Crabbycanary3

***Not official *** January transfer window thread

7 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Ughhhh. How about you save those kind of remarks until something actually happens? 

I thought maybe some posters would reign it in a bit after the fantastic job the club did in keeping Buendia, Aarons and Cantwell over the summer - in spite of everyone hurling abuse at the club for a lack of ambition and poor ownership before they had even sold anyone! But no, same old same old... just can’t wait to stick the knife in.

You know the club aren’t responsible for transfer rumours right? I just don’t understand how these kind of comments are remotely fair?

Also what does a ‘history of selling our best players mean’, please can you explain this statement and how it applies particularly to our club over other clubs? Because I think literally every club in England or our size in a similar position and face the same issues.

And not even a comment on the last window where we kept our 2 best prospects (Max and Emi) from last season??? Where’s the credit for that?

Just don’t get it.

If I had some likes left I would use one for this 👍

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

If I had some likes left I would use one for this 👍

Done for you Franko. With one caveat , it wasnt 'everyone' hurling abuse at the Club, just the usual suspects that have little or no grasp on what the Club is striving to achieve. They are beyond contempt and below ridicule. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hogesar said:

We could get 50m for Emi which we contractually couldn't reject because it activated a clause in his contract and some on here would have a party and dance about the fact they've got an angle to criticise a board that proves them wrong at every turn.

Many on this forum told me our board would sell all our young players in the summer for the first offer received etc etc....geniuses, the lot of 'em

Not like you to toot your own horn and insult people

1 minute ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Not like you to toot your own horn and insult people

How's it my fault that I was proven right despite the stick I got for arguing the point at the time?

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

How's it my fault that I was proven right despite the stick I got for arguing the point at the time?

People panic, it’s natural. It doesn’t make their opinions anymore less valid.

I was only concerned about Emi and Aaron’s going this Summer. Confident we can keep Emi and unsure about the promises made to Aaron’s re. League Position in Jan/his future. 

Webber is fantastic and will not be conned by anyone, I am now panicking about next Summer when he says he is leaving! 

Hopefully Farke gets backed now we have a better financial position.

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Pah - at some point in the future Norwich will sell one of their players - and then you will have been proved WRONG!! (In fact they are going to betray us this very week by selling Carlton Morris to one of our direct rivals!!! 🥵)

On 31/12/2020 at 09:24, Nuff Said said:

TBF it doesn’t look like a particularly In The Know account (if they’d said the fee was £15 million we’d know for sure), but I expect to see a lot more of this sort of thing before January is over. ☹️

There can be no doubt whatsoever that he deserves to be playing at a higher level. If Farke can keep him focused then, like Villa did with Grealish every effort should be made to try and keep him at the club for the second half of this season and for the next should we go up. Without him i suspect we will not go up despite the good start and without him there would be little chance of staying up should he be promoted. We do need to recognize that a player of his talent will only stay at a club like Norwich for a limited period of time. The ideal would be to help us get up and then stay up and his performances would then secure both player and club a substantial pay day

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Pah - at some point in the future Norwich will sell one of their players - and then you will have been proved WRONG!! (In fact they are going to betray us this very week by selling Carlton Morris to one of our direct rivals!!! 🥵)

I'm ready for the inevitable stick coming my way Thirsty 😅

2 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I was only concerned about Emi and Aaron’s going this Summer. Confident we can keep Emi and unsure about the promises made to Aaron’s re. League Position in Jan/his future. 

Webber is fantastic and will not be conned by anyone, I am now panicking about next Summer when he says he is leaving! 

I totally get that.

I wasn't referring to you directly but more those that called me a happy clapping idiot for saying we wouldn't sell them all. Surely its only fair they get a little dig back in the other direction now they've been proven wrong?

If we get promoted next season will be interesting. I cant imagine us spending massive money and id hope we wouldn't- look at Sheffield United this season.

However, we will obviously have to strengthen in a couple key positions. 

On 31/12/2020 at 14:08, Capt. Pants said:

We haven't missed Godfrey that much as our remaining CBs are perfectly adept at dealing with the cloggers in the Chump. Get a bit of pace against them it's a different story.

Losing Emi and/or Max would be pretty terminal to achieving top 2 as we simply don't have the quality elsewhere at the moment. Dowell and Martin just don't have the cutting edge of Emi, and god knows what we'll do if we lose another FB.

Max is a very good player and i hope he stays, i feel his loss would not be terminal to promotion provided we got in a competent championship replacement. the loss of Emi is an entirely different prospect, he is the heartbeat of our team with his goals, vision and talent his loss would be terminal to promotion prospects. Steipermann  had a torrid time in the PL but had a decent championship CV, this season without scapegoating him he has looked well short of his previous championship performances and looks more like a league 1 lump now. It is difficult to say why that should be is it that in our promotion season he over achieved or the PL experience has trashed his confidence either way i do not think we would miss him with many others ahead of him now

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I totally get that.

I wasn't referring to you directly but more those that called me a happy clapping idiot for saying we wouldn't sell them all. Surely its only fair they get a little dig back in the other direction now they've been proven wrong?

If we get promoted next season will be interesting. I cant imagine us spending massive money and id hope we wouldn't- look at Sheffield United this season.

However, we will obviously have to strengthen in a couple key positions. 

No panic from me on that front in the summer, so no offence taken! I enjoy reading and arguing others opinions on here, would be so boring if we all agreed!

Whatever division we are in, we will need to spend some money next year. Championship- we will lose assets and will need replacing. Premiership- we are definitely not good enough to stay up (as it stands)

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

No panic from me on that front in the summer, so no offence taken! I enjoy reading and arguing others opinions on here, would be so boring if we all agreed!

Whatever division we are in, we will need to spend some money next year. Championship- we will lose assets and will need replacing. Premiership- we are definitely not good enough to stay up (as it stands)

Differing opinions seem to be less invited by some which is a pity. It's a discussion forum after all.... Good to see Farke dismissing the rumours about Emi! These players do not come along that often ... Best player we have had here since? Better than Madders in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Differing opinions seem to be less invited by some which is a pity. It's a discussion forum after all.... Good to see Farke dismissing the rumours about Emi! These players do not come along that often ... Best player we have had here since? Better than Madders in my opinion. 

Buendia is one a kind, he is definitely in my top 3 Norwich players I have seen in the flesh. It’s interesting to read other people’s take on things.

Hopefully Leeds will come back in for Cantwell the money  we get for him should buy us a new back up keeper with MM out of contact in the summer

we should also get a decent LB and a winger with absolutely no detriment to the team

its a no brainer 

Edited by Uncle Fred

6 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Hopefully Leeds will come back in for Cantwell the money  we get for him should buy us a new back up keeper with MM out of contact in the summer

we should also get a decent LB and a winger with absolutely no detriment to the team

I am a no brainer 

Fixed.😇

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Some opinions are less valid though.

I'm certainly not someone who supports our board and owners uncritically but there are lots of people who will claim we don't get good prices for our players, fold at the first offer etc etc which just isn't the case. Since Webber has been with us we've consistently got great prices for anyone we've sold. The opinion that we're a soft touch in the transfer market (not saying this is your opinion to be clear) isnt valid yet it gets trotted out all the time.

Wasn’t Sinai brought in to fill the playmakers role?   How is his loan going?  I have seen he is averaging a goal every three games currently.   

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I'm certainly not someone who supports our board and owners uncritically but there are lots of people who will claim we don't get good prices for our players, fold at the first offer etc etc which just isn't the case. Since Webber has been with us we've consistently got great prices for anyone we've sold. The opinion that we're a soft touch in the transfer market (not saying this is your opinion to be clear) isnt valid yet it gets trotted out all the time.

I’d say they are generally the wind up merchants on here. 

I’m not a big fan of the board of this football club either, but when I see the excellent work done by Webber and the back room team, I cannot be anything but impressed.

4 hours ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

There can be no doubt whatsoever that he deserves to be playing at a higher level. If Farke can keep him focused then, like Villa did with Grealish every effort should be made to try and keep him at the club for the second half of this season and for the next should we go up. Without him i suspect we will not go up despite the good start and without him there would be little chance of staying up should he be promoted. We do need to recognize that a player of his talent will only stay at a club like Norwich for a limited period of time. The ideal would be to help us get up and then stay up and his performances would then secure both player and club a substantial pay day

Wouldn’t disagree with this but to keep our best players it’s probably going to take some commitment from the club to fill in the problem positions to make us competitive.... for me that’s 5 players min.

a quality forward who can finish more of the chances we create and give Pukki the competition he desperately needs

two central midfielders who can run EPL games... pace, power, energy and quality...

a left back unless they think McCallum can step up...

an adequate second choice keeper

... without this, we can’t expect our best to hang around.     May as well start recruiting now to help settle in and make promotion more certain.....

Unfortunately means we also need to start offloading players

On 02/01/2021 at 17:50, Feedthewolf said:

We had all this b*llocks in August and September though, with loads of posts bleating about how we were going to sell all five of our crown jewels, blah blah blah. Just calling this out now before it gets started in earnest. The only way anyone will leave in this window is if they throw their toys out the pram and demand a move, and only then if we get some serious dollar.

Of the three, I think Cantwell is the only one whose sale I would accept, as he only has 18 months left on his contract and may have indicated he doesn't want to sign a new one. Even so, I'm supremely confident in saying that none of those three will be sold in this window.

Like I said, if we keep hold of everyone then great, we as fans should be expecting nothing less as we're top of the league and promotion back to the EPL was the club's stated aim for this season, selling any of those 3 players does not contribute to that goal. There was a lot of talk over the summer with people believing we would/fearful that we would sell all 5 of our "crown jewels", that obviously didn't come to pass and the club (rightfully) came into a lot of praise for our summer transfer dealings, which did strengthen the squad in a number of key areas. As fans we all want the club to succeed and get promoted/win the league, I don't see how being opposed to selling the key players who can make that a reality is somehow an attack on the club or enough to make you so personally offended!

18 hours ago, king canary said:

May have been the case in the past but certainly not with the current executive management. We got superb sums for the Murphy twins, ensured the club's survival with the Maddison sale, got a decent fee for Brady etc. 

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

May have been the case in the past but certainly not with the current executive management. We got superb sums for the Murphy twins, ensured the club's survival with the Maddison sale, got a decent fee for Brady etc. 

Pritchard too.

Maddison is one of those where people try to claim it was cheap in hindsight when it was a record deal for a player with no Premier League experience. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, king canary said:

Pritchard too.

Maddison is one of those where people try to claim it was cheap in hindsight when it was a record deal for a player with no Premier League experience. 

And that was when we were mid-table, no chance of promotion and NEEDED to sell, it was publicly known.

• Like 2

Wouldn’t be adverse to pinching some of Arsenal’s young talent as suggested in the Emi deal. Don’t know them well enough to give an informed opinion about who... 

Ideally we get someone who Arsenal think won’t make it with them and then goes onto prove them wrong - plenty of examples of younger players leaving big teams and coming back stronger - including Emi himself!

Obviously I’d rather we kept him. Sell him this time next year, after another 6 months in Prem his price should be even higher. Can he be persuaded to wait?

Edited by Decemberists

Don't know much about Willock or Nelson, but Nelson seems the higher rated of the two.

Would they fit in with the recruitment plans and wage structure Webber has in place? I doubt it.

Really hope Emi stays until the end of the season at least

18 minutes ago, Decemberists said:

Wouldn’t be adverse to pinching some of Arsenal’s young talent as suggested in the Emi deal. Don’t know them well enough to give an informed opinion about who... 

Ideally we get someone who Arsenal think won’t make it with them and then goes onto prove them wrong - plenty of examples of younger players leaving big teams and coming back stronger - including Emi himself!

Obviously I’d rather we kept him. Sell him this time next year, after another 6 months in Prem his price should be even higher. Can he be persuaded to wait?

If it’s a loan, I’m not interested. Get the replacement in and reinvest the money where we need to. Arsenal are just trying to knock the price down by loaning us unwanted players for the season.

Was just reading reports that Arsenal are still sniffing around Emi. It's suggested £40m and a player. IMO we're looking strong and it would be ludicrous to sell Emi in this window, with our intentions to get promoted. But would £40m and say Nelson or Willock be a good deal?

A good deal may be, but not at this moment in time. It would send shock waves throughout the club which would see us tumble down the table. 🥵

6 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

If it’s a loan, I’m not interested. Get the replacement in and reinvest the money where we need to. Arsenal are just trying to knock the price down by loaning us unwanted players for the season.

I agree, definitely want someone permanent. A permanent deal we should be aiming to knock £5 million of asking price for Emi but getting our hands on a player valued at more like £10, otherwise we should just ask for it in cash. Any player coming to us needs to be in our favour.