Crabbycanary3

***Not official *** January transfer window thread

Probably just idle chatter, but he's a player I'd love to see us sign. Guessing this might be more of a backup plan if we're forced into selling Emi, though, as I can't see us splashing £10m on a player this window unless we're trying to replace a huge asset like Emi or Max.

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Probably just idle chatter, but he's a player I'd love to see us sign. Guessing this might be more of a backup plan if we're forced into selling Emi, though, as I can't see us splashing £10m on a player this window unless we're trying to replace a huge asset like Emi or Max.

Interesting, watching our cup game the other day, I thought he had something about him and wondered to myself if he’d caught the eye of Farke as he was their stand out player, he’s clearly technically decent - just looked a Farke type player I felt. Would rather keep Emi and Todd, but if he was to come in for another midfielder exiting this summer then I don’t think that would be a bad shout at all. Hasn’t he just come back from injury? 

Averaging a goal every 4.5 games for Coventry is a very decent return indeed for a defensive midfielder, and at only 23 years old he has plenty of time on his side too. Though I have a sneaking feeling that a Coventry supporter may just have recently updated his Wiki page...

5F63E7EE-F61E-4E9A-885D-E9AC31C7468E.png

39 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Averaging a goal every 4.5 games for Coventry is a very decent return indeed for a defensive midfielder, and at only 23 years old he has plenty of time on his side too. Though I have a sneaking feeling that a Coventry supporter may just have recently updated his Wiki page...

He' s changed!

18 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Gianoullis looks good in the video. A step up from Quintilla.

The issue with MaCallum is that he wasn't deemed good enough to start our Championship campaign, let alone play in the Premier League.

Capt. Pants I would say he looks a very intelligent left back from the videos I have seen. Of course they are highlights but it shows he has a range of crosses, picks out players, has good reactionary control and looks assured.

I like a tackling full back too and if a deal is close I would say with him and Gibson on the left side of our defence till ths end of the season would five us a great chance of going up.

Quintilla looks decent in the early outings, but there is a step up here. Obviously we do not know the full story with Xavi but if something is amiss this speculation is looking at a player who can upgrade that position.

I think it is, if it goes through, a good signing of intent for what we want to achieve this season with ambitions to play in the premier league.

47 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Interesting, watching our cup game the other day, I thought he had something about him and wondered to myself if he’d caught the eye of Farke as he was their stand out player, he’s clearly technically decent - just looked a Farke type player I felt. Would rather keep Emi and Todd, but if he was to come in for another midfielder exiting this summer then I don’t think that would be a bad shout at all. Hasn’t he just come back from injury? 

He caught my eye as well, and seemed to be at the heart of most of what Cov created. One thing I noticed was a bit of 'Emi' about him, in regards to his passion and a little bit of huffiness when things didn't go well for him.

12 minutes ago, smooth said:

Capt. Pants I would say he looks a very intelligent left back from the videos I have seen. Of course they are highlights but it shows he has a range of crosses, picks out players, has good reactionary control and looks assured.

I like a tackling full back too and if a deal is close I would say with him and Gibson on the left side of our defence till ths end of the season would five us a great chance of going up.

Quintilla looks decent in the early outings, but there is a step up here. Obviously we do not know the full story with Xavi but if something is amiss this speculation is looking at a player who can upgrade that position.

I think it is, if it goes through, a good signing of intent for what we want to achieve this season with ambitions to play in the premier league.

Agree with that. But also the extra important element to his game that he has over Xavi is his speed. He is genuinely very fast, and a speedy full-back is really important to getting the best out of our style of play. Would be happy to have both in the squad.

9 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I know it doesn’t fit in with your particular hunch,  KC, but I’m offering actual horses mouth thoughts on the Xavi situation from one of the staff, rather than either yours or mine respective opinions as fans making guesses or assumptions. I’m not sure you can just brush Kieran Scott’s comments off as ‘meaningless‘ just because they don’t fit in with your agenda on the discussion - as much as anything, that would imply KS was not being honest. No one held a gun to his head, and he didn’t talk about all of the signings we made last window either. He chose to come out with what he did. If they thought Xavi wasn’t up to scratch, then the obvious thing for him was to say nothing at all, rather than pretend anything otherwise - I think the usual company line is usually ‘Sadly it didn’t work out for him here’ which I think loosely translates as ‘He was about as much use as a sponge canoe’.

Barring his injuries, I think we’d have had the best left-back in the Championship. His body has just struggled with the intensity, which you never know until they get here’. 

We will need at least one new LB as I think we all agree. It is quite possible that there are big doubts over whether either, or both, Xavi and Sam can maintain long term fitness. We could see 2 new LB’s join in the summer at this rate, as we’ve not had the best of luck there unfortunately from an injury perspective at least anyway.

I don't have an agenda with Xavi- I wanted him back in the team. I just don't think 'Head of Recruitment says positive things about a player he just signed' is any great proof of how he's viewed right now.

I'm basing my 'hunch' on three things...

1. We're clearly making moves to sign a player who will likely be above him in the pecking order
  2. Despite being fit enough for the bench, Farke has preferred Sorenson in each league game
  3. A general sense I got from the way his injury was handled and how he's been spoken about in press conferences.

I think the injury likely plays a large part but as I say I'd be extremely surprised based on the above if his stay here is permanent. 

Also re the point about sending him back January 1st doesn't really make any sense. While I don't think they rate him hugely, I think they rate him more than having absolutely nobody at the position which is what would have happened if we'd let him go then.

Tbh there’s a big difference between being ‘fit enough for the bench’ and starting a game (or even playing at all).  Rupp was on the bench a fair bit during our injury-hit spell but it appears extremely unlikely that he was fit enough to play much.

We are clearly looking at lb - having to play someone out of position there for well over half the season to-date shows it is an area we need to look at.  We’ve been fortunate that Sorensen did as well as he did, but it also relied on an element of luck.

Edited by Branston Pickle

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Tbh there’s a big difference between being ‘fit enough for the bench’ and starting a game (or even playing at all).  Rupp was on the bench a fair bit during our injury-hit spell but it appears extremely unlikely that he was fit enough to play much.

We are clearly looking at lb - having to play someone out of position there for well over half the season to-date shows it is an area we need to look at.  We’ve been fortunate that Sorensen did as well as he did, but it also relied on an element of luck.

Maybe but I'm skeptical to be honest- Mumba and Placheta both started despite having been injured for a decent period before Coventry and Dowell was chucked back in pretty swiftly after a return to fitness. 

I could well be wrong but in my opinion everything I'm seeing points to him not being here past this season and maybe even not the end of January.

Not saying that it’s wrong - Xavi has done well enough if perhaps not quite so defensively, but with his injury he’s not really had that many games to bed in. There’s a lot to think about with overseas players and whether they’ll settle etc, a niggling injury can’t help. One issue with this new guy is that the overseas thing also applies to him and with Covid restrictions it will presumably take a few weeks before he could play.

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Forget my last post- Seems he's already here!

breek.png

Blimey he looks older than me, bald patch as well, yet another cheapskate purchase!

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

For me, if you listen back to Webber talking about what went wrong transfer-wise last year, we felt that physically and athletically we were miles off. I don't think it's a coincidence that almost all of this year's signings are either physically imposing or very fast.

Unfortunately the sounds around Xavi are that his body isn't quite robust enough to cope with English football. As a result we've decided to take a shot at one of our potentially PL-level targets who might be more suited.

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Forget my last post- Seems he's already here!

breek.png

Exciting stuff, more quality added to consolidate the promotion push. 

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Blimey he looks older than me, bald patch as well, yet another cheapskate purchase!

He needs a few workouts at Colney too by the look of it but Webber knows best. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

He needs a few workouts at Colney too by the look of it but Webber knows best. 

Apparently has a lovely personality

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, smooth said:

Yes indeed. Have rewatched the video, reminds me of Liverpool's Robertson with that laser like left foot.

His tackling technigue concerns me a little, likes to leave his leg dangling a bit 😀

Pleased with what I"ve seen though.

19 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yes indeed. Have rewatched the video, reminds me of Liverpool's Robertson with that laser like left foot.

His tackling technigue concerns me a little, likes to leave his leg dangling a bit 😀

Pleased with what I"ve seen though.

You were looking at Kylie's left foot?!

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, king canary said:

I don't have an agenda with Xavi- I wanted him back in the team. I just don't think 'Head of Recruitment says positive things about a player he just signed' is any great proof of how he's viewed right now.

I'm basing my 'hunch' on three things...

1. We're clearly making moves to sign a player who will likely be above him in the pecking order
  2. Despite being fit enough for the bench, Farke has preferred Sorenson in each league game
  3. A general sense I got from the way his injury was handled and how he's been spoken about in press conferences.

I think the injury likely plays a large part but as I say I'd be extremely surprised based on the above if his stay here is permanent. 

Also re the point about sending him back January 1st doesn't really make any sense. While I don't think they rate him hugely, I think they rate him more than having absolutely nobody at the position which is what would have happened if we'd let him go then.

Of course the part about January makes every bit of sense - if, as you assume, they don’t rate him, then they have had ample time when it was first discovered he was going to be out for a little while, to look for another player and sever ties with Xavi on January 1st. It wasn’t a case of this situation happening in the last few days of the transfer window and then Farke and Webber thinking ‘well, we might as well keep him as it’s better than nothing at all I guess’. I think Farke and Webber run that side of the club a little bit more professionally than that somewhat.

A telling quote from Connor Southwell at the presser today which again clearly shows he is indeed wanted here by Daniel Farke - 

‘Quintilla is still very much in the thoughts of #NCFC's head coach. No plan to send him back at the moment.’

We are a professional football club for Christ’s sakes KC!, trust me, if our senior staff on the football field didn’t rate Xavi, who again I will point out had many people raving about his performances before injury, then they would be sending him back to Spain, even more so with the excuse they could use regarding a persistent injury. As I say, we’ve even had ample time to find a loan replacement leading up to the start of the window, or even bring back McCallum in his place. Yet we persist with keeping Xavi here.

If there’s any doubts, it’s clearly on the fitness and stamina side rather than what you’re alluding to. There just simply isn’t any evidence to back up what you’re saying with the greatest of respect, KC.

6 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Scored a goal with a header from outside the box a few weeks ago 👍

12 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Of course the part about January makes every bit of sense - if, as you assume, they don’t rate him, then they have had ample time when it was first discovered he was going to be out for a little while, to look for another player and sever ties with Xavi on January 1st. It wasn’t a case of this situation happening in the last few days of the transfer window and then Farke and Webber thinking ‘well, we might as well keep him as it’s better than nothing at all I guess’. I think Farke and Webber run that side of the club a little bit more professionally than that somewhat.

A telling quote from Connor Southwell at the presser today which again clearly shows he is indeed wanted here by Daniel Farke - 

‘Quintilla is still very much in the thoughts of #NCFC's head coach. No plan to send him back at the moment.’

We are a professional football club for Christ’s sakes KC!, trust me, if our senior staff on the football field didn’t rate Xavi, who again I will point out had many people raving about his performances before injury, then they would be sending him back to Spain, even more so with the excuse they could use regarding a persistent injury. As I say, we’ve even had ample time to find a loan replacement leading up to the start of the window, or even bring back McCallum in his place. Yet we persist with keeping Xavi here.

If there’s any doubts, it’s clearly on the fitness and stamina side rather than what you’re alluding to. There just simply isn’t any evidence to back up what you’re saying with the greatest of respect, KC.

I guess we'll see how many games he plays between now and the end of the season. I'd be surprised if its more than a handful. 

2 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

For me, if you listen back to Webber talking about what went wrong transfer-wise last year, we felt that physically and athletically we were miles off. I don't think it's a coincidence that almost all of this year's signings are either physically imposing or very fast.

Unfortunately the sounds around Xavi are that his body isn't quite robust enough to cope with English football. As a result we've decided to take a shot at one of our potentially PL-level targets who might be more suited.

Are they? I think most of our signings have been surprisingly un "physically imposing" so far. Yes Placheta is fast and Hugill is a lump and I suppose Sorensen can hack it physically but I still feel we will need to add considerable athleticism to the side if we go up. Xavi for example is not physically imposing at all. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I guess we'll see how many games he plays between now and the end of the season. I'd be surprised if its more than a handful. 

I agree on that point, KC - let’s face it, given Quintilla is now out with Covid, the Greek lad will almost certainly get the nod and as long as he performs then Farke won’t drop him. Sorensen will probably start playing alongside Skipp more before long following his excellent displays covering at LB. But if the Greek signing gets injured or suspended then Xavi will come back in and the new(er) boy will then have to wait his turn, that’s how it works of course. Swings and roundabouts. 

Btw, from just seeing a couple more posts of yours regarding Xavi, I have more than a sneaking suspicion that it’s actually yourself that doesn’t rate him, rather than Farke and Webber etc. Which would of course completely explain why you would want to believe that they don’t either 😉