Branston Pickle

Keeper for Saturday

We’ve been told Krul wouldn’t be fit, but do we think he might be now that McGovern is injured and presumably out?  Barden did little wrong in his 45 minutes but it’s a tough ask relying on age-group players.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

We’ve been told Krul wouldn’t be fit, but do we think he might be now that McGovern is injured and presumably out?  Barden did little wrong in his 45 minutes but it’s a tough ask relying on age-group players.

If Krul isn't fit for Saturday he isn't fit. If we have to go with Barden in goal for the full match then just get on with it. 

I would far sooner that than Krul come back too soon - injure himself again and be out for another 6 weeks or so. 

• Like 1

The way I see it, there's one more league game until 16th January. That's 2 1/2 weeks to get Krul and/or McGovern fit. 

Give Barden a chance v Barnsley and in the cup. Great experience. That buys a decent amount of time to get TK right for the second half of the season. 

• Like 1

I’m more concerned about the bench tbh, we are somewhat down to the bare bones.  It’s an issue of our own making so I guess we just suck it up and make do....but I believe we could do an emergency loan?

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

In the presser after the match Farke said that Krul still isn't back in training so looks like zero chance of him playing on Saturday. 

They suggested on the commentary last night that if Krul was about 90% fit on Saturday they might throw him in now McGovern’s out, although I think this is a risky idea. However, from what we’ve heard about Krul recently I’m very doubtful he will even be able to make the bench, so I think it will be Barden between the sticks and McCracken as the sub. I would name the same for the cup match as well, as we don’t need a good cup run and we’re not looking to win the cup this season, we’re looking to win promotion. I would also start Omotoye and Omobamidele to let them get some experience and give some of our first choice players a rest - the last thing we want to happen is for one of our key players to pick up a long term injury in a cup match

33 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

we don’t need a good cup run and we’re not looking to win the cup this season, we’re looking to win promotion. 

I really dislike this mentality. If we are in the champs we don’t want a cup run as we want promotion and if we are in the prem we don’t want a cup run as trying to survive (appreciate that’s not your words Hazzajet, just something I hear a lot). So when exactly do we want a cup run, do we need to go back to league 1?

For me, this is the season we should really be trying for a decent cup run. We’ve got a larger squad than we’ll probably ever have again in preparation for the congested fixtures. Appreciate we’ve got injuries and will continue to do so, but the large squad should allow us a relatively fit match day squad while the revolving door of the treatment room keeps spinning. Even if it does mean using youngsters earlier than Farke might like to bolster the team if required as per earlier in the season (and I guess even now with GK situation)

In short, I doubt we’ll have this big a squad again any time soon...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vazzza said:

So when exactly do we want a cup run, do we need to go back to league 1?

Never, it's become a pointless competition that pales against the riches of the PL (either being there or getting there).

They should bin the league cup completely IMHO, and I couldn't care less about the FA cup either as most of the big sides simply play reserves/kids.

They should certainly have given the league cup the boot for this season, given how with a September start it was 4-5 weeks shorter than usual due to the pandemic and with a fixed deadline of Euro 2020 (unless that gets binned/moved again)

Edited by Branston Pickle

The unique thing about a cup run this season is that it costs.

With no crowds there's no share of the gate and all the expenses will still be there.

I can't recall the stages that reward money sets in, but it's hardly likely to be worth the effort or the risk, unless we progress far. 

No risking our main players against Coventry and then see how it goes from there. I'm actually less bothered this time around than normal. We've had a feast of fixtures already.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

The unique thing about a cup run this season is that it costs.

With no crowds there's no share of the gate and all the expenses will still be there.

I can't recall the stages that reward money sets in, but it's hardly likely to be worth the effort or the risk, unless we progress far. 

If you see it this way, why would the club play U23, U18 etc fixtures?  I would have thought the media coverage gives enough income to cover the cost of the game.

1 minute ago, Newtopia said:

If you see it this way, why would the club play U23, U18 etc fixtures?  I would have thought the media coverage gives enough income to cover the cost of the game.

I don't quite get that. The U23 and U18 fixtures are part of the youth programme and played for development. In addition the U23s are the nearest thing to the old reserve side.

Many mourn the passing of the reserves, games needed to keep back up players match fit and bring on youngsters. They were played on the Carrow Road pitch and often had a decent attendance. I was a regular as a youngster.

I wouldn't have thought that there would be much media coverage for the Coventry game ... oh! hang on it's on BT. You are right. It's a puzzle why this game is selected though.