Crabbycanary3

***Not official *** January transfer window thread

10 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

NCFC - £20,000 per week

Arsenal- £80,000 per week

What would you do ?

You do have to add a probably seven figure promotion bonus to our salary though, the accounts suggest we dish out tens of millions if that happens. 

And by staying in the summer he may add a piece of silverware, which he won't be getting a Arsenal in the near future.

Emi should stay until summer, get us up, then leave with his head held high. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Their fans are actually saying that they want to see Godfrey as a box-to-box midfielder, which is where he started before Farke decided he was a centre back! 

Their fans can say what they want (ours certainly did) but nothing to suggest Ancelotti agrees with them over Farke

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Assuming that's the end of Xavi then? 

Farke also said we were in the market for a keeper though didn't he?

So that's 2 players already.

Not necessarily, they could be thinking an upper-Championship loan for McCullum next season because he won't be ready for the Prem.

19 hours ago, king canary said:

Tackling is fine but the whole 'art' of being a defender is positioning and reading the game so you don't have to make tackles. 

For me, the cons of having Sorenson at left back outweigh the pros. Not a knock on him, he's done a stellar job in an unfamiliar position, but if we want to go up in makes sense to upgrade our options in that position.

Quintella will be back though, so it still makes it pointless in signing a LB unless we're going after someone who is Premier League ready. I totally get what is being said about Sorenson, it's not his natural position and he isn't expected to exceed expectations there, but the reality is he's done very well and it hasn't harmed him whatsoever. It'll be great to see him in his 'proper' position, but he's adjusted well and put in some very good shifts, getting a few assists and goals as well. Yes he's no Jamal going forwards but he has filled in brilliantly.

• Like 1

Anyone else find this piece by Paddy Davitt both pointless and unhelpful? Buendia has just given an interview to an Argentinian reporter saying very clearly that he is happy and committed to play for Norwich while they still wish to keep him. So why is Davitt stirring the pot with this unnecessary speculation?

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-paddy-davitt-emi-buendia-arsenal-transfer-column-6882220

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Isn't it usually the opposite, fees are inflated in January?

Ah I guess usually yes your are right  I just assumed that while QPR aren't playing very well and are not going anywhere he may be easy to snatch, as well as not having too many more clubs sniffing around him.

7 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Ah I guess usually yes your are right  I just assumed that while QPR aren't playing very well and are not going anywhere he may be easy to snatch, as well as not having too many more clubs sniffing around him.

If a bid of £40million for example was submitted by any club and we could secure the services of some quality young talent like Olise of Reading and Osayi Samuel of QPR, I wouldnt be against Buendia leaving.

21 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I dunno - it just seems to me that sometimes people can't actually see what's going on in front of their very eyes. Have you not noticed the large number of important defensive headers that Sorensen has won for us this season? Something that never used to happen with Jamal Lewis at left back (in spite of his many other impressive attributes). 

I agree. I also think xavi is lightweight and not a good defender. He seems to love bombing down the wing and staying forward, exposing us on counters. Soreness gets forward but is more defensively minded and stronger. What is the point of  playing Todd, One or pp on the left as wingers if we also have Xavi competing for the same space? 

It's Soreness every match for me, Xavi is expendible and not required.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Anyone else find this piece by Paddy Davitt both pointless and unhelpful? Buendia has just given an interview to an Argentinian reporter saying very clearly that he is happy and committed to play for Norwich while they still wish to keep him. So why is Davitt stirring the pot with this unnecessary speculation?

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-paddy-davitt-emi-buendia-arsenal-transfer-column-6882220

Thought exactly the same thing! Just total clickbait really, the vast majority of the Buendia stuff has been utterly untrustworthy sources on Twitter whipping up a storm, why give it any merit by repasting? 

Also: 

''The bigger concern with Arsenal’s ‘pursuit’ of Emi Buendia is not that he goes but that he stays at Norwich City in this transfer window.''

What the ****? He even put it in bold as if it is some dramatic 'gotcha' plot twist moment, but it's not based on anything other than the speculation which he surely knows has been mostly bollucks? We also kept him through the summer okay and he's done pretty okay for the team since then hasn't he?

The whole article just smacks of someone who would rather get clicks on his article from Arsenal fans than someone who actually cares about Norwich. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Thought exactly the same thing! Just total clickbait really, the vast majority of the Buendia stuff has been utterly untrustworthy sources on Twitter whipping up a storm, why give it any merit by repasting? 

Also: 

''The bigger concern with Arsenal’s ‘pursuit’ of Emi Buendia is not that he goes but that he stays at Norwich City in this transfer window.''

What the ****? He even put it in bold as if it is some dramatic 'gotcha' plot twist moment, but it's not based on anything other than the speculation which he surely knows has been mostly bollucks? We also kept him through the summer okay and he's done pretty okay for the team since then hasn't he?

The whole article just smacks of someone who would rather get clicks on his article from Arsenal fans than someone who actually cares about Norwich. 

Yeah I read that line, thought 'wtf?' and clicked out of it.

I don't need Paddy to be a Norwich fan but that is such a stupid starting point for an article.

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah I read that line, thought 'wtf?' and clicked out of it.

I don't need Paddy to be a Norwich fan but that is such a stupid starting point for an article.

Yes, totally agree - a weird and very poorly argued article. 

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Their fans are actually saying that they want to see Godfrey as a box-to-box midfielder, which is where he started before Farke decided he was a centre back! 

Ironically enough I can see that happening at Everton - if Digne signs his new contract and they keep their current centre backs it makes a lot of sense to try Godfrey in front of the back four. Effectively he can shadow lots of positions for them as a utility player. Unfortunately we didn't have that luxury.

Be interesting to see whether Ozil to Fenerbache happens and a few other outgoings. Then Arsenal may well then make a move for their choosen targets, if Buendia is indeed one of them,

10 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Effectively he can shadow lots of positions for them as a utility player. Unfortunately we didn't have that luxury.

If ever we’ve had a squad that has the ability to play in unfamiliar positions when needs be, surely it’s this group of players. Case in point, Sorensen. And our midfielders, most have played various roles in the heart of the park.

58 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Yes, totally agree - a weird and very poorly argued article. 

I thought it was a reasonable point to make myself. We all know that transfer speculation unsettled Emi to an extent over the summer, and the worry is that the Arsenal fuss could do the same thing again. So far, it looks ok, he's risen above it.

I think one of my favourite bits was when they questioned whether Emi would cut it in the Europa.

No of course not you goons, he only ended 19/20 with some of the finest creative stats in the worlds best league.

20 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I thought it was a reasonable point to make myself. We all know that transfer speculation unsettled Emi to an extent over the summer, and the worry is that the Arsenal fuss could do the same thing again. So far, it looks ok, he's risen above it.

It was just the way it was worded - if he had just left it at "There is a danger that Emi could be unsettled by transfer speculation" I'm sure we would all have agreed. Instead he (or maybe the headline editor) said "the danger is not that he goes, but that he stays". 

Intrigued to know why the scoop on an English club moving for a player from another English club currently on loan in Portugal turns up in an Italian paper. I'm assuming its nonsense.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I’m sure someone won’t be able to resist starting a full in thread about this, but looks like we want to increase our options for pace out on the wing with this lad from Chelsea...

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-linked-with-chelsea-winger-lucas-piazon-6886712

An Emi replacement perhaps? Does sound like if we wanted him on a permanent then that’s pretty achievable by the sounds of it. I’m sure Ivo would put in a very good word for us. 

As for Paddy Davitt’s words, I can only think I’m misinterpreting his phrasing as how the hell would Emi staying at Norwich be a ‘concern’?!?! Absolutely baffling, pretty sure nearly every single Norwich City fan would love to see us back in the Premier League next season as we assemble a team around him! Utterly bizarre comment with all due respect to Paddy.

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I’m sure someone won’t be able to resist starting a full in thread about this, but looks like we want to increase our options for pace out on the wing with this lad from Chelsea...

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-linked-with-chelsea-winger-lucas-piazon-6886712

It says in the article we are well stocked in wide positions. As far as I'm aware Hernandez is the only proper out and out winger we had, so why wouldn't we bring him in if we wanted him and the price was right? I don't necessarily see it as a replacement for Buendia

35 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I've posted a couple of times on this thread much the same. I'm worried Emi's head will be turned. And it's a long time til the end of January. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJ said:

It says in the article we are well stocked in wide positions. As far as I'm aware Hernandez is the only proper out and out winger we had, so why wouldn't we bring him in if we wanted him and the price was right? I don't necessarily see it as a replacement for Buendia

He's also not very good as far as I'm aware. He's the poster child for not signing for Chelsea as youngster as he's basically been on loan to every league in Europe. His two spells in the Championship seemed to suggest a pretty average squad player (never started more than 20 games) and from memory never really stood out. I'd be pretty underwhelmed personally.

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

Isn’t Placheta an out and out winger then? And no reason we wouldn’t bring him in irrespective of the Buendia situation, but you never know.

And @king canarymakes a good point about the source of the article, does seem a bit random!

Just now, king canary said:

He's also not very good as far as I'm aware. He's the poster child for not signing for Chelsea as youngster as he's basically been on loan to every league in Europe. His two spells in the Championship seemed to suggest a pretty average squad player (never started more than 20 games) and from memory never really stood out. I'd be pretty underwhelmed personally.

He's certainly not at the level of Buendia, but he gives more depth and options. He played virtually every game for Fulham the two years he was there I believe and did okay scored around 6 each season with a few assists. I certainly can't imagine the fee would be particularly high

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I've posted a couple of times on this thread much the same. I'm worried Emi's head will be turned. And it's a long time til the end of January. 

I'm worried too... 

If we lose him I'll be seriously concerned about our prospects for promotion. 

He's completely irreplaceable to us - especially in the champs! 

1 minute ago, AJ said:

He's certainly not at the level of Buendia, but he gives more depth and options. He played virtually every game for Fulham the two years he was there I believe and did okay scored around 6 each season with a few assists. I certainly can't imagine the fee would be particularly high

Yeah but I'm not convinced we need to be filling the team up with Championship squad players right now (which is what Piazon's record points to). Obviously I could be totally wrong, but nothing much I've seen or heard of him makes me think he's got the ability to step up another level. 

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I'm worried too... 

If we lose him I'll be seriously concerned about our prospects for promotion. 

He's completely irreplaceable to us - especially in the champs! 

He is one of those very unpredictable players, capable of the sublime. At other times he frustrates (though mostly he does that for himself). He is just a player that can open up a defence. I've always been amazed at all those stats comparing him with the best in Europe. But...they're reliable and true. He will be aware too and I'm worried he thinks he has 'outgrown' us. If we were to get a very solid offer it will be a right battle to keep him, but also keep him a happy player. And Emi is someone who is full of emotions as we know. 

Fingers and everything else crossed.

2 hours ago, Harry53 said:

I agree. I also think xavi is lightweight and not a good defender. He seems to love bombing down the wing and staying forward, exposing us on counters. Soreness gets forward but is more defensively minded and stronger. What is the point of  playing Todd, One or pp on the left as wingers if we also have Xavi competing for the same space? 

It's Soreness every match for me, Xavi is expendible and not required.

Agreed, it's painful to watch sometimes 

• Haha 1

I’m of the opinion, Buendia must stay too, but if we get anything near £40 million and Willock who is certainly a central midfield type player we need, then I’m sure Placheta could play left wing.