Sign in to follow this  
Mullet

We fare better with Josh Martin on the pitch

IMO we perform better with Josh on the pitch. He has impressed me since pre season and he gives us something different.

I believe our winning run was in big part due to Josh Martin maybe he is more direct, the educated footballers will know better than I.

Since Todd Cantwel has come back in our form has dipped a little. Albeit only two games. I'm not saying that's a reflection of Todd, but the fact we become a little predictable when both him and Emi play together. Martin is a different type of player, so perhaps your right. 

It would be interesting to see Vrancic deeper, and two pace merchants in Placheta and Hernandez flanking Buendia. Will that happen? Probbaly not. But I wouldn't mind seeing it. My belief is it's one of from Todd or Emi, not both. It was persisted with last season and didn't really work. And our best form this season has generally been without both of them starting together. 

Best I've seen us at this season was v Cardiff when Todd and Emi both started. I'm personally not sure pacey wingers help us break down a compact and packed qpr defence.

• Like 1

I think it varies from game to game.  The trick is finding the right combination for the match concerned.  I would prefer to see a pacy winger such as Martin/Argos/Placheta on the pitch to offer something different alongside Buendia and one of either Dowell or Cantwell - or even a winger on either side of Buendia.  Once Quintilla is back in, that will help, but really having two pacy players on both wings gives the opposition an awful lot to deal with.

Martin is still quite raw imo and very early in his senior career, but that is not to say he won't have a big part to play if he gets his teeth into it, but the Reading match perhaps shows he needs to be used carefully, at least for a while. Maybe better for him to come on later in a match to inject a bit of pace.

Todd and Emi were great against Cardiff but I do wonder if they’re a bit too similar (although I’d also say Martin is a similar kind of wide player as them as well).

I’d rather have one of them on one side and then a pacy player like placheta or Hernandez on the other side. You could then swap their sides depending on how full backs are coping. Then also if Emi is having a bad game swap for Todd and placheta for Hernandez.

18 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I think it varies from game to game.  The trick is finding the right combination for the match concerned.  I would prefer to see a pacy winger such as Martin/Argos/Placheta on the pitch to offer something different alongside Buendia and one of either Dowell or Cantwell - or even a winger on either side of Buendia.  Once Quintilla is back in, that will help, but really having two pacy players on both wings gives the opposition an awful lot to deal with.

Martin is still quite raw imo and very early in his senior career, but that is not to say he won't have a big part to play if he gets his teeth into it, but the Reading match perhaps shows he needs to be used carefully, at least for a while. Maybe better for him to come on later in a match to inject a bit of pace.

Does Martin have pace?

I rather like the look of Martin. I think he is a very intelligent footballer and we should give him tons of game time to get him to reach his potential. In time I think he'll be one of our best attacking midfielders and he has the potential of outdoing Cantwell very soon. 

Josh has great potential but has a lot to learn defensively. The combo of him and Sorensen on the left was deeply worrying. A more central role would play to his strengths but there's a lot of competition for that space.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Best I've seen us at this season was v Cardiff when Todd and Emi both started. I'm personally not sure pacey wingers help us break down a compact and packed qpr defence.

Not to discredit too much, but Cardiff's form has plummeted. I think they were there for the taking to some extent.