Crabbycanary3

***Not official *** January transfer window thread

50 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I agree on that point, KC - let’s face it, given Quintilla is now out with Covid, the Greek lad will almost certainly get the nod and as long as he performs then Farke won’t drop him. Sorensen will probably start playing alongside Skipp more before long following his excellent displays covering at LB. But if the Greek signing gets injured or suspended then Xavi will come back in and the new(er) boy will then have to wait his turn, that’s how it works of course. Swings and roundabouts. 

Btw, from just seeing a couple more posts of yours regarding Xavi, I have more than a sneaking suspicion that it’s actually yourself that doesn’t rate him, rather than Farke and Webber etc. Which would of course completely explain why you would want to believe that they don’t either 😉

You'll have to point these posts out to me I'm honestly not sure what you mean.

2 hours ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

I like the move for Giannoulis a lot on paper. Effectively selling Jamal Lewis to get Gibson + Giannoulis would seem to be excellent business!

Im just worried that they are only loans, I’d we don’t go up, we will lose both 

9 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Im just worried that they are only loans, I’d we don’t go up, we will lose both 

If we don't go up we won't be able to afford them anyway. If we're in the Championship next season we've already got McCallum lined up for left back and Famewo for central defence. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Are they? I think most of our signings have been surprisingly un "physically imposing" so far. Yes Placheta is fast and Hugill is a lump and I suppose Sorensen can hack it physically but I still feel we will need to add considerable athleticism to the side if we go up. Xavi for example is not physically imposing at all. 

Gibson, Sorenson and Hugill are big lads, Dowell reasonably tall for a #10. Skipp despite being average height and build has real bite and tenacity (along with a tidy bit of acceleration when he carries the ball forward) and Placheta's pace is the worst kept secret we have.

I don't mean to say that we went out and purely shopped for athletes, but to me it certainly feels like 'technical prowess' was dialed back a bit in favour of a bit more physicality - coincidentally what I believe largely contributes to the fact we haven't blown sides away when we're 'on it' this time around, but we get ahead and stay ahead. Swapping a Skipp for a Vrancic for example- though OS is by no means a clogger, he doesn't have that match winning technique Mario does but you know we aren't going to be overrun in centre midfield.

Xavi has ended up being a good attacking asset, but average defensively and physically a bit infirm- hence taking the leap on the Giannoulis 

• Like 2

Where has the idea that Xavi's obligation to buy is based on appearances by the way? Looking around I can't see anything that suggests that, only that if we get promoted we're obliged to sign him for £2.7m.

I mean it makes a lot of sense as a deal, but I'm just curious because I haven't seen that said anywhere.

8 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Gibson, Sorenson and Hugill are big lads, Dowell reasonably tall for a #10. Skipp despite being average height and build has real bite and tenacity (along with a tidy bit of acceleration when he carries the ball forward) and Placheta's pace is the worst kept secret we have.

I don't mean to say that we went out and purely shopped for athletes, but to me it certainly feels like 'technical prowess' was dialed back a bit in favour of a bit more physicality - coincidentally what I believe largely contributes to the fact we haven't blown sides away when we're 'on it' this time around, but we get ahead and stay ahead. Swapping a Skipp for a Vrancic for example- though OS is by no means a clogger, he doesn't have that match winning technique Mario does but you know we aren't going to be overrun in centre midfield.

Xavi has ended up being a good attacking asset, but average defensively and physically a bit infirm- hence taking the leap on the Giannoulis 

Pragmatism, learning lessons, building for the future.  All good!  

2 hours ago, king canary said:

You'll have to point these posts out to me I'm honestly not sure what you mean.

It was just a sneaking feeling I had that’s all, KC, but of course my assumptions can be wrong, and if that is the case, then I certainly apologise 👍

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

If we don't go up we won't be able to afford them anyway. If we're in the Championship next season we've already got McCallum lined up for left back and Famewo for central defence. 

I understand that, just dissapointed that we have replaced our two high profile sales with loans and should that not pay off, youth.I get the model and know why it’s being done and have every faith in Webber. Just annoys me from time to time.

4 hours ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

I like the move for Giannoulis a lot on paper. Effectively selling Jamal Lewis to get Gibson + Giannoulis would seem to be excellent business!

Fantastic business I would say.

Gibson is looking very, very good. Reads the game well and is a leader. Clearly our number 1 centre half.

Giannoulis looks astute, strong, intelligent and creative. Again his game looks assured. I think if settled we could see a very strong player on our books.

With the caveat that I know next to nothing about Greek football ... a comparison between Giannoulis and the young LB Liverpool signed in the summer:

Kostas Tsimikas: 24, 5'10", 27 apps in 2019-2020 in the Greek Super League, 6 national team apps, £11.75 million

Dimitris Giannoulis: 25, 5'10", 34 apps in 2019-2020 in the Greek Super League, 11 national team apps, £6.2 million

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I have no basis for this whatsoever - perhaps it’s the video? - but I have a really good feeling about Giannoulis .... !

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I have no basis for this whatsoever - perhaps it’s the video? - but I have a really good feeling about Giannoulis .... !

I remember being a bit giddy about the Amadou signing last year. As always, the proof will be in the pudding. On paper, it looks a tidy signing. And probably the level of player we'll realistically be fishing around for in a few months if we do finish in the top two, (the 2-8m bracket?), which is no guarantee yet. Only halfway through the season.

One PAOK supporter I’ve seen has said unluckily for them, Norwich are signing an elite level LB and in a years time it’ll be hard for us to keep hold of him too. Must admit, the highlights reel is very impressive, there’s clearly great ability there even if they’ve condensed some of the best bits together.

Whats particularly amusing is this lad is keeping Liverpool’s new Greek LB (Tsimikis?) out of the Greek national team. And trust me, I can’t wait to tell Liverpool fans that either

14 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Whats particularly amusing is this lad is keeping Liverpool’s new Greek LB (Tsimikis?) out of the Greek national team. And trust me, I can’t wait to tell Liverpool fans that either

Marginal gains😉 Marginal gains 😂.  That bit of news has made my day thanks Alexo, I'm off to tease a couple of 'pool supporters' I know on WhatsApp . 

Did anyone call this before  it happened?, if not even more kudos to the recruitment  team.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

As always, the proof will be in the pudding

I always thought 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating '  ,Paddyo. Give me a minute...

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+proof+is+in+the+pudding&oq=the+proof&aqs=chrome.0.0i457j69i57j0l2j46.11797j1j7&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Edited by wcorkcanary

I can't decide if it's everyone else projecting that they think this greek lad is amazing because that's what they want him to be or I'm the miserable bloke who thinks he looks just OK. The highlight reel is just that, everything looks decent but I genuinely can't see how anyone can surmise that he is a step up on Quintila, good business replacing Lewis or even Andy Robertson mk2 (!). He may turn out to be brilliant but let's not go over the top and be disappointed when he turns out to be just good?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Marginal gains😉 Marginal gains 😂.  That big of news gas made my day thanks Alexo, I'm off to tease a couple of 'pool supporters' I know on WhatsApp . 

Did anyone call this before  it happened?, if not even more kudos to the recruitment  team.

I actually love that our signings these days nearly always come out of absolutely nowhere, Corkio - and 9/10 I’ve at least never heard of them before, which really keeps things fresh and interesting rather the usual predictable journeymen that we’ve often been subjected to in the past (though Holty was a bloody GOOD one!). Have never enjoyed following our clubs fortunes more than I have now, and will be absolutely gutted when Farke and Webber finally eave - I don’t think many of us truly appreciate how good we’ve actually got it, which was especially my feeling when I was completely dismayed at how many were so quick to jump on the ‘Farke out’ wagon at the start of the season. Thank god that never came to pass! Ignore the noise said Webber, and thankfully, that he did!

Have fun on WhatsApp, make sure they know if they put the same offer in for Jamal with Mike Ashley then might just have a chance this time!😜

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I actually love that our signings these days nearly always come out of absolutely nowhere, Corkio - and 9/10 I’ve at least never heard of them before, which really keeps things fresh and interesting rather the usual predictable journeymen that we’ve often been subjected to in the past (though Holty was a bloody GOOD one!). Have never enjoyed following our clubs fortunes more than I have now, and will be absolutely gutted when Farke and Webber finally eave - I don’t think many of us truly appreciate how good we’ve actually got it, which was especially my feeling when I was completely dismayed at how many were so quick to jump on the ‘Farke out’ wagon at the start of the season. Thank god that never came to pass! Ignore the noise said Webber, and thankfully, that he did!

Fully, wholeheartedly and entirely agree. I love Farke and I think Webber is excellent (and think Farke is excellent too). I would love them both to stay for many years.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Have fun on WhatsApp, make sure they know if they put the same offer in for Jamal with Mike Ashley then might just have a chance this time!😜

Well, one didn't reply but the other one reckoned they now pay  'man utd tax' .... being champions n all. What a claim to fame " We are now proud to overpay for players" 😇😂

Reports this morning that Arsenal and Ozil have agreed a deal to allow him to finally move on. So if that’s the case, and they’re serious about Emi, then I’d imagine they’ll start ramping up their interest in the coming days.

6 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Reports this morning that Arsenal and Ozil have agreed a deal to allow him to finally move on. So if that’s the case, and they’re serious about Emi, then I’d imagine they’ll start ramping up their interest in the coming days.

They are having to pay off some of his wages so he can leave for free I believe. Rumours are he is on £300k+ per week. I'm not sure that Ozil going paves the way for anyone going to Arsenal just yet.

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Still got to pay him £8m from his contract. I don’t think they are going to be too flimsy with cash.

Edited by Dr Greenthumb

21 hours ago, All the Germans said:

I can't decide if it's everyone else projecting that they think this greek lad is amazing because that's what they want him to be or I'm the miserable bloke who thinks he looks just OK. The highlight reel is just that, everything looks decent but I genuinely can't see how anyone can surmise that he is a step up on Quintila, good business replacing Lewis or even Andy Robertson mk2 (!). He may turn out to be brilliant but let's not go over the top and be disappointed when he turns out to be just good?

Anyone can look good on a YouTube video of a players best bits, bet I could make a montage of my talent, might take me 20 yrs to get enough and a weight loss of a couple of stone but I'm sure I could.

I just trust the scouts who will watch an awful lot more than a few mins on YouTube so if they think he's what we need them I trust their judgement.

3 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Anyone can look good on a YouTube video of a players best bits, bet I could make a montage of my talent, might take me 20 yrs to get enough and a weight loss of a couple of stone but I'm sure I could.

I just trust the scouts who will watch an awful lot more than a few mins on YouTube so if they think he's what we need them I trust their judgement.

Anyone else want to see this YouTube video of Rich T now? 😂