Crabbycanary3

***Not official *** January transfer window thread

6 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Lets be honest this is us just unsettling the player ... offer from a team known to promote and develop young players, potentially heading to the premier league.

We're doing the same thing that we hate other teams doing to us... making our interest public to unsettle the player and get his agent pushing the club.. We'll be victims of this on the likes of Cantwell in the summer.

Quite possibly but it's a damn sight easier to keep hold of your players trying to get moves to the top flight if you're in the top flight yourself! It'll be if we don't stay up (again) where we have issues holding on to players!

It is what it is - we are entitled to look at/bid for players and others will be doing the same to us. It’s difficult to know the value of such youngsters who have only just broken into the first team at a lower level.  IMO, as he has just broken through he might be better staying there as it’s clearly working for him - though a sale/loan back could easily be arranged.

Clarke’s agent is Integral Sports Management, whose head of football operations is former Posh player Mark Arber, whose father, Bobby works for City as a scout. 

Mmmm, we might well be getting him at some point 🙂 

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Pink Un says £300K initial bid but we then increased it to £700K plus add ins. Which Peterborough still think is “derisory”.

I only read about the first bid 

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Looking at him I'm not surprised Peterborough told us to do one.

18 years old, breaking into the first team and looks like a real talent, they won't sell cheap. 

Can’t blame them, but he hasn’t proved anything yet, their chairman is an astute business man 

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Can't help thinking we've misjudged this situation. Peterborough have a long history of getting top prices for their players. This is now out in the open for all to see and other clubs will look at our recent record of buying in young talent and back our judgement with a higher bid. 

That was always going to happen and we have absolutely no control over it. Of course Peterborough are going to leak it to their local rag - they want to start an auction for him. 

2 hours ago, rock bus said:

Lets be honest this is us just unsettling the player ... offer from a team known to promote and develop young players, potentially heading to the premier league.

We're doing the same thing that we hate other teams doing to us... making our interest public to unsettle the player and get his agent pushing the club.. We'll be victims of this on the likes of Cantwell in the summer.

You absolutely haven't got a clue have you?  There is absolutely no benefit to us in making our interest public. That's been done by Peterborough - of course they would, they're trying to start an auction for him. 

20 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You absolutely haven't got a clue have you?  There is absolutely no benefit to us in making our interest public. That's been done by Peterborough - of course they would, they're trying to start an auction for him. 

Their owner also has a huge ego and loves nothing better than making everything public as he has a podcast.

On 26/01/2021 at 15:27, Darth Vadis said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-tottenham-and-leicester-city-monitoring-norwich-city-midfielder/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Cantwell reportedly being monitored now ahead of the summer window.

As much as I like Cantwell, as he is clearly a quality player, I would accept circa £22m if its offered.

With only a year left on his contract we run the risk of him leaving for much less next January or for free the following summer. That is if he doesn't sign a new contract of course.

What do we think "monitoring" means? Could just be that he appears on the scouting software that everyone uses or he's on a list of 50 players. It's just noise.

8 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

What do we think "monitoring" means? Could just be that he appears on the scouting software that everyone uses or he's on a list of 50 players. It's just noise.

Exactly. Scouting departments at all clubs 'monitor' players all the time. It's literally what they are in existence to do. 

It seems that Regan Riley looks more likely than Clarke at the moment. Don't know much about Riley but have seen footage of Clarke and, of course, that great goal he scored against Cambridge. Looks a good player. But I think we would be signing these types of players for the U23 initially and 700k is already quite a lot in that case. The amount Peterborough will want for him will be silly and best avoided at the moment. 

On a side note... Can't remember having much luck, when interest was reported, in signing players from Peterborough since... Drury?!

50 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Seeing as he isn’t on pro terms & we’re a Category Three academy, £250,000 (hopefully with some tidy clauses) doesn’t seem like the end of the world. But, it’s a shame to see another promising youngster leave so early in the his career.

We wish Regan the best of luck with the move - hopefully he can follow in the footsteps of many of Norwich’s youngsters in recent years and go on to have a great career.

What a nice and classy sign-off from the website

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

It seems that Regan Riley looks more likely than Clarke at the moment. Don't know much about Riley but have seen footage of Clarke and, of course, that great goal he scored against Cambridge. Looks a good player. But I think we would be signing these types of players for the U23 initially and 700k is already quite a lot in that case. The amount Peterborough will want for him will be silly and best avoided at the moment. 

On a side note... Can't remember having much luck, when interest was reported, in signing players from Peterborough since... Drury?!

Russell Martin? Other than that, I'm not sure we've been in for too many players from there, ever.

Edited by Crabbycanary3

3 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Russell Martin? Other than that, I'm not sure we've been in for too many players from there, ever.

Leon McKenzie came from them didn't he? There was also our long winded pursuit of Craig Mackail-Smith which didn't end well.

• Like 1

Ryan Bennett helicoptered in..

Edited by kirku
  • Like 1

Oh god seems like there were a few I had forgotten! Yep... Martin was the obvious one! The CMS saga was what I had in mind. Seemed that was done and dusted at one point. Would have liked to have tried to sign Toney too!

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Not that only one thinking that 😉

Ermm, best you not go down that road CC 🙂 Certain people will shout Pot and Kettle😆

6 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Watford have just signed keeper Rob Elliot on a free for the rest of the season....I'd have felt a little more comfortable had we have done that??

Why Barden looked well capable of standing in? McGovern did ok too!

15 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Watford have just signed keeper Rob Elliot on a free for the rest of the season....I'd have felt a little more comfortable had we have done that??

How do we know we didn't try? Ben Foster is out injured at the minute for Watford, so they could probably have offered him a good shot at game time. Compare that to us, where Krul is now back and will be first choice.

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

Why Barden looked well capable of standing in? McGovern did ok too!

McGovern's out for another 2 months at least. As well as Barden has done, if anything happened to Krul long term I'm not sute I'd be comfortable with just a youngster for around half a season...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

McGovern's out for another 2 months at least. As well as Barden has done, if anything happened to Krul long term I'm not sute I'd be comfortable with just a youngster for around half a season...

Yes, but to sign an ageing keeper who has only played about 50 odd games in the past ten years leads me to believe in Barden more. I’m not saying a decent keeper wouldn’t go a miss just not sure Elliot is that.

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes, but to sign an ageing keeper who has only played about 50 odd games in the past ten years leads me to believe in Barden more. I’m not saying a decent keeper wouldn’t go a miss just not sure Elliot is that.

...compared to Nyland he's Neville Southall...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...compared to Nyland he's Neville Southall...

Neville Southall, now there was a superb keeper!

• Like 2