Crabbycanary3

***Not official *** January transfer window thread

8 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Was just reading reports that Arsenal are still sniffing around Emi. It's suggested £40m and a player. IMO we're looking strong and it would be ludicrous to sell Emi in this window, with our intentions to get promoted. But would £40m and say Nelson or Willock be a good deal?

Yea on a permanent I would take that - would rather keep Emi, but I would understand why the board accepted.

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

And that was when we were mid-table, no chance of promotion and NEEDED to sell, it was publicly known.

Actually, we were only 5 points off the play offs when we sold him. I thought at the time we had a chance if we could've kept Pritchard. He'd just come back from injury, and immediately improved us, scoring in a win at Birmingham. 

Not a criticism, but remember feeling like we'd waved the white flag too early on that season. Didnt work out too bad though.

3 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Like I said, if we keep hold of everyone then great, we as fans should be expecting nothing less as we're top of the league and promotion back to the EPL was the club's stated aim for this season, selling any of those 3 players does not contribute to that goal. There was a lot of talk over the summer with people believing we would/fearful that we would sell all 5 of our "crown jewels", that obviously didn't come to pass and the club (rightfully) came into a lot of praise for our summer transfer dealings, which did strengthen the squad in a number of key areas. As fans we all want the club to succeed and get promoted/win the league, I don't see how being opposed to selling the key players who can make that a reality is somehow an attack on the club or enough to make you so personally offended!

I'm not offended by anything mate. It just infuriates me when people pepper the forum with outrageous negative posts and then disappear without trace when their doomwatching turns out to be way wide of the mark. There's nothing I take issue with in your post.

11 minutes ago, Decemberists said:

I agree, definitely want someone permanent. A permanent deal we should be aiming to knock £5 million of asking price for Emi but getting our hands on a player valued at more like £10, otherwise we should just ask for it in cash. Any player coming to us needs to be in our favour.

I can't see either Willock or Nelson agreeing to a permanent deal here- both of them will be on not bad wages and could probably get a move to a midtable Premier League side if they were actively on the market. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm not offended by anything mate. It just infuriates me when people pepper the forum with outrageous negative posts and then disappear without trace when their doomwatching turns out to be way wide of the mark. There's nothing I take issue with in your post.

👍

I won't be disappearing, don't think we should sell, don't think we will sell, really hope we don't sell.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

We've been linked with a young forward from Northampton, Caleb Chukwuemeka. Sounds like the kind of player we'd be in for.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/norwich-city-submit-transfer-offer-for-efl-player-amid-premier-league-interest/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caleb_Chukwuemeka

It might be if we were Ipswich but surely Norwich should be fishing in a bigger pool. 

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

We've been linked with a young forward from Northampton, Caleb Chukwuemeka. Sounds like the kind of player we'd be in for.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/norwich-city-submit-transfer-offer-for-efl-player-amid-premier-league-interest/

This story did the rounds a couple of months ago. At the time the CEO of Villa was quoted as saying that Chuckwuemeka was "the best young talent in Britain". 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

It might be if we were Ipswich but surely Norwich should be fishing in a bigger pool. 

Have you been paying attention to anything that's happened at this club in the last three and a half years?

• Like 2

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

This story did the rounds a couple of months ago. At the time the CEO of Villa was quoted as saying that Chuckwuemeka was "the best young talent in Britain". 

Nope, that's his brother Carney Chukwuemeka.

8 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Did you say that when we signed Ben Godfrey from York or James Maddison from Coventry? 

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

👍

I won't be disappearing, don't think we should sell, don't think we will sell, really hope we don't sell.

Yeah, I wasn't calling you out buddy! Just the ones who only post when we lose, or something goes wrong, or they want to shout at clouds.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Have you been paying attention to anything that's happened at this club in the last three and a half years?

I certainly have, no problem buying young lads for the future but are you aware of the funds we’ve acquired in the said period. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I certainly have, no problem buying young lads for the future but are you aware of the funds we’ve acquired in the said period. 

Yes, I am. We've acquired those funds through excellent scouting and planning for the future... why would we suddenly start splashing big money when we're still a Championship team?

9 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The pool he's fished from is immaterial. 

He's 18, he won't be someone we'll be expecting to play right away and will be longer term project like Godfrey, which worked out pretty well.

11 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

👍

But you do understand that some bids can’t be ignored? Chiefly because the player bid for will insist on leaving because of what it means for them?

• Like 1

I don't think you get Buendia for £40m if he was being signed from Real Madrid or Liverpool, or Leicester, the lad is sensational, proven and creates chances for fun... a guaranteed source of 70-100 chances a season when fit... will only get better.  He's already created 62 in 19 games this season.....plus goals, plus ball recovery and tenacity...  £50m isn't enough so up to £40m including a player (who we haven't scouted) isn't a good deal for us.    We have forward players so would need a replacement who is creative or fills a weak position, not a winger..    Do Willock or Nelson fill the gaps, probably not!   

He does deserve a better contract though, even if it's not extended or a bonus if that would keep him happy!  

Edited by ged in the onion bag

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

The pool he's fished from is immaterial. 

fright away and will be longer term project like Godfrey, which worked out pretty well.

Bali Mumba was found playing for South Shields...

11 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yes, I am. We've acquired those funds through excellent scouting and planning for the future... why would we suddenly start splashing big money when we're still a Championship team?

Not arguing with your point and I am with you on the scouting and planning, our philosophy has been brilliant to get to this point but with the potential to lose our best players we need to twist!   Now is the time we need to fill the gaps with EPL level quality... ensures the best chance of promotion, allows players to settle and get used to the system, shows commitment and will encourage our better players to stick with the project... if we are to go up, our best players won't be risking a repeat of last time.....

We need some of: -

a recognised goalscorer who can unsettle Pukki's position as a starter

two or three central midfielders

a left back

a back up keeper who can compete with Krul...

5 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Bali Mumba was found playing for South Shields...

Bali Mumba has played a couple of minutes football for us..... would be very foolish to think we have a player until he's had a proper opportunity and proven himself.     

6 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Not arguing with your point and I am with you on the scouting and planning, our philosophy has been brilliant to get to this point but with the potential to lose our best players we need to twist!   Now is the time we need to fill the gaps with EPL level quality... ensures the best chance of promotion, allows players to settle and get used to the system, shows commitment and will encourage our better players to stick with the project... if we are to go up, our best players won't be risking a repeat of last time.....

a left back

Exactly, no one would expect a huge spend regardless of who may be moving on in the future. It would be nice to buy the odd Astra after selling a Rolls though. 

40 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Ah yes, seeing as we have Pukki, Idah, Hugil and soon soto another striker is what we need.

No, no I jest- Clearly one for our academy, heard hes pretty talented

9 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

a left back

Hugill is a recognised goalscorer and he cost us several million pounds. Idah will be back soon, and we've got Omotoye and possibly Soto as backup. Can't see another striker coming in, personally.

Why do you think we need two or three more central midfielders, when we already have Skipp, Rupp, Tettey, Sorensen, McLean and Vrancic competing for those positions?

Absolutely agree about the left back and goalkeeper situations, though, and Farke has already implied that we're looking at these positions.

We're top of the league, playing well and have several quality players still to come back from injury. Get a backup goalie and another left-back and I'll be more than happy; any other signings are for the U23s and continue our excellent investment in youth.

16 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

a left back

You expect us to sign 5 or 6 EPL level players in January while playing in the Championship? That is not happening.

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

You expect us to sign 5 or 6 EPL level players in January while playing in the Championship? That is not happening.

Quite frankly it's probably not happening even if we get promoted to the PL.  EPL level players tend to cost £15 million and upwards. 

I think we can all agree that if we sell Emi in this window then our chances of promotion will be lower. Let’s hope that our valuation of the player is high enough to put off the likes of Arsenal from making a firm bid because if £40 million is on the table, the player and his agents will be expecting the club to take it

Edited by JF

17 minutes ago, JF said:

I think we can all agree that if we sell Emi in this window then our chances of promotion will be lower. Let’s hope that our valuation of the player is high enough to put off the likes of Arsenal from making a firm bid because if £40 million is on the table, the player and his agents will be expecting the club to take it

We'd need £40m to part with him in January, or maybe £35m if they will loan him back to us for the second half of the season. I'd rather we stuck to our guns, though, as if he stays until the summer and keeps playing the way he is at the moment he could end up going for even more. His stats from last season show that he's good enough to do it in the EPL.

If he goes for any less than £35m in this window, that would be hugely disappointing. We hold all the cards at the moment, but if Emi and/or his agent start acting up then our hand weakens considerably.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

We'd need £40m to part with him in January, or maybe £35m if they will loan him back to us for the second half of the season. I'd rather we stuck to our guns, though, as if he stays until the summer and keeps playing the way he is at the moment he could end up going for even more. His stats from last season show that he's good enough to do it in the EPL.

If he goes for any less than £35m in this window, that would be hugely disappointing. We hold all the cards at the moment, but if Emi and/or his agent start acting up then our hand weakens considerably.

Yes I’d agree with all of that and desperately want us to get through the window with the squad intact.