Crabbycanary3

***Not official *** January transfer window thread

13 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Various sources, including The Guardian, reporting this morning that Arsenal are preparing an official bid for Emi. They've got Kolasinac and Saliba off the wage bill, and are also hoping to move Ozil, Sokratis, Nketiah and Mustafi this month. This one just isn't going to go away until Arsenal sign a new attacking midfielder.

Maybe offer them Stiepi instead?

"off the wage bill"? Kolasinac and Saliba are on loan, so unless they are with a view to permanents it could well be they are still paying a chunk of the wages and even then, if not in view of a permanent they'll be back next season and paying the wages still. On top of that Saliba is 19 so I wouldn't imagine is on a lot.

Ozil is reportedly on £350k per week. I doubt that the two mentioned previously are even on a third of that combined! 

Arsenal have been linked with a winger as well. I'll wait until we hear something a lot more solid before I am convinced. At the moment if Arsenal have taken out a loan for genuine issues with cash flow the business side, I can see trouble ahead if they fail to qualify for Europe and lose out on more money again.

Even without Ozil, they have Aubameyang and Lacazette who are on decent wages you would think. I suspect this is more likely in the summer.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Various sources, including The Guardian, reporting this morning that Arsenal are preparing an official bid for Emi. They've got Kolasinac and Saliba off the wage bill, and are also hoping to move Ozil, Sokratis, Nketiah and Mustafi this month. This one just isn't going to go away until Arsenal sign a new attacking midfielder.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Should we not be ignoring talk like this? 😂

Club just needs to state he is not for sale at any price....

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Should we not be ignoring talk like this? 😂

Club just needs to state he is not for sale at any price....

Well the transfer window is open, this is a transfer window thread, and these reports pertain to one of our players. I'm just saying that the paper talk isn't going to stop until Arsenal either make a concrete bid for Emi, or move on to other targets. I've said in other threads that I don't think he'll be sold this window, and the club have already said he's not for sale.

46 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Well the transfer window is open, this is a transfer window thread, and these reports pertain to one of our players. I'm just saying that the paper talk isn't going to stop until Arsenal either make a concrete bid for Emi, or move on to other targets. I've said in other threads that I don't think he'll be sold this window, and the club have already said he's not for sale.

Nice try Wolfo!!! Itll take more than a statement of intent to silence the doubters. Even if EMI stated in a vid that he is happy, his family are settled and he's  just started knitting a blanket that would take as long  to make as his contract runs, and he already has plans to knit Delia a blanket during his next NCFC  contract , I guarantee there would be a thread started  within minutes  say something along the lines of  " Emi  is only knitting because he's  desperate to leave and will  , soon  , on the cheap" .....after all he could buy  more  wool if he was earning more, and theres better wool shops in London, and , and....

Theres just no stopping some people from doubting . 

What will be , will be ..... but we are in far stronger position to say " No" than we have been for years, maybe ever. That's enough for me not to panic.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Nice try Wolfo!!! Itll take more than a statement of intent to silence the doubters. Even if EMI stated in a vid that he is happy, his family are settled and he's  just started knitting a blanket that would take as long  to make as his contract runs, and he already has plans to knit Delia a blanket during his next NCFC  contract , I guarantee there would be a thread started  within minutes  say something along the lines of  " Emi  is only knitting because he's  desperate to leave and will  , soon  , on the cheap" .....after all he could buy  more  wool if he was earning more, and theres better wool shops in London, and , and....

Theres just no stopping some people from doubting . 

What will be , will be ..... but we are in far stronger position to say " No" than we have been for years, maybe ever. That's enough for me not to panic.

Too much woolly talk on this thread. Let’s get the flax.

Edited by GenerationA47

1 hour ago, GenerationA47 said:

Too much woolly talk on this thread. Let’s get the flax.

Sounds like a bit of a yarn to me, and it's really given me the needle.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19004019.championship-transfer-rumours-chelseas-forgotten-man-linked-move-norwich-city/

Hmm, thought he was known for being another jumped up, bad attitude 'future superstar' who let it go to his head and as such never produced much? Not sure he's the right fit..

Maybe he would be a great fit.

This guy needs a permanent home at a club that actually wants him and actually wants to play him.

At the age he is now at he needs to settle somewhere with a club that will let him express himself.

He clearly had something about him as Chelsea invested in him but guess this was around the time when they seemed buy any young decent footballer so no other club got them so who knows.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19004019.championship-transfer-rumours-chelseas-forgotten-man-linked-move-norwich-city/

Hmm, thought he was known for being another jumped up, bad attitude 'future superstar' who let it go to his head and as such never produced much? Not sure he's the right fit..

Leitner and Trybull were when we signed them, we had a good few years off both tbf

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Looks like 2+2=5 speculation to me. If we sold Emi then this might be the kind of signing we'd target, but with Emi, Todd, Onel, Pepe and Josh competing for those wide attacking roles (and potentially Mumba too?) I can't see the need for this signing really.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Looks like 2+2=5 speculation to me. If we sold Emi then this might be the kind of signing we'd target, but with Emi, Todd, Onel, Pepe and Josh competing for those wide attacking roles (and potentially Mumba too?) I can't see the need for this signing really.

I mean he would be joining for free and all, but yeah we already have enough wingers. Although he can play at number 10..

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean he would be joining for free and all, but yeah we already have enough wingers. Although he can play at number 10..

Hmm, possibly then... although we still have Dowell, Vrancic and Stiepi competing for 10. One would imagine if he''s finally going to leave Chelsea, he'd rather go somewhere where he's actually going to be first choice? I guess it's unlikely Emi will be here next season, and Vrancic will probably go in the summer too, so maybe they're planning ahead if there's any mileage in this.

39 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

With only 18 months left on Todd’s contract I would think there’s a high chance he will be gone this summer unless he commits to a new contract, which let’s face it, isn’t looking very promising at this moment in time.

Good chance Josh Martin will go out on loan next season should we get promoted.

So there is a very real chance we will need to sign an attacking midfield player or two that first and foremost has the skills to play at that level. Piazon could be seen by Farke and Webber as a player with undoubted ability, still at a very good age, yet a player that needs the right kind of management to polish the diamond within him. He obviously has good technical ability coming from Chelsea, and if the temperament etc adds up, then I would be more than happy to see what Daniel could do with him. Could be a very astute signing for someone within the right hands.

Linked to 22 year old left back Fredrik Bjorkan. Seems highly rated and apparently wanted by a few top flight clubs.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/footballleagueworld.co.uk/norwich-city-battling-three-top-flight-clubs-for-22-year-old-title-winner/amp/

1 hour ago, Mervmeister said:

Linked to 22 year old left back Fredrik Bjorkan. Seems highly rated and apparently wanted by a few top flight clubs.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/footballleagueworld.co.uk/norwich-city-battling-three-top-flight-clubs-for-22-year-old-title-winner/amp/

Fits in with the criteria of our usual transfer targets... young, good potential, off the radar and soon out of contract.

6 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

Fits in with the criteria of our usual transfer targets... young, good potential, off the radar and soon out of contract.

Interesting if true. He came up in the Pink Un's list of potential LB targets they did on here about a week or so back. 

So it's either a case of someone running with that story and jumping to conclusions or there is, in fact, something in it. 

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Would he get a work permit though?

Do you know how the rules around the work permits is applied.  Thebpints system seem simple, yet there are examples of younger players who have qualified.  For example Soto does not have enough points yet Tomkinson does have a work permit? 

23 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Hmm, possibly then... although we still have Dowell, Vrancic and Stiepi competing for 10. One would imagine if he''s finally going to leave Chelsea, he'd rather go somewhere where he's actually going to be first choice? I guess it's unlikely Emi will be here next season, and Vrancic will probably go in the summer too, so maybe they're planning ahead if there's any mileage in this.

Dowell is currently injured, Vrancic is out of contract in the summer and free to talk to other clubs now, Stiepermann is a good option to have but arguably is a bit short of the quality needed in the Premier League and is currently still out with illness.

Knowing how the club works, they could well have identified this area as one that needs new long term additions. It may also be that we are planning again for the summer and the knowledge that big bids could come in for Buendia/Cantwell and of the options we have, are Placheta or Sinani ready to step up to the Premier league?

As well as we are doing, there are still some question marks around some areas of our squad and the quality in depth especially looking forward to next season. We also know that Webber and Farke seem to like to get players in January with an eye on the following season. Hernandez, Leitner, Rupp, who were used a bit less in the half a season before bedding in well the following season.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, chicken said:

Dowell is currently injured, Vrancic is out of contract in the summer and free to talk to other clubs now, Stiepermann is a good option to have but arguably is a bit short of the quality needed in the Premier League and is currently still out with illness.

Knowing how the club works, they could well have identified this area as one that needs new long term additions. It may also be that we are planning again for the summer and the knowledge that big bids could come in for Buendia/Cantwell and of the options we have, are Placheta or Sinani ready to step up to the Premier league?

As well as we are doing, there are still some question marks around some areas of our squad and the quality in depth especially looking forward to next season. We also know that Webber and Farke seem to like to get players in January with an eye on the following season. Hernandez, Leitner, Rupp, who were used a bit less in the half a season before bedding in well the following season.

Good points well made. It may well be that they're planning for life without either Stiepi or Vrancic (or even without both) next season, in which case it would make sense to get someone in now who can get up to speed and have a better chance of making a real impression at PL level.

31 minutes ago, chicken said:

Exactly, we could be looking at quite a few changes in midfield personnel in just a few short months, so we’re certainly far from overstocked if you’ve one eye on the near future. Piazon would be exactly the kind of player we would bring in to bulk up the rest of the squad cheaply - in that respect, he strikes me very much as a typical Farke/Webber signing. Though I’ve always thought since when we were first promoted to the Prem under Daniel, that it’d be the second season we get there where you’d see a tad more loosening of the purse strings. I still believe that to be the case, though I have no doubt Covid will have impacted those plans slightly should we get back at the first time of asking.

If we could get Piazon effectively on the cheap, it would be worth doing so imo. It's good that we have an eye on the future, hopefully in the EPL, and are building the squad accordingly. Tbh I think Hernandez and Placheta come up short in terms of EPL standard, plus I'm always wondering when Onel will get injured next.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If we could get Piazon effectively on the cheap, it would be worth doing so imo. It's good that we have an eye on the future, hopefully in the EPL, and are building the squad accordingly. Tbh I think Hernandez and Placheta come up short in terms of EPL standard, plus I'm always wondering when Onel will get injured next.

Placheta's got plenty of potential yet and whilst Hernandez may be short of PL standard in decision-making, that raw pace off the bench is a problem for any team.

If we go up, I can't see Vrancic being offered a new contract unless we change the formation. He's not really a number 10 going off his shows this season, but as a deep-lying playmaker he's not got the physicality for the Premiership. 4-3-2-1 alongside Sorensen and Rupp could work, but not in the hole (or Skipp on loan again, which would be nice).

I very much doubt there will be some final 'lets have a good go at this'when we go up

It will be another case of 'steady as she goes'.

If we stay up then all the better, but the underlying strategy of the club will be to continue to be self funding, and not to burden ourselves with transfer fees and contracts that cannot be met in the Championship.

If there was no consistent progress then a case of 'sht' or bust' could be made - but we have come too far to act silly now (WBA).

Despite not having the crowds at games the football has been excellent, as has the development if so many 'of our own'. However we are not anywhere near having a squad good enough to challenge in the PL - so lets not kid ourselves that all that is needed is a few good signings, and we will be ok.

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

I very much doubt there will be some final 'lets have a good go at this'when we go up

It will be another case of 'steady as she goes'.

If we stay up then all the better, but the underlying strategy of the club will be to continue to be self funding, and not to burden ourselves with transfer fees and contracts that cannot be met in the Championship.

If there was no consistent progress then a case of 'sht' or bust' could be made - but we have come too far to act silly now (WBA).

Despite not having the crowds at games the football has been excellent, as has the development if so many 'of our own'. However we are not anywhere near having a squad good enough to challenge in the PL - so lets not kid ourselves that all that is needed is a few good signings, and we will be ok.

We definitely wouldn’t go bonkers and spend a shed load, but I’d be very surprised if we didn’t invest a little more than we did last time.

Webber has already said he made a mistake last time and sent Daniel in effectively to war without a loaded gun. The only way I can read that is that next time he intends to at least buy him a bullet.

And a few good signings could exactly be all we need to be ok. I still think even with last seasons squad, a few more bits of luck injury wise particularly at CB and with Pukki’s toe around mid season, we’d have gained those valuable few more points in order to stay up. We’ve arguably got a better more solid team now, so with a few more good quality signings and a bit of luck, then I think we’d certainly have a chance. Sheff Utd managed it as that luck with injuries etc was on their side, and Leeds also look like they’ll also do it this season, largely with the same team who we brushed aside to the title 2 years ago.

So factoring everything in, and with a bit of luck on the injury front, there’s no reason why things couldn’t be different for us at our second attempt.

• Like 1

Spending comes down to what is affordable if we don't stay up.

Ourselves Watford and B'mouth lose around £40m in payments come the summer - scompared to what we had this season.

Which, should we not go up will mean sales and wage cuts this summer.

Go up, and we avoid that while still developing the squad... for the long term.

My concern ius that some fans might think we could spend, spend, spend with no recourse to how that committed money will be met outside of the PL. PL money will cover any COVID losses, but staying up should not be seen as an all or nothing gamble (WBA)

plus we need to go up as our trophy cabinet has got used to regularly having another addition over the past four decades

six to the binners two .............. seven if you count our play off final cup

7 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Do you know how the rules around the work permits is applied.  Thebpints system seem simple, yet there are examples of younger players who have qualified.  For example Soto does not have enough points yet Tomkinson does have a work permit? 

My understanding of the new post Brexit work permit situation is that signings from Leagues like Norway would be really difficult due to it not being considered one of the top leagues. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill said:

plus we need to go up as our trophy cabinet has got used to regularly having another addition over the past four decades

six to the binners two .............. seven if you count our play off final cup

Even funnier is that my Binner mate hates me pointing out that we’ve won the EFL trophy more times than the Binners and we don’t need a star to show off! It really pisses him off 👍