Crabbycanary3

***Not official *** January transfer window thread

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

How can you say Sorensen will be good enough?     You've never seen him play central midfield let alone play against a Premier League opponent / team.  We've no idea if he can receive and keep the ball under pressure, what his anticipation is like in the central positions, his passing quality from there under a much more intense press, his energy etc....  Last season our defence had no cover out of possession and no one to pass too in possession.... none of the CDM options could find enough space and weren't confident enough on the ball for us to pass through the press consistently....   McLean, Tettey, Vrancic, Trybull, Leitner, Amadou, all had a go, were all awful and in the end we had McLean and Tettey as the only two we could barely trust during the 11 game losing streak.   They are not EPL back up players.    .... and we can't gamble that Skipp will come back.... we certainly couldn't afford to buy him.   We need to sort this position out and this month is an opportunity to start to do something about it. 

If I'm Max or Emi and we go up with that as our back up midfield... not a chance I am risking another season in a relegation fight when there is the chance to fight for a Premier League and Champions League.    Further, wonder if Daniel will be reluctant to do it all again (risk his reputation) without significant reinforcements to make us competitive.  Lets be sensible, sentiment only extends so far, he's going to get offers!  

Feed The Wolf never said categorically that Sorensen will be good enough.

I can read that, and he clearly states that he *thinks* he will be good enough.

Which is a big difference. He’s speaking opinion, not fact.

I think most people who have seen Sorensen in his first season here so far will be feeling cautiously optimistic that he has every chance of being a very decent CDM based on what we’ve seen so far. 

• Like 2

I'm glad if reports are true that we will only listen to offers for Buendia if the starting point is £40m. I recall the late summer when the state of Emi's mind was being discussed on here (and with Todd) and DF talking about pressures younger players have at times. I just hope now he has his mind set firmly on being with us in the EPL. His most recent social media tweet recorded 8000 comments and the big majority from bl**dy Arsenal fans. Hope is stays true to us but I guess one of 'the big 6' coming for you could be tempting. And as DF has said every player of course has a price (if "unbelievable").

I’d be happy with Willock and 40 million, that’s a great deal. Buendia deserves his chance at a big club with better players and we’d get a very good young player with cash in the bank for bigger scampi portions and free vino flowing at boardroom level! Win win!😉🍤🍷

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

How can you say Sorensen will be good enough?     You've never seen him play central midfield let alone play against a Premier League opponent / team.  We've no idea if he can receive and keep the ball under pressure, what his anticipation is like in the central positions, his passing quality from there under a much more intense press, his energy etc....  Last season our defence had no cover out of possession and no one to pass too in possession.... none of the CDM options could find enough space and weren't confident enough on the ball for us to pass through the press consistently....   McLean, Tettey, Vrancic, Trybull, Leitner, Amadou, all had a go, were all awful and in the end we had McLean and Tettey as the only two we could barely trust during the 11 game losing streak.   They are not EPL back up players.    .... and we can't gamble that Skipp will come back.... we certainly couldn't afford to buy him.   We need to sort this position out and this month is an opportunity to start to do something about it. 

If I'm Max or Emi and we go up with that as our back up midfield... not a chance I am risking another season in a relegation fight when there is the chance to fight for a Premier League and Champions League.    Further, wonder if Daniel will be reluctant to do it all again (risk his reputation) without significant reinforcements to make us competitive.  Lets be sensible, sentiment only extends so far, he's going to get offers!  

I can say Sorensen will be good enough because I believe he will be. I don't know any more than you do, it's just my instinct that we've signed a winner.

McLean is absolutely good enough to be a backup player in the EPL in my opinion. I did say in my previous post, though, that this midfield configuration was the absolute minimum we'd need, remember. To sign a central midfielder who is better than what we have and good enough to start in the EPL would surely cost us £10m or more? Are you seriously advocating that kind of outlay at this juncture? June is the time for that, not now.

Edited by Feedthewolf

16 minutes ago, Indy said:

I’d be happy with Willock and 40 million, that’s a great deal. Buendia deserves his chance at a big club with better players and we’d get a very good young player with cash in the bank for bigger scampi portions and free vino flowing at boardroom level! Win win!😉🍤🍷

And I would too as would I consider Nelson and £40m (if I was the club). Not that I would want it but if I had a player pushing to leave and this was the deal, then you'd have to seriously consider it ... As well as maintain the way we recruit and develop.

Edit: But I can't see this scenario happening btw. 

Edited by sonyc

I'm with the Wolf. As things stand, we'd have Siti, Sorenson, Rupp and McLean as our contracted midfielders for next season. Rupp is 30 later this month. McLean is 29 in three days. IMHO we need to have a look for a midfielder around 25/26 who can perhaps improve upon the experienced players we have or at least offer competition.

If we are successful in promotion then technically we have more or less two experienced players in every position bar GK.

GK: Krull, Oxborough and youngsters.
LB: McCallum, Quintilla (if signed)
CB: Hanley, Gibson, Zimmermann, Famewo and also Bushiri (who is 21).
RB: Aarons, Byram, Mumba.
CM: Rupp, McLean, Sorenson, Sitti.
Wide midfielders: Hernandez, Placheta, Buendia, Cantwell, Martin. 
AM: Stiepermann, Dowell, Sinani.
Str: Pukki, Hugill, Idah, Soto (if work permit is gained).

Players out of contract in the summer: McGovern, Vrancic, Tettey. 

My honest critique at this point would be we need a capable understudy/challenger for Krul who will be 33 in April. Although keepers can keep going well into their 30's, with the injuries he has had, he may not be one of those. I'm also not convinced that Hugill can provide the number of goals should Pukki struggle again. And I feel Idah could do with a good loan to get used to being a regular scorer. Soto might sway with Idah and be the youngster pushing the others. But that worries me a fair bit.

CM I am not overly convinced about. None of those players are what I would see as a DM in the same ilk as Tettey. Sometimes you need that Makelele type who's primary aim is to win the ball back and turn it over. Like old Three Lungs. 

The rest all depends upon who we lose. I think for this transfer window, keeping everyone is the most important thing along with a goalkeeper if possible. Unless there is another bargain like Pukki or Tettey then I wouldn't try and bring in an option for the sake of it when promotion could open up options in the summer that we don't have now.

I've heard from my pal in Manchester that we're in for Jesse Lingard on loan, paying 40% of his wages.

Just kidding.

45 minutes ago, Indy said:

More flights to away games too at senior level. 

32 minutes ago, Orly said:

I've heard from my pal in Manchester that we're in for Jesse Lingard on loan, paying 40% of his wages.

Just kidding.

Now there's a player who hasn't fulfilled his early promise.

I wonder what Joe Willock thinks about it? It was only in 2019 he signed a long term contract and has been with Arsenal since he was four and a half. 1 goal in 39 EPL appearances.

I simply can't see Webber accepting any cash + player deal. I assume he already has targets in mind for replacing Emi and I very much doubt that Willock is one of them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Why do people keep saying this?  Quintilla is fit again now - Mumba should be fit in a couple of weeks and maybe even Byram will be fit in a few weeks - and Sorensen has proven that he can do the job perfectly well in this division in the meantime. 

For me it is because Sorensen, Mumba, Byram, and Aarons are all right footed.  The balance of the team is better with a left footed left back.  If we go up we need to be the best version our team we can be, and with a squad with genuine replacements within it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

What about Jamal Lewis?

Parma 

Yes - that thought had crossed my mind too.

If we were really thinking of buying somebody I hear that Harry Toffolo is doing well at Huddersfield. 

50 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

For me it is because Sorensen, Mumba, Byram, and Aarons are all right footed.  The balance of the team is better with a left footed left back.  If we go up we need to be the best version our team we can be, and with a squad with genuine replacements within it.

I think we're talking about different things Newtopia. I was questioning if it was really necessary to get in another left back for the remainder of this season - totally different scenario if we were to get promoted I grant you. 

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

NCFC - £20,000 per week

Arsenal- £80,000 per week

What would you do ?

In my case the answer genuinely is that I would play for Norwich. 🙂 

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

NCFC - £20,000 per week

Arsenal- £80,000 per week

What would you do ?

NCFC but I would not play for anybody else...

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

NCFC but I would not play for anybody else...

Is that the truth? 

That's £1m a year v £4m a year deal..

Over a 3 year deal that's a difference of £9m. 

I would agree £20k a week, is a winning lotto ticket each week. But really, you want to be the best you can be and some talents have to be put on a better stage, and in turn you enjoy the rewards.. 

Michael Bailey seems convinced that unless we get a ridiculous offer for Emi he’ll be staying. Farke and Webber aren’t stupid, quite the opposite. We may be a self-funded club, but they’ll know that selling Buendia will not only anger fans (and almost certainly players and staff too), it would probably derail our whole season. What’s £40m for Emi if we are in reach of £170m through promotion?

If it was down to me, I wouldn’t even pick up the phone. Obviously everyone has their price, but selling in January with the position we are in in the league just has no positives for me, regardless of the transfer fee. 

On Michael Bailey; he did an interview with our chief scout a couple of weeks ago, who said that we’ll be trying to sign a left-back in this window. That’s probably though the only area of the squad we look a little short.

3 hours ago, Pukki Blinders said:

Michael Bailey seems convinced that unless we get a ridiculous offer for Emi he’ll be staying. Farke and Webber aren’t stupid, quite the opposite. We may be a self-funded club, but they’ll know that selling Buendia will not only anger fans (and almost certainly players and staff too), it would probably derail our whole season. What’s £40m for Emi if we are in reach of £170m through promotion?

If it was down to me, I wouldn’t even pick up the phone. Obviously everyone has their price, but selling in January with the position we are in in the league just has no positives for me, regardless of the transfer fee. 

On Michael Bailey; he did an interview with our chief scout a couple of weeks ago, who said that we’ll be trying to sign a left-back in this window. That’s probably though the only area of the squad we look a little short.

I'm sure this is right. Webber, Farke and co are too switched on not to have calculated the risk of derailing our season by losing Emi. And it was good to hear Emi's eminently sensible comments on the speculation which suggest he is happy enough to stay (at least for the rest of this season).

• Like 1

On 30/12/2020 at 21:05, NeymarSmith said:

Get that QPR player chair. He may not cost the earth in January, where as I'd assume he will go for more come summer.

Isn't it usually the opposite, fees are inflated in January?

5 hours ago, Pukki Blinders said:

Yeah I'm relatively confident we keep Emi at this point just because I don't think he full on forces in through, nor that Arsenal are so invested in signing him that they'd keep pushing. 

Its going to be a long month though- Arsenal are a big team and generate lots of clicks for websites so I've no doubt speculation will be intense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Isn't it usually the opposite, fees are inflated in January?

Yeah, January is usually a sellers market.

On 31/12/2020 at 10:20, Il Pirata said:

Karlan Grant - Only one goal in 12 since joining WBA. Doubtful, but a loan move until the end of season could work.

Eh? He is their first choice striker, only didn't play the last game due to injury..... which is a broken foot, which will put him out for 6 weeks. 

On 31/12/2020 at 15:26, sgncfc said:

This is a messageboard and it's all about opinions. Godfrey played for us as a centre back. In my opinion he is a fine footballer but wasn't particularly good at being a centre back and Gibson is better at that. Godfrey plays for Everton as a left back (so far). Their supporters haven't seen him as a centre back yet. Godfrey is in the same position for Everton as Sorensen is for us - being played out of position and rightly being praised for his efforts there. But he isn't a left back as Sorensen isn't a left back.

We don't know if Sorensen is any good in his preferred position yet. Everton fans don't know if Godfrey is either.

Have we missed Godfrey? No. Have we missed Lewis? Yes.

As for Emi, if he has already agreed a deal and a fee has been agreed he'll be gone before Saturday. If he's still here then, it's all rubbish. I still think he's too inconsistent for Arsenal to shell out the fee we would want. Same for Aarons, who is being toutde as being a replacement for a £50m player. I think the possibility exists that we will sell and do a loan back for both, but again I don't think the right numbers will be in play for us to be persuaded.

Their fans are actually saying that they want to see Godfrey as a box-to-box midfielder, which is where he started before Farke decided he was a centre back! 

5 hours ago, Pukki Blinders said:

Assuming that's the end of Xavi then? 

Farke also said we were in the market for a keeper though didn't he?

So that's 2 players already.