Crabbycanary3

***Not official *** January transfer window thread

Most Arsenal fan have been speculating and making up stuff about Buendia for months. Their form is starting to improve, plus I doubt Arsenal have the funds to complete a Buendia transaction at present. I would ignore any twitter chat unless its from someone recognised. 

Edited by jaberry2

Football Insider website has just exclusively revealed that absolutely nothing has happened in the Buendia to Arsenal move. I repeat, the most up to date news is that nothing, that's nothing, has happened.

Phew! It's all kicking off....!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, pete said:

We do not take on injured players, my mistake there.  Seems ideal profile for Cuty recruit.

Worked fine with Tim Krul didn't it?

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Exactly. I get we might be suffering with income due to the lack of gates and all, but given we were not in debt prior to selling both Lewis and Godfrey how in the hell would we be in debt now?

Please, please come back and live on Planet Earth.

We lost £33 million  in season 2018/19. We made a profit of £2 million in season 2019/20. That means that over the last two seasons we made a net loss of £31 million!  Those are the actual facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

To say that we weren't in debt before selling Lewis and Godfrey is la la land nonsense. 

16 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

We lost £33 million  in season 2018/19. We made a profit of £2 million in season 2019/20. That means that over the last two seasons we made a net loss of £31 million!  Those are the actual facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

To say that we weren't in debt before selling Lewis and Godfrey is la la land nonsense. 

Do you know of the 2019/20 accounts include paying back any of that money? If so it would be distorting those numbers.

• Like 1

Gianoullis looks good in the video. A step up from Quintilla.

The issue with MaCallum is that he wasn't deemed good enough to start our Championship campaign, let alone play in the Premier League.

58 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

As far as I can see from analysis of our accounts we had a debt of about £14m, which those sales will have more than covered. 

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

As far as I can see from analysis of our accounts we had a debt of about £14m, which those sales will have more than covered. 

I've no idea where you get that figure but I'm afraid it's very far from the truth. The accounts to July 2020 showed a trading profit of around £2m. However we have a short term loan of £10m, player liabilities of £7m and tax liabilities of £29m to pay before the end of June 2021. We had £43m in the bank but that will be swallowed up by those three debts and more besides. 

We will end up losing £30m over 2 seasons due to Covid and we spent between £5m and £10m on acquisitions in the summer. That means the Lewis and Godfrey money is gone already. We may have a small amount to spend this January but not much. 

If you point me in the direction of the £14m figure in the accounts I'll tell you what it is 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

This adds fuel to the fire that the club aren't that keen on Xavi in my opinion- if this has legs he won't be coming in to play backup.

Doesn’t mean that the club aren’t keen on Xavi, KC - in fact, Kieran Scott has very recently stated that they were very impressed with his performances before getting injured. That’s direct from the horses mouth.

Suggests to me that the concern with Xavi is therefore purely whether they feel they can rely on his body to stay consistently fit for this season and beyond. Or, just as possible, it could be nothing to do with Xavi, and mean that they’re not fully convinced now that Sam Byram will be able to maintain fitness (which would be a massive shame as I think he’s class personally).

As I’m sure you’d agree, we will need 2 decent LB options should we be promoted.

If this greek LB transer rumour is true, based on figures and the loan to buy option, with him and Gibson would be made permanent come the summer if we are to get promoted. Thus means an outlay of circa 14/15m on transfer fees for them both. This is of course based on speculation of the greek LB coming on board.

Didnt Arsenal just have to take a £120 million loan out, you'd think they wouldnt be splashing out right now. 

7 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

If this greek LB transer rumour is true, based on figures and the loan to buy option, with him and Gibson would be made permanent come the summer if we are to get promoted. Thus means an outlay of circa 14/15m on transfer fees for them both. This is of course based on speculation of the greek LB coming on board.

Interesting that he has a 10mill-€ buy out clause, yet we’ve reportedly already been told we can have 25% off.

Never heard of the guy myself, but I have a completely good feeling about him as player based on absolutely diddly squat!

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Interesting that he has a 10mill-€ buy out clause, yet we’ve reportedly already been told we can have 25% off.

Never heard of the guy myself, but I have a completely good feeling about him as player based on absolutely diddly squat!

The standard youtube highlights will no doubt be circulated shortly for everyone to look at. He's a greek international so must have some pedigree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Gianoullis looks good in the video. A step up from Quintilla.

"Theoklitos"...........just cant get it outa my head

The Greek fellow looks promising! Definitely of a lower PL standard based on his CV and still only 25.

Farke must not be totally convinced of Quintilla and, with the injury spell, we now have the option of not hitting the required appearances clause so we don't have to sign him.

25 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The Kylie version is better

This was always a favourite!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Ian said:

Wtf is a bureaufax? Does "ITK" Ibz mean burofax? If so, wonder why Arsenal are submitting a bid to Norwich via a Spanish registered letter service?

I thought the exact same thing!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Haus said:

Didnt Arsenal just have to take a £120 million loan out, you'd think they wouldnt be splashing out right now. 

Maybe they're trying to pay for Partey who cost around 45m and has played about two matches!

52 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Maybe they're trying to pay for Partey who cost around 45m and has played about two matches!

No Partey, No Party! 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, king canary said:

This adds fuel to the fire that the club aren't that keen on Xavi in my opinion- if this has legs he won't be coming in to play backup.

Not just your opinion. Something has seemed not quite right there, for whatever reason.

6 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Doesn’t mean that the club aren’t keen on Xavi, KC - in fact, Kieran Scott has very recently stated that they were very impressed with his performances before getting injured. That’s direct from the horses mouth.

Suggests to me that the concern with Xavi is therefore purely whether they feel they can rely on his body to stay consistently fit for this season and beyond. Or, just as possible, it could be nothing to do with Xavi, and mean that they’re not fully convinced now that Sam Byram will be able to maintain fitness (which would be a massive shame as I think he’s class personally).

As I’m sure you’d agree, we will need 2 decent LB options should we be promoted.

Firstly, that Kiran Scott quote is pretty meaningless- he's hardly going to give an interview saying our current first choice left back isnt up to it is he?

Secondly, yes I agree we need two left back options. But I sincerely doubt Xavi was signed to be a backup which is the best he'll likely be if this signing comes off.

To me a signing like this would suggest the chances of us wanting Xavi permanently would be minimal.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Firstly, that Kiran Scott quote is pretty meaningless- he's hardly going to give an interview saying our current first choice left back isnt up to it is he?

Secondly, yes I agree we need two left back options. But I sincerely doubt Xavi was signed to be a backup which is the best he'll likely be if this signing comes off.

To me a signing like this would suggest the chances of us wanting Xavi permanently would be minimal.

I know it doesn’t fit in with your particular hunch,  KC, but I’m offering actual horses mouth thoughts on the Xavi situation from one of the staff, rather than either yours or mine respective opinions as fans making guesses or assumptions. I’m not sure you can just brush Kieran Scott’s comments off as ‘meaningless‘ just because they don’t fit in with your agenda on the discussion - as much as anything, that would imply KS was not being honest. No one held a gun to his head, and he didn’t talk about all of the signings we made last window either. He chose to come out with what he did. If they thought Xavi wasn’t up to scratch, then the obvious thing for him was to say nothing at all, rather than pretend anything otherwise - I think the usual company line is usually ‘Sadly it didn’t work out for him here’ which I think loosely translates as ‘He was about as much use as a sponge canoe’.

‘Barring his injuries, I think we’d have had the best left-back in the Championship. His body has just struggled with the intensity, which you never know until they get here’. 

We will need at least one new LB as I think we all agree. It is quite possible that there are big doubts over whether either, or both, Xavi and Sam can maintain long term fitness. We could see 2 new LB’s join in the summer at this rate, as we’ve not had the best of luck there unfortunately from an injury perspective at least anyway.

I will also add that if they didn’t rate Xavi (after he received plenty of plaudits for his performances prior to injury no less), then with the mystery injury he had, they really did have a great excuse to send him back to Spain and work on bringing in a new replacement LB on Jan 1st. They didn’t do that.

• Like 2

Xavi fits better into a side with a target man. His defending is suspect at times and everything he goes forward he is too keen to get the ball crossed into the area. Pukki hardly thrives off that sort of service and indeed Xaxi only has one assist to his name this season. In terms of defending I'd take Sorensen over Xavi, he's never let us down. If this is a goer then Xaxi back to Spain, cutting short the loan?

Fairly detailed piece on Orjan Nyland this morning in the Pink’un from Connor Southwell, which I think speaks volumes. Are the other transfer rumours getting such column inches from Archant? Kind of suggests to me they might just know something...