Midlands Yellow

Brentford v Bournemouth

Been saying this for a while, but what Brentford have done over the last 5 seasons has been incredible. Knocked the academy on the head, and focused on a 'B' team and better player recruitment through innovative means. The result has seen them turn into a top Championship side, turning over a huge profit in player sales, whilst keeping the conveyor belt moving with near enough identical replacements,  both in terms of ability and style. Very impressive, especially considering the size of club they are. They make the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest a laughing stock with their huge unsustainable player wage bill, and lazy, predictable signings. 

I think Brentford will win the league this year. I think our style is similar in many ways, but Brentford have the edge in terms of team balance. They've beaten four EPL sides this year, as well as Bournemouth and a recent draw with ten men away to Watford. It's form you can't really back against. 

Edited by Il Pirata

12 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Been saying this for a while, but what Brentford have done over the last 5 seasons has been incredible. Knocked the academy on the head, and focused on a 'B' team and better player recruitment through innovative means. The result has seen them turn into a top Championship side, turning over a huge profit in player sales, whilst keeping the conveyor belt moving with near enough identical replacements,  both in terms of ability and style. Very impressive, especially considering the size of club they are. They make the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest a laughing stock with their huge unsustainable player wage bill, and lazy, predictable signings. 

I think Brentford will win the league this year. I think our style is similar in many ways, but Brentford have the edge in terms of team balance. They've beaten four EPL sides this year, as well as Bournemouth and a recent draw with ten men away to Watford. It's form you can't really back against. 

They have been a progressive side for a number of years now. I would like to see them in the EPL (with us). Good manager too who plays attractive attacking football. All there looks a good fit.

Behind most football success stories there is usually a stack of cash. In the case of Brentford it’s Mathew Benham. Googling him suggests he made his “multi millions” from online gambling but he is sufficiently private enough not to reveal his  income sources . There is even a suggestion of additional family money . I’ve no idea. 

No question that Brentford have spent money successfully, but spend it they have . The new stadium , underwritten by Benham , is estimated at £80m . Key here seems to be Brentford owned Griffin Park . 

interesting twist on the academy set up . A few clubs already starting to follow this . 

5 minutes ago, sonyc said:

They have been a progressive side for a number of years now. I would like to see them in the EPL (with us). Good manager too who plays attractive attacking football. All there looks a good fit.

Yeah, I wouldn't be disappointed with that! My gut feeling though, is that Brentford will be joined by Bournemouth in the top two. Playoffs for us with Swansea, Watford, and one other. Not trying to be too negative about our chances, but the way we've snuck results recently can't go on for ever. We've definitely ridden our luck, which is probably deserved due to our rotten luck with injuries. Furthermore, I feel January could be a disruptive window for us again, especially with Max and Emi being heavily linked away. 

I think once we get (touch wood) Hernandez, Rupp and Placheta up to full fitness, we will improve again. But by that point we may be without the likes of Emi, and be into February. 

6 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Behind most football success stories there is usually a stack of cash. In the case of Brentford it’s Mathew Benham. Googling him suggests he made his “multi millions” from online gambling but he is sufficiently private enough not to reveal his  income sources . There is even a suggestion of additional family money . I’ve no idea. 

No question that Brentford have spent money successfully, but spend it they have . The new stadium , underwritten by Benham , is estimated at £80m . Key here seems to be Brentford owned Griffin Park . 

interesting twist on the academy set up . A few clubs already starting to follow this . 

True. But they've been operating sustainably. Look at the money they've received in transfer fees for the likes of Watkins, Benrahma, Neal Maupay, Scott Hogan, Harley Dean, Romain Sawyers, Jota, Chris Mepham, Konsa, Andre Gray, Ryan Woods and many more.... All players they've recruited for next to nothing. Very impressive, and glad to see Norwich now operating in a similar way, albeit with emphasis on an academy too. 

Brentford, Bournemouth, Watford, Reading, Swansea, Norwich.

That's the league title race as it now seems. Cannot even see a late arrival, which can often happen.

Our good friend Benjamin Button never ceases to mention the strength of parachute clubs in his enthusiastic and well-informed broadcasts. He currently sees the Championship currently aping the Premier League with six elite/moneyed outfits pulling away from the rest.

Whether this is a temporary phenomena, or whether it is in fact the case is not for me to argue with, but he does tend to live and breath the game.

As far as the top six goes, there doesn't seem to be the width of a sheet of Kleenex between them. It's anybody's guess as to who will come out top, imo. We do seem to currently have the strongest armoury overall, but then I'm biased.

22 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

That's the league title race as it now seems. Cannot even see a late arrival, which can often happen.

Our good friend Benjamin Button never ceases to mention the strength of parachute clubs in his enthusiastic and well-informed broadcasts. He currently sees the Championship currently aping the Premier League with six elite/moneyed outfits pulling away from the rest.

Whether this is a temporary phenomena, or whether it is in fact the case is not for me to argue with, but he does tend to live and breath the game.

As far as the top six goes, there doesn't seem to be the width of a sheet of Kleenex between them. It's anybody's guess as to who will come out top, imo. We do seem to currently have the strongest armoury overall, but then I'm biased.

Agree, bar Reading. I don't think they're good enough for top 2. Hard to split the rest. Barnsley are a team to watch for a play off place! On a terrific run, could be the surprise package. 

1 hour ago, Il Pirata said:

Agree, bar Reading. I don't think they're good enough for top 2. Hard to split the rest. Barnsley are a team to watch for a play off place! On a terrific run, could be the surprise package. 

Reading? With that forward line? They were denied it to a man last night and had to rely on the ageing Baldock as sole attacker. They still managed to give that excellent Swansea defence, with it's clean sheets  adding up, more than a few awkward moments.

I am unaware of the strength in depth of their squad though.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Supreme chokers 3 chances last season to go up and blew every one, only needed one goal strategically placed to secure promotion in those games.  They must fear it will happen again.  They do need to lose soon to put a halt on their current run.

6 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

😝