Sign in to follow this  
OldRobert

Tommy Docherty Dies

For a former professional who retired in 1962 he had a good innings. I best remember him from his time as manager at Old Trafford in the 70's when he came up against City on several occasions.

Born in the Gorbals in Glasgow he was hard as nails and like many of his era would have struggled with modern day players.

RIP

I met Tommy Docherty in the 70’s with my Dad after a Man Utd game at Carrow Road .He was really friendly and larger than life . I’d have been about 9 or 10 , he had a real laugh with my Dad then asked me who my second team was . I think I was probably meant to say Man Utd , but I genuinely had no idea what he meant by having a “second “ team. So I just went red and got tongue tied , eventually blurting out Norwich reserves . Which at least made him laugh . 
Not many managers of a top club would’ve bothered with a Norwich Dad and his young son .

RIP Tommy . 

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

For a former professional who retired in 1962 he had a good innings. I best remember him from his time as manager at Old Trafford in the 70's when he came up against City on several occasions.

Born in the Gorbals in Glasgow he was hard as nails and like many of his era would have struggled with modern day players.

RIP

I think they would have struggled with him, not the other way round.

For some reason he seems to be the first manager I can remember.

Once went to a dinner and Tommy Docherty was the guest speaker. It was a late boozey affair and TD had had more than his fair share. 
When it was his turn to speak , he rose unsteadily to his feet , and mumbled in his broad accent , the old classic about having more clubs than Jack Nicholas . The more he spoke the more  incomprehensible he became . As the room started to squirm slightly , mysteriously the microphone stopped working . Tommy was  politely asked to sit down.  We all applauded .

Rumours circulated that he didn’t get his fee. 

RIP Tommy  . Another great character leaves us. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

He was a querulous, slightly flawed, self-destructive, defiant, irascible, fiery, unpredictable, and impulsive risk-taker

...but I would have happily walked over broken glass just to hear him speak. One of the originals. What a career. Truly a Special One.

Does anyone else remember The Doc's Sunday afternoon early-Talksport chat show with the old West Ham United stadium announcer, Jeremy something, whose name escapes me. It was top class.