Midlands Yellow

Brentford v Bournemouth

To be fair these are both good sides and capable of finishing above us. Bournemouth probably have the most expensive squad on paper in the division and Brentford are perhaps the best footballing side in the division, Toney does give them pace and an aerial presence that enables them to vary their play.

our games at home to these will be crucial I believe. 

0-1.

Bang, bang the Cherries have the edge on us, dare I say it, and especially in attack where their speedy incisive play makes our intent seem like attacking constipation.

Come on the Bees then.

6 minutes ago, Big O said:

To be fair these are both good sides and capable of finishing above us. Bournemouth probably have the most expensive squad on paper in the division and Brentford are perhaps the best footballing side in the division, Toney does give them pace and an aerial presence that enables them to vary their play.

our games at home to these will be crucial I believe. 

Maybe its not a popular thing to say but both these teams are very dynamic - they move the ball quicker and better than we do. We have looked pedestrian until we start to run out of time or go behind. I wouldn't be surprised if they occupy 1st and 2nd positions come April. I totally agree with your thoughts on the games we have against them at our place. Win those and we would be odds on for the automatics I think.

I still have a nagging feeling we are not quite there. We are a very good side but those predictor sites that put Bournemouth top may well be right even if they annoy me.

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Maybe its not a popular thing to say but both these teams are very dynamic - they move the ball quicker and better than we do. We have looked pedestrian until we start to run out of time or go behind. I wouldn't be surprised if they occupy 1st and 2nd positions come April. I totally agree with your thoughts on the games we have against them at our place. Win those and we would be odds on for the automatics I think.

I still have a nagging feeling we are not quite there. We are a very good side but those predictor sites that put Bournemouth top may well be right even if they annoy me.

Bournemouth haven’t really had an injury crisis to contend with but they have a really strong spine that I would think in the main be too much for most sides but they are beatable and january might be quite interesting for them too. Players like Lewis cook and brooks must be attractive for good premier league sides.

it’s going to be exciting that is for sure. 

"Bournemouth haven’t really had an injury crisis to contend with ....."

and we have both Placheta and Hernandez to welcome back. Either will make all the difference, imo.

They would have done last night for sure.

10 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

"Bournemouth haven’t really had an injury crisis to contend with ....."

and we have both Placheta and Hernandez to welcome back. Either will make all the difference, imo.

They would have done last night for sure.

We've badly needed our wingers (and Quintilla for that matter). The biggest miss out of all the injuries perhaps?(now that we know McGovern can do a good job and the defenders have held up reasonably okay)

Edited by sonyc

I can't help feeling there is an element that BOTH of these sides want to play football, which is not something attributed to a lot of the sides we have played this season. They both know that if either try and defend and play the damage limitation game, they will not progress their promotion push and put a dent in their rivals efforts. They both need to be proactive in looking for a win

Perhaps we need to play more teams like these 🙂 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Careful, that kind of opinion doesn't sit well on here.

32 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Maybe its not a popular thing to say but both these teams are very dynamic - they move the ball quicker and better than we do. We have looked pedestrian until we start to run out of time or go behind.

IMO I think 'pedestrian' is a bit harsh - patient is probably a better word. But worth remembering it is our style of play. We look to play relatively safe passes at a lowish tempo to keep hold of the ball and work space and then we spring an attack with a couple of sharp incisive passes etc. 

I don't think other teams playing more 'dynamically' means they are better than us per se, they just have a different play style which is less focused on controlling possession but with more of an eye on breaking quickly. 

Whether you prefer the fast build up to our patient approach is a seperate issue, but I don't think it means either team are better than us. They just do it differently.

Our style has certainly served us well so far this season, although it is mighty frustrating when the games don't go our way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Careful, that kind of opinion doesn't sit well on here.

😁 He’s right though, we were miles  off the pace compared with these two tonight.

Edited by Van wink

8 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

IMO I think 'pedestrian' is a bit harsh - patient is probably a better word. But worth remembering it is our style of play. We look to play relatively safe passes at a lowish tempo to keep hold of the ball and work space and then we spring an attack with a couple of sharp incisive passes etc. 

I don't think other teams playing more 'dynamically' means they are better than us per se, they just have a different play style which is less focused on controlling possession but with more of an eye on breaking quickly. 

Whether you prefer the fast build up to our patient approach is a seperate issue, but I don't think it means either team are better than us. They just do it differently.

Our style has certainly served us well so far this season, although it is mighty frustrating when the games don't go our way.

I cannot disagree with the doing of things differently nor that our style has served up results (top of the table). My observations are really (I think) about watching leagues over the years and you just get a feel (intuition?) don't you? That you're watching something good and that it is likely to be successful. Our 18/19 season, the Lambert years in parts. Seeing a young Frank Lampard and knowing he would be some player, seeing Wes play for Blackpool etc etc. So, that is what I base my opinion on. It is purely subjective, granted.

These two teams look head and shoulders better than Swansea and Watford.  And i believe we are ahead of these two named. I always hope to be wrong! They make a good watch though don't they?

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Do wonder if it’s partly about the players we have in midfield, we could do with a player or two with Skipp’s tenacity who have the vision of Vrancic to produce those early penetrating passes, a player who can get us further forward quicker.... sadly, we don’t have one!   

20 minutes ago, Van wink said:

😁 He’s right though, we were miles  off the pace compared with these two tonight.

We were off the pace full stop.

I think we really miss Onel. Very underrated player. Fast, strong, tricky, direct, he scares the bejesus out of defences. He doesn't produce as much as he should, but the opposition ignore him at their peril.

It’s amazing what can happen when you stick crosses into the box rather than going back and forth outside the penalty area.

Yeah Brentford are our biggest threat I think. If they do see this out they’ll be unbeaten in 15 games, winning 7 out of the last 10. If Bournemouth can snatch a goal back that would be a perfect result.

Swansea failing to win against Reading in a bit would be very nice too.

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

COYCherries! Need to get that draw back on track ......

The current scoreline puts Brentford 3 points behind us on the same games but keeps Bournemouth 6 points adrift with a game in hand so i would take 2-1 in all honesty.

8 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

We were off the pace full stop.

I think we really miss Onel. Very underrated player. Fast, strong, tricky, direct, he scares the bejesus out of defences. He doesn't produce as much as he should, but the opposition ignore him at their peril.

I've said the same earlier - Hernandez and Placheta give us pace and some unpredictability. Looking forward to when they return. Plus that cameo by Mumba - he looked to have something about him.

Happy for Bournemouth to lose. Didn't much care for that slightly sour manager they have (Tyndall) . On Sky recently he was struggling to be gracious whereas  for Daniel it would have been no effort