  Peg lost DOWELL Peg = DOWEL; Lost = L
4  Speedster, change to halt pace PLACHETA The Polish speedster PLACHETA; anagaram of halt pace = PLACHETA
5  Time cut short - sounds harsh TIM KRUL Time cut short = TIMe; sounds harsh = CRUEL = KRUL
6  German Jesus needs a walking frame  CHRISTOPH ZIMMERMANN German Jesus = CHRISTOPH; needs help walking -> ZIMMER (frame)
7  We've not seen much of him but tells a good tale with some English BARDEN Not seen much of young MICHAEL; tells a good tale = BARD with some english = EN
8  Hops around the edge of penalty area after always asking for more OLIVER SKIPP Hops around = SKIP; the edge of Penalty area = P -> SKIPP; after asking for more = OLIVER (twist)
9  The Mayor firstly means to tidy up? MCLEAN The Mayor = KENNY McLEAN; Firstly means = M; to tidy up = CLEAN
10  Host guard of the six yard box? MCGOVERN Host = MC; Guard = GOVERN; not quite a dominating presence in our six yard box as Krul though
11  Found in lonely Argos ONEL lONELy plus his love of Argos
12  The great Macedonian sounding cuppa ALEXANDER TETTEY The Great = ALEX; Sounding cuppa = Tetley = TETTEY
13  Initially the Greatest Of All Time? PUKKI GOAT in finnish = Pukki; his goal scoring record sets him on the way to being our GOAT?
14  The big one from Burnley BEN GIBSON Big BEN on loan from Burnley
15  Fouled major hints JOSH MARTIN Anagram of major hints
16  Holiday resort for mother sheep BALI MUMBA Holiday resort = BALI; Mother = MUM; Sheep = BA
17  A great traveller and reportedly more expensive bloke  MACO STIEPERMANN Great traveller = MARCO (Polo); reportedly expensive = steeper = STIEPER; bloke = MAN(N)
18  This midfielder has erupted into quite a player this season RUPP Struggled with this one…; eRUPPted; had a great season until injury
19  Gives a lot does our captain GRANT Gives a lot = GRANT; our captain: GRANT HANLEY
20  LB for a new job's resonance JACOB SORENSEN Anagram of job's resonance, the LB job has certainly resonanted with him
21  Spaniard with his five wingless villas QUINTILLA Our only spaniard; Five = QUINT; wingless villas = ILLA
22  Tango unusual - Holty doesn't like his dancing! TODD Tango = T; unusual = ODD; Big Grant Holt has been slamming his dancing recently
23  Model with not quite extensive sickness JORDAN HUGILL Model = Jordan; not quite extensive = HUGe; sickness = ILL
24  Barmy party after an end of Christmas set-back SAM BYRAM Anagram of BARMY = BYRAM; after end of christMAS backwards = SAM
25  Partners Eve - up front  ADAM Partner of  Eve = Adam, up front = striker
26  The top full back! MAX The top = MAX; our top (only fit) full back?

I read number 26 as being Aarons and he would come up 1st in a Google search!

Still, I got it.

Edited by sonyc