Crabbycanary3

McGovern out for 3 to 4 months

Nothing wrong with a cheeky free transfer for an older keeper with a contract to the end of the season. Not to mention, the experience is also useful for a young keeper.

I'd actually prefer to see Barden on loan at a League One or Two side that keep the ball on the floor, but that's not happening now McGovern's pinged his hamstring.

Such a shame for McGovern to have his first proper run in the side ended by such a big injury. I know he obviously would've been replaced by Krul the second he was fully fit, but after doing a generally solid job it's a real blow for him.

I wouldn't be against us signing a goalkeeper to back-up Krul, but I don't think it's an absolute necessity. A lot of clubs use their u23s goalkeeper as their 2nd choice for the first team, and between McCracken, Oxborough and Barden we do have 3 talented, if raw, young goalkeepers. Chances are that now Krul is back fully fit we hopefully won't need to rely on our back-up anyway.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Would require a few of you to backtrack somewhat though after saying you'd prefer Barden. Weren't you one of them? What has changed your mind? 

I can't remember if I was "one of them" or not but I would certainly have supported the sentiment. Barden will have gained valuable experience by being number 3, playing a game or two and being part of the first team set up.

However, we need three goalkeepers and as McGovern is out for 4 months we will only have two which is too much of a risk. I believe Oxborough is still injured, Mair is on loan and I don't know enough about McCracken.

I suppose it depends upon how much they rate the youngsters, but there many be a case for giving them the nod over some journeyman who although older might be no better. I just can't see us getting a talented keeper on loan that would be happy to sit as number two or three.

1 hour ago, Pukki Blinders said:

Such a shame for McGovern to have his first proper run in the side ended by such a big injury. I know he obviously would've been replaced by Krul the second he was fully fit, but after doing a generally solid job it's a real blow for him.

I wouldn't be against us signing a goalkeeper to back-up Krul, but I don't think it's an absolute necessity. A lot of clubs use their u23s goalkeeper as their 2nd choice for the first team, and between McCracken, Oxborough and Barden we do have 3 talented, if raw, young goalkeepers. Chances are that now Krul is back fully fit we hopefully won't need to rely on our back-up anyway.

The problem there is it would mean only McCracken backing Barden with Oxborough still returning from an injury in te summer

Given the number of keepers we have produced recently, I cannot see them not being up to the standard needed - bar the thought that this is the Championship where there will be up against more physical players than they might be used to, as at set pieces, corners etc

I'm not too sure if covid restrictions would allow Ralf Fartman back either

1 hour ago, Bill said:

The problem there is it would mean only McCracken backing Barden with Oxborough still returning from an injury in te summer

Given the number of keepers we have produced recently, I cannot see them not being up to the standard needed - bar the thought that this is the Championship where there will be up against more physical players than they might be used to, as at set pieces, corners etc

I'm not too sure if covid restrictions would allow Ralf Fartman back either

True, it's certainly far from ideal, but are they really going to be any worse than some 36 year old free agent who has been without a club for months? They may be young, but they're all very highly rated and have represented their countries at youth level, and the chances are that all they'll be doing is sitting on the bench anyway.

Why not go for Fraser Forster, he's been told he's surplus to requestment at Southampton and I'm sure city can out muscle the mighty pub team, Celtic for his signature. Even if its a season long loan. 

16 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Eh? 

So we didn't need cover when it was just McGovern and Barden to choose from?

But we do need cover now it's Krul and Barden? 

Somebody help me out here.... 

That thread was four pages long Hogesar and also had many people saying they would rather use Barden than sign Camp. 

I personally think that we should add one more experienced keeper to the mix for this season, it's Aston Oxborough being out injured which has created this shortage of keepers... He was going into this season as a member of the first team squad. 

If Krul is fit that is still only 1 out of 3 of our first team keepers being available. 

We can't reasonably sign a new free agent everytime our first choice is injured. Not when we have an experienced professional who is perfectly adequate backed by an up and coming youngster. It's just not realistic from a financial point of view. That's the realities of Championship level incomes, if you have a goalkeeper as good as Krul, with a backup as strong as McGovern plus Oxborough and Barden.

That's well stocked, and at some point we will have to accept that if injuries mount up we will be playing young inexperienced players, that's a risk but it's also sport. 

It's also the best incentive for young players to train hard and stay at a club.

• Like 1

It is a tricky role to recruit, and I guess it depends how ‘fit’ Krul is.   I can’t see a player with a big reputation or aspirations to be the first choice is going to come, unless Krul is also out of the picture.  Therefore someone similiar to McGovern, a solid pro in the last few years of their career.

45 minutes ago, 1902 said:

We can't reasonably sign a new free agent everytime our first choice is injured. Not when we have an experienced professional who is perfectly adequate backed by an up and coming youngster. It's just not realistic from a financial point of view. That's the realities of Championship level incomes, if you have a goalkeeper as good as Krul, with a backup as strong as McGovern plus Oxborough and Barden.

That's well stocked, and at some point we will have to accept that if injuries mount up we will be playing young inexperienced players, that's a risk but it's also sport. 

It's also the best incentive for young players to train hard and stay at a club.

Right..... so why has Farke said we're in the market for a keeper then? 

Or are you about to backtrack and u-turn when you realise this? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 hours ago, City fan said:

Why not go for Fraser Forster, he's been told he's surplus to requestment at Southampton and I'm sure city can out muscle the mighty pub team, Celtic for his signature. Even if its a season long loan. 

Does he want to sit on the bench? No?

The pressure on a young keeper to play consistently well at that (potential promotion) level is immense. No other position attracts that sort of pressure. Even if Krul hadn't been injured, I would be very wary of a team at the top of the Championship having a back up keeper of 20 years old (Happy birthday Daniel!)

Rob Elliott former Newcastle keeper is a free agent after being released in the summer, may be one to consider as a number 2 for the rest of the season?

Was number 2 to Krul for six years.

Not much else out there unattached, but could be a loan option out there somewhere... Lee Grant from Man Utd? He's behind De Gea, Henderson and Romero. You'd would think that Grant or Romero would be available as 4 senior keepers is a bit OTT. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

9 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Is Angus available? Loanee at Stoke so must be for sale surely? 

Coat Hat.........

He's injured.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Outfield player can make half a dozen mistakes and not affect the final result 

Keeper makes One and it can cost us 3 points 

We are talking about automatic promotion being at stake should we get unlucky with Krul. £100m plus is the prize. I really don't understand why some are concerned about the cost of another keeper.

If we were mid-table going nowhere then fine, use it as a development opportunity for a youngster, but that's not us. 3 to 4 months is effectively the rest of the season.

29 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Rob Elliott former Newcastle keeper is a free agent after being released in the summer, may be one to consider as a number 2 for the rest of the season?

Was number 2 to Krul for six years.

Rob Elliott is a good call.  I wonder why no one has signed him already?

The thing with any outfield role is that you can fill-in and make-do - such as with Sorensen at left back - but that’s clearly not an option with the keeper.  You really do need to have decent back up if you are wanting to be at the top of the table and for me that means more experience than Barden/Oxborough offer.  Back in the summer there were many that wanted another option even with MM fit. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The thing with any outfield role is that you can fill-in and make-do - such as with Sorensen at left back - but that’s clearly not an option with the keeper.  You really do need to have decent back up if you are wanting to be at the top of the table and for me that means more experience than Barden/Oxborough offer.  Back in the summer there were many that wanted another option even with MM fit. 

Not sure this is what you were suggesting BP, but once Xavi is back, maybe we should give Sorensen a go at keeper, seeing how well he’s done out of position at left back? 😉

Imagine a scenario if Barden makes a mistake that costs us promotion. What would that do to the confidence/future of a 20 year old keeper in the early weeks of his professional career? It could ruin him. 

32 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Rob Elliott is a good call.  I wonder why no one has signed him already?

There's an article saying he was "back in training" for the first time in four months in October, so wonder whether he was injured at the point of being released?

I mean, there's loads of foreign keepers etc available, a 30 year old with a Sweden cap just released last month etc, so I'm sure out scouting department will know what's what.... I'm really just looking at keepers I've heard of, which doesn't extend much outside of those who have played in this country.

Wouldn't surprise me massively if we signed another German? 

52 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Not sure this is what you were suggesting BP, but once Xavi is back, maybe we should give Sorensen a go at keeper, seeing how well he’s done out of position at left back? 😉

He’d probably be no worse than some keepers we’ve had...though fortunately the Theoklitos’s have been far outweighed by the likes of Ruddy et al!

Edited by Branston Pickle

39 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

There's an article saying he was "back in training" for the first time in four months in October, so wonder whether he was injured at the point of being released?

I mean, there's loads of foreign keepers etc available, a 30 year old with a Sweden cap just released last month etc, so I'm sure out scouting department will know what's what.... I'm really just looking at keepers I've heard of, which doesn't extend much outside of those who have played in this country.

Wouldn't surprise me massively if we signed another German? 

It will interesting to see who they get.  I would be surprised if our back up keeper is not 'home grown' - those slots are more valuable.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Right..... so why has Farke said we're in the market for a keeper then? 

Or are you about to backtrack and u-turn when you realise this? 

McGoverns injury is substantially more severe than Kruls and therefore the length of time with only 2 keepers is clearly a lot longer, this is why I certainly don't think we should have signed an extra back up earlier as some are suggesting. 

Also, that was a little unnecessary. I just disagreed with you, that's all. No need to go on about u-turns and backtracking. I'm perfectly able to accept when I'm wrong and, as I often am, have said so plenty of times on this forum.

16 minutes ago, 1902 said:

McGoverns injury is substantially more severe than Kruls and therefore the length of time with only 2 keepers is clearly a lot longer, this is why I certainly don't think we should have signed an extra back up earlier as some are suggesting. 

Also, that was a little unnecessary. I just disagreed with you, that's all. No need to go on about u-turns and backtracking. I'm perfectly able to accept when I'm wrong and, as I often am, have said so plenty of times on this forum.

Personally I feel that we should have signed somebody on a short term deal the moment Krul got injured.

That left us with 1 out of 3 first team keepers fit, and it was an old geezer. 

The other injured keeper being Oxborough of course, who was promoted to the first team. 

19 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

it's Aston Oxborough being out injured which has created this shortage of keepers... He was going into this season as a member of the first team squad.

Oxborough was in the process of finalising a season-long loan to Salford when he did his achilles, so the injury made little or no difference to the Norwich plan for this season (i.e. U23 backup for Krul & MM).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

He’d probably be no worse than some keepers we’ve had...though fortunately the Theoklitos’s have been far outweighed by the likes of Ruddy et al!

Theo please. That's his name now. 😉

Perhaps he has gained an unfair reputation though.

Did you not view Gunn's podcast and especially his comments about this 'keeper.

Gunn bigged him up a lot, and he should know. We rail him for having a bad day in a (new) office.

We desperately need a back-up goalkeeper now that McGovern is effectively finished. We have a promotion campaign to consider and cannot therefore rely upon a rookie, however promising he may be.

Young footballers do burst onto the scene when they are given an unexpected chance, we know that. They are rarely 'keepers though.

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Personally I feel that we should have signed somebody on a short term deal the moment Krul got injured.

That left us with 1 out of 3 first team keepers fit, and it was an old geezer. 

The other injured keeper being Oxborough of course, who was promoted to the first team. 

It's a fair opinion, I'm just not sure football finances being what they are at the moment meant that that would have made sense.

Goalkeepers get injured less often than outfield players, not that you'd know it from our recent experiences.

Relying upon two more than decent exponents was not anticipated to be risky it therefore seems.

How wrong can you be?

What's Lee Camp up to these days?