Midlands Yellow

Brentford v Bournemouth

8 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The current scoreline puts Brentford 3 points behind us on the same games but keeps Bournemouth 6 points adrift with a game in hand so i would take 2-1 in all honesty.

Yup, don't disagree. What we didn't want was a B'mth win - &, praise be, it didn't happen!

• Like 1

Yep - Hopefully Reading can turnip a result and plough their way to something at the veg/vetch patch I mean Liberty...

2 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Yup, don't disagree. What we didn't want was a B'mth win - &, praise be, it didn't happen!

*praise Bees

( See what I did there ? )

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

A draw would have been the best result..but if there had to be a winner, I'd rather it be Btentford than Bournemouth

Yeh the gap to 3rd is the important one

I thought Swansea were decent at Carrow Road, missed some good chances from memory. I keep expecting them to fall away but they don’t concede many. I would think it 3 from the five mentioned.

21 minutes ago, Clint said:

It’s amazing what can happen when you stick crosses into the box rather than going back and forth outside the penalty area.

But we don't do that. We never have under Farke. He's got his own way of playing and has had since he came here. I don't think too many really like it though of course they like it when we win. Probably under sufferance because the football is the same win lose or draw.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Next up we need anything but a Swansea win as that would have them breathing down our necks. 

My thoughts exactly. Supporting Reading in this one (or a draw)

I'd rather have a point against a team we should have beaten, with more to work on, than a good but pointless, display against one of our rivals. We have made the gap between us and Bournemouth bigger, which we would all have taken, this time yesterday

• Like 1

I'll take that result with Brentford being on the same games played as us and still being 3 points below us. They are due a defeat and a bad run that's comes to everyone and also they have an extra game with distraction to play or games (is it two legs this season?) with the league cup semi. 

1 minute ago, Mutley said:

I'll take that result with Brentford being on the same games played as us and still being 3 points below us. They are due a defeat and a bad run that's comes to everyone and also they have an extra game with distraction to play or games (is it two legs this season?) with the league cup semi. 

That's a very good point. I was urging them to win against Newcastle. You never know but in the semi's or just before no-one will want to be injured and it may will affect the league performance.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its probably too early to plan but at this moment, a Swansea loss wouldn't do us any harm.

Small steps kg. Any advantage I'll take at anytime of the season from the teams we recognise as threats

Er, people do realise there’s more than half a season yet to go, don’t they.  All the ‘this result is better than that’ is just a little bit daft with so long to go....we don’t yet know who will be the biggest threats ( or indeed if we will remain in the top two ourselves).

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Er, people do realise there’s more than half a season yet to go, don’t they.  All the ‘this result is better than that’ is just a little bit daft with so long to go....we don’t yet know who will be the biggest threats ( or indeed if we will remain in the top two) 

We've got a fair idea of the biggest threats BP. 

To see them falter at any stage is a good thing. My own priority is worrying about my team, but when we are not playing I do get a warm glow when these perceived threats drop points etc.

You can carry on doing your thing. I'm going to carry on doing my thing (for over half a season 😉 ) 

• Like 1

Of course there’s some that will be there and remain, but others might not - you’d expect Bournemouth to be there or thereabouts, so right now I’d usually settle for them losing!  Brentford are a good side and have been for a number of seasons - but that is double sided, as they seem to lack a certain something to take the next step (and they have a dreadful playoff record).  I imagine they will at some point though and I’m sure many neutrals would be pleased to see them do so.

Edited by Branston Pickle

There may be more than half the season to go, but tonight's scores mean we have at least 3 points on the rest, possibly 4 on 3rd if Bmuff fail to win their game in hand.  Rather good.

I’d like someone to ask Zimmerman why he thought it was a good idea to grab him by the shoulder when was going nowhere 

4 hours ago, Clint said:

It’s amazing what can happen when you stick crosses into the box rather than going back and forth outside the penalty area.

steady old fellow

beware of where this could lead

Vector Cartoon of Angry Mob Stick Characters with Tools as Weapons

5 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Brentford are the best team in this league, in my opinion. They're really building a head of steam. 

Agreed, both Brentford and Bournemouth look very good we need to up our game a few levels. Before Christmas I was saying we own this league but we are now looking over our shoulder at two teams playing much better football than us.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

steady old fellow

beware of where this could lead

Vector Cartoon of Angry Mob Stick Characters with Tools as Weapons

Again pointless and as Nutty says our style of play is our style of play and has been since Farke came in.

If you don't like it then say that when we score our free flowing goals not just when we don't win a game.

Stick to your beliefs and then you might earn a crumb of respect.

Instead most on here cream themselves at some of the goals we score and our build up play when we win then complain we don't just 'get it in there' when we lose.

• Like 1

Anyone concerned our form may taper off throughout January with all the unwelcome distractions that may bring, mainly regarding Emi and Todd? Could be a testing period. 

Brentford seem to be finding a bit of form at the moment, and they looked to have a settled squad now. 

Is it really true that we don't put crosses into the box? My recollection is that Aarons and Placheta have put several good ones in, but we seldom score from them. I can only remember the the own goal from an Aarons cross. 

Just now, horsefly said:

Is it really true that we don't put crosses into the box? My recollection is that Aarons and Placheta have put several good ones in, but we seldom score from them. I can only remember the the own goal from an Aarons cross. 

We do put crosses in but unless you score, or create a corner, it is just surrendering possession. In my opinion we have been more direct this season with some quality long passes.

Indeed @nutty nigel

The way we play puts us at risk of breakout counter-attack - almost especially - as we overload the opposition penalty area.

’Throwing high crosses into the box' therefore makes no sense on a number of levels:

1. We are not good in the air

2. we are really good at short (ultimately low-risk) passes

3. We have a sharp finisher with good movement 

4. other teams are set up to defend that kind of ball

5. we are good at low driven crosses and do play them

6. Nothing we do is random

7. we would make ourselves strategically weaker at one of our highest points of strength

Parma

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 3