Sign in to follow this  
City fan

This isn't negative

Are some cracks beginning to appear in city. In my opinion, they need a bit of a shake up. Maybe a couple players in and out during the January fransfer window. 

Tbh we’ve not had the best home form this entire season so this was just a continuation of that - before tonight, drawing vs PNE, Coventry and Millwall, losing to Derby, struggling to see off Sheff Wed, Wycombe and Forest in particular.  We just haven’t seemed able to transfer dominance in possession into decent chances quite often enough and are just a bit leaky at the back.  

Oddly, we’ve actually played relatively few of the top sides at home, with all the teams currently lying 3rd to 10th in the table still to come to FCR .  It’ll be interesting to see if our home form can pick up over the second half of the season.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I think that there's a way to play against Norwich that teams have sussed and Norwich struggle to break down...
Play a 10-0-0 then catch us on the break.
I seem to remember quite a lot of teams doing that in the '17-'18 season and it was very frustrating (Hull & Derby at home IIRC).

4 minutes ago, K Lo said:

I think that there's a way to play against Norwich that teams have sussed and Norwich struggle to break down...
Play a 10-0-0 then catch us on the break.
I seem to remember quite a lot of teams doing that in the '17-'18 season and it was very frustrating (Hull & Derby at home IIRC).

And when you get the ball attack us down the left as the player there is doing a job of filling in as our left backs are injured, and put your best forward up against Zimmerman. To be fair any team playing against any team would target any full back that was filling in.

• Like 1

Only really been few matches we have managed to win by more than the one goal.

It's quite a flaw of ours- We can dominate a game, grab a goal and yet still that goal will most likely be the only one we score and you always get that feeling that despite all the possestion, all the chances.. That all it would take is one oppisition attack to score and peg us back

We're creating more chances than pretty much every team in this division. It might still be the highest in the league. We need our midfielders to be more clinical. Vrancic was unusually massively wasteful last night.

Often I find myself wishing Mario was playing when he isn't, but disappointed when he is. Regardless of whether McLean was fouled in the buildup to QPRs penalty or not, Vrancic has to make that tackle or take the player out.

Buendia needs to be in a more central role imo.

38 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We're creating more chances than pretty much every team in this division. It might still be the highest in the league. We need our midfielders to be more clinical. Vrancic was unusually massively wasteful last night.

I'm not the biggest stat fan especially possession and shots on target. These can easily give a false impression of a game with passing around at the back and shooting from everywhere. The stat that does ring closest to the real way a game went in my mind is expected goals and big chances. In the last 3 games our big chances is 3 to us and 6 against. This is slightly messed up by the Watford game where they had 3 to our 0 but it to my mind shows that yes we are getting a lot of possession and in good areas but we are not creating the clear cut chances that Pukki lives for. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately for Vrancic he's only good for 75 mis, wish Farke had have subbed him before. Love him, but not blessed with stamina

I said to my Dad after the Watford game teams have sussed out how to get success against Norwich and I can see plenty more teams utilising the same tactics against us, the following match Q.P.R come and do the same and take a way a point and probably should have went back to West London with all 3 (was the miss of the season at then end).  I thought we were vulnerable down our left hand side against Watford but I put that down to being up against Sarr but Q.P.R looked to exploit us down our left as well. 

Edited by Alex

9 hours ago, Alex said:

I said to my Dad after the Watford game teams have sussed out how to get success against Norwich and I can see plenty more teams utilising the same tactics against us, the following match Q.P.R come and do the same and take a way a point and probably should have went back to West London with all 3 (was the miss of the season at then end).  I thought we were vulnerable down our left hand side against Watford but I put that down to being up against Sarr but Q.P.R looked to exploit us down our left as well. 

Chris goreham on commentary said in the 14 games Sorensen has been at left back, each team we have faced have attacked mainly down the right hand side. 

12 hours ago, Canaries north said:

I'm not the biggest stat fan especially possession and shots on target. These can easily give a false impression of a game with passing around at the back and shooting from everywhere. The stat that does ring closest to the real way a game went in my mind is expected goals and big chances. In the last 3 games our big chances is 3 to us and 6 against. This is slightly messed up by the Watford game where they had 3 to our 0 but it to my mind shows that yes we are getting a lot of possession and in good areas but we are not creating the clear cut chances that Pukki lives for. 

Oh I'm really not a huge fan of these made up stats - what may I ask, quantifies a "big chance"?

Edited by chicken

lol

I know but i honestly can't watch him wrestle people to the floor anymore or try anymore of his sweeping diagonal balls that don't get within 10 yards of the player!

On 29/12/2020 at 23:04, City fan said:

Are some cracks beginning to appear in city. In my opinion, they need a bit of a shake up. Maybe a couple players in and out during the January fransfer window. 

Famewo and McCallum? 

Striker in if we've got any money, get Idah out on loan.

That's honestly all I'd do, unless the club don't think Hernandez can't get fit and stay fit.... in which case a bit of pace on the flanks wouldn't go amiss.

10 hours ago, overthebordercanary said:

Chris goreham on commentary said in the 14 games Sorensen has been at left back, each team we have faced have attacked mainly down the right hand side. 

This targeting has definitely happened.

With Forest though, their best players just happen to be right sided.

We do attack more on the right side as well. I hope Byram gets a new body soon and stays fit for a change. Our third strip could have been hospital scrubs.

On 30/12/2020 at 23:18, chicken said:

Oh I'm really not a huge fan of these made up stats - what may I ask, quantifies a "big chance"?

I believe it's chances where you would expect the team to score. A number of sites produce them and expected goals as well. The Watford game is my main example. A friend of mine said how did we not win that game after not watching it but seeing the possession and shot stats. Watford had very good chances for more than 1 goal and we never made Foster make a good save. I keep hearing about how many shots we have but so many of them are pot shots that any keeper should save. All I'm trying and probably failing to say is people who quote shot stats are not getting an accurate picture of a game. We won on possession and shots but the reality of the game was Watford could and probably should have won by more.