Crabbycanary3

***Not official *** January transfer window thread

Emi won't be leaving this window. I have no doubt we will experience some sort of circus with Arsenal hoping something like £25 million with add ons might be enough, largely as I think they will be hoping to unsettle him and get the old transfer request fiasco going. BUT, I actually think Webber and Farke have a good enough relationship with Buendia to be able to weather that storm, and I don't think Buendia will force it this window, though next summer without promotion would be a different matter. I think it unlikely any club in these troubling times will come in for a championship player for £40-45 million, but thats the only way I could see this happening. Its stupid and unrealistic money, and for that reason the only way we would sell and why it won't happen.

In terms of what I think Buendia will be thinking and will be told (and also where the club is at); he is currently playing for a side at the top of the table, getting to showcase how good and too good he is for this league. He has been showing this for 3 seasons now, his move to an established top tier side is now all but guaranteed. If he is smart (and remembers what we've done for him too on his way up) he will be sticking around to add another Championship winners medal to his haul, his form will only attract more attention from other top clubs, perhaps ones with european football (unlike arsenal it would appear). After that he knows he will be playing top flight football regardless and could leave with all parties, to an extent, happy. 

I think the club will have said near enough the same thing as they have said to Aarons; 'Relax, enjoy your football here right now and don't worry about transfers, because one way or another you will be playing top flight football next season, be that with us or if we don't go up, us letting you go'. 

Edited by birchfest
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, birchfest said:

Emi won't be leaving this window. I have no doubt we will experience some sort of circus with Arsenal hoping something like £25 million with add ons might be enough, largely as I think they will be hoping to unsettle him and get the old transfer request fiasco going. BUT, I actually think Webber and Farke have a good enough reputation with Buendia to be able to weather that storm. I think it unlikely any club in these troubling times will come in for a championship player for £40-45 million, but thats the only way I could see this happening. Its stupid and unrealistic money, and for that reason the only we would sell and why it won't happen.

In terms of what I think Buendia will be thinking and will be told (and also where the club is at); he is currently playing for a side at the top of the table, getting to showcase how good and too good he is for this league. He has been showing this for 3 seasons now, his move to an established top tier side is now all but guaranteed. If he is smart (and remembers what we've done for him too on his way up) he will be sticking around to add another Championship winners medal to his haul, his form will only attract more attention from other top clubs, perhaps ones with european football (unlike arsenal it would appear). After that he knows he will be playing top flight football regardless and could leave with all parties, to an extent, happy. 

I think the club will have said near enough the same thing as they have said to Aarons; 'Relax, enjoy your football here right now and don't worry about transfers, because one way or another you will be playing top flight football next season, be that with us or if we don't go up, us letting you go'. 

An excellent synopsis, I agree with every word of that.

• Like 1

If and when EMI leaves, anyone have any suggestions on a creator in a similar mould?

I suppose to some degree cantwell is a creator.

I thought that Chair was very good for QPR, and he wouldn't cost a fortune either. Get him in this month!

Cant see anyone but arsenal bringing in anyone from the champs for big money ,this year particularly, even then they may see better 'value' in bringing in someone from abroad. Think we all need to take a chill pill and take SW & DF at their word. 

1 hour ago, NeymarSmith said:

If and when EMI leaves, anyone have any suggestions on a creator in a similar mould?

I thought that Chair was very good for QPR, and he wouldn't cost a fortune either. Get him in this month!

Good call. We could have a midfield of Sitti - Chair

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Decemberists said:

I agree, definitely want someone permanent. A permanent deal we should be aiming to knock £5 million of asking price for Emi but getting our hands on a player valued at more like £10, otherwise we should just ask for it in cash. Any player coming to us needs to be in our favour.

Exactly, we have a scouting network out there that I trust more than signing a player from arsenal who hasn’t done much. I just hope to god this money is reinvested. 

11 minutes ago, kirku said:

Good call. We could have a midfield of Sitti - Chair

I tried to put “Onel” in the middle of that to make “on the”. It didn’t work 😒

6 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I tried to put “Onel” in the middle of that to make “on the”. It didn’t work 😒

If Robert Chase was still chairman and he bought Shane long, we could have had a cha(i)se-long(ue). I'll get my coat!

2 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

I'm sorry, but you haven't got a leg to stand on.....................

44 minutes ago, horsefly said:

If Robert Chase was still chairman and he bought Shane long, we could have had a cha(i)se-long(ue). I'll get my coat!

Chase would never have spent that kind of money! 

2 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

I think Sinani was brought in as that play maker.  He was surprised that he went on loan when he arrived. I assumed that was because Emi was expected to leave then, and the right offer did not come, and he was easier to loan out.  

The Nelson / Willock link to Emi has been doing the Twitter rounds all day. To be fair both of those are very good footballers and of good pedigree. Nelson was ripping up the Bundesliga a while ago for example. And rumours are that if, and that is an if, Arsenal do put a large sum forward as an offer them Emi would force our hand. These are the rumours so don't shoot the messenger but I've not seen them here.

1 minute ago, curious yellow said:

Chair has just been admitted to hospital. Doctors say he is comfortable. 

He’s terrible in media interviews though. Very wooden.

If Emi goes we might be back in for Dennis Man. 

Chair Man would be an influential partnership at this level.

If he did come he'd only sit on the bench though wouldn't he? Or on his own seat anyway.

29 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

He’s terrible in media interviews though. Very wooden.

Didn't he deck the interviewer?

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yes, I am. We've acquired those funds through excellent scouting and planning for the future... why would we suddenly start splashing big money when we're still a Championship team?

I’d be curious to see what this regime can get when actually backed with funds, given the success they a have achieved without any

6 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I’d be curious to see what this regime can get when actually backed with funds, given the success they a have achieved without any

Don’t get it? 🤔

Edited by Nuff Said

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Hugill is a recognised goalscorer and he cost us several million pounds. Idah will be back soon, and we've got Omotoye and possibly Soto as backup. Can't see another striker coming in, personally.

Why do you think we need two or three more central midfielders, when we already have Skipp, Rupp, Tettey, Sorensen, McLean and Vrancic competing for those positions?

Absolutely agree about the left back and goalkeeper situations, though, and Farke has already implied that we're looking at these positions.

We're top of the league, playing well and have several quality players still to come back from injury. Get a backup goalie and another left-back and I'll be more than happy; any other signings are for the U23s and continue our excellent investment in youth.

Hugill is not going to play EPL football in a team outside the relegation zone.    He doesn't have the skills, speed or mobility....if he does, its an outside chance and our game is definitely not suited to his skills.    Idah and Otomoye and Soto probably have those but no experience at all, to suggest any of them are Premier League capable seriously underestimates the step up.   They will not be pushing Pukki for a place in the team anytime this side of 2022/23.   Pukki needs competition to sharpen up as he's being given chance after chance and far too many are going begging. 

In the EPL central midfield players need quality, power, pace and agility....  Tettey, Vrancic, McLean and to a degree Rupp don't have any of these, they are EFL players as they all proved last year and yes we can get by with them now but that doesn't plan for a probable go at the EPL does it?    Nor does it inspire our better players to stay should we get promoted.    Skipp isn't ours and its folly to expect him to be here next year.   Hope yes, but to expect, no!     Sorensen has never played a minutes high-level football in a Central midfield role and no one knows whether he will be good enough.    Are you really confident that any two of those you quote above (excluding Skipp) will be able to control EPL games and give our forward players a base to really express themselves.    They all had plenty of opportunities last season and none were good enough.    

The players to come back in will give us more depth but aren't necessarily going to improve the starting eleven a great deal.      

Don't get me wrong, the club's philosophy is bang on.... we do have some money and if the club and the fans want and expect Buendia and Aarons to stay (and any future stars) we are going to need some investment.   A couple of signings now makes us extra likely to get promoted and we must have some money.   This league is not done, there are some fine sides (we can't be arrogant to think Swansea, Brentford, Bournemouth and Watford don't have enough about them).   No signings leaves us vulnerable.

5 hours ago, king canary said:

You expect us to sign 5 or 6 EPL level players in January while playing in the Championship? That is not happening.

Definitely says 'some of'!    that could be two or three if we were lucky.... our best players need to know we mean business and if we are to get promoted that we will have a chance to thrive.   Think I make valid points in both posts.   

I do agree we won't be filling all of the holes and possibly that we won't fill any.    Just think we should for the reasons given.  

Edited by ged in the onion bag
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Don’t get it? 🤔

I want to see Webber backed, the recruitment without any real money and lots of sales has been excellent.

Here's an idea. 

As I (and many others) don't think we'll be selling any of our current star players and haven't since the start of this season (Godfrey and Lewis excluded)...

Why don't we discuss possible incomings on here? The transfer thread was always that way in the past and it was quite fun, if not always accurate 😂

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

Here's an idea. 

As I (and many others) don't think we'll be selling any of our current star players and haven't since the start of this season (Godfrey and Lewis excluded)...

Why don't we discuss possible incomings on here? The transfer thread was always that way in the past and it was quite fun, if not always accurate 😂

Lee Camp? 😉

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Hugill is not going to play EPL football in a team outside the relegation zone.    He doesn't have the skills, speed or mobility....if he does, its an outside chance and our game is definitely not suited to his skills.    Idah and Otomoye and Soto probably have those but no experience at all, to suggest any of them are Premier League capable seriously underestimates the step up.   They will not be pushing Pukki for a place in the team anytime this side of 2022/23.   Pukki needs competition to sharpen up as he's being given chance after chance and far too many are going begging. 

In the EPL central midfield players need quality, power, pace and agility....  Tettey, Vrancic, McLean and to a degree Rupp don't have any of these, they are EFL players as they all proved last year and yes we can get by with them now but that doesn't plan for a probable go at the EPL does it?    Nor does it inspire our better players to stay should we get promoted.    Skipp isn't ours and its folly to expect him to be here next year.   Hope yes, but to expect, no!     Sorensen has never played a minutes high-level football in a Central midfield role and no one knows whether he will be good enough.    Are you really confident that any two of those you quote above (excluding Skipp) will be able to control EPL games and give our forward players a base to really express themselves.    They all had plenty of opportunities last season and none were good enough.    

The players to come back in will give us more depth but aren't necessarily going to improve the starting eleven a great deal.      

Don't get me wrong, the club's philosophy is bang on.... we do have some money and if the club and the fans want and expect Buendia and Aarons to stay (and any future stars) we are going to need some investment.   A couple of signings now makes us extra likely to get promoted and we must have some money.   This league is not done, there are some fine sides (we can't be arrogant to think Swansea, Brentford, Bournemouth and Watford don't have enough about them).   No signings leaves us vulnerable.

In an ideal world it'd be great to do it the way you're suggesting, to cement our position at the top and give the new players a chance to bed in. However, given our previous strategy plus the ongoing coronavirus situation, I'd be extremely surprised to see us spend much this window unless we're forced into selling one of our big hitters.

I believe the current squad is good enough to keep us in the top two, and Farke is a good enough manager to keep us in the top two. If we're looking for big signings of EPL quality, those will only come when we have the guarantee of EPL cash in our back pocket. No chance we'll leave ourselves with big earners on big outlays before we've sealed promotion, and I think that's prudent.

Considering how much our 'prudence with ambition' policy was (rightly) derided in the past under Doomcaster et al, where we're at now shows it isn't the policy itself that was the problem, but the implementation. Now would be the wrong time to lose our nerve and splash the cash. We have a habit of getting our business done early, so expect to see quality new signings in June if we do go up.

Edited by Feedthewolf

Any permanent signings would need to be PL standard, otherwise they would not be of much use if we go up.

They don't come cheap wages wise, and would be a drain were we not to go up

Which therefore points to loanees - that might require a set number of games as a minimum and still would cost, though not a further2-3 years wages.

However there, much will depend on how we are doing injury wise come the end if the month