Worst referee I've ever seen

8 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Which idiot have we got on Sat ?

Norwich City v Barnsley (15:00)

MICHAEL SALISBURY

Sam Lewis and Robert Merchant

Fourth Official : Alan Dale

20 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Oh dear. You really have an axe to grind.

So how about the Chilean goalkeeper Rojas who deliberately cut his face, accusing the crowd of hitting him with a flare, in 1989 to get the game stopped and awarded to Chile so they would qualify for the WC?

How far do you want to go with scandals? The White Sox? Maradona? Rose Ruiz?

We all know that football players behaviour toward officials is not good and I pointed out that it doesn't happen in rugby but if it does it is punished.

Go back through the thread and see who dragged rugby into it (clue: it wasn't me). It's 2021 - time to stop grinding your axe KG. 

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Go back through the thread and see who dragged rugby into it (clue: it wasn't me). It's 2021 - time to stop grinding your axe KG. 

It wasn't me either. 

I wasn't axe grinding either. I wasn't blaming the officials. 

Heres to a Happy and Prosperous New Year. 

On 30/12/2020 at 17:56, Graham Paddons Beard said:

As I am now on my soap box Wolfie I will make one more point. 

It isn't difficult to officiate a game with 22 Elite athletes , with all of the variants involved , it's nigh on impossible. The Dutch KNVB admitted this and looked for a solution. 

And as you have been a ref you will know that the most difficult part of the game is angles. I know this is old fashioned but - you run your diagonal , and the linos run their lines, so in theory all quadrants are covered. But this clearly isn't possible .

So along comes an answer for officials - called VAR. I've written a few lengthy posts on this so I wont drone on again, but in its simplest form it helps referees. It gives refs the benefits of the angles provided by the many cameras in a ground.

BUT 

POGMOL , and others have not welcomed it as they should . They have two main objectives - consistency (which I get) and not making the ref look foolish (which I don't. )

When VAR was trialled it was done so on a continuous basis.  It was done on the understanding that if a ref gave a decision that could quickly and easily be changed , or reconsidered, it would be . 

To quote 

VAR was conceived as part of an ambitious project conducted by The Royal Netherlands Football Association (KNVB) called Refereeing 2.0. Its aim? To reinvent refereeing. "With all the 4G and Wi-Fi in stadia today, the referee is the only person who can’t see exactly what is happening and he’s actually the only one who should," says Lukas Brud, IFAB secretary at the International Football Association (IFAB). "We knew we had to protect referees from making mistakes that everyone can see immediately." 

Consistency - The Refs decided that only certain decisions shoal be referred. This was the first nail in the coffin. 

Exhibit. A

NCFC vs Spurs - ball is passed to Dele Ali , lino flags for offside , Dele stops play . No review although later footage suggested it was "close" 

NCFC v Palace. Ball is played to Wickham - lino flags but Wickham puts the ball into the net. BECAUSE HE DOES THIS the decision gets reviewed. And the goal allowed. 

what a ludicrous set of circumstances. VAR solution is to allow play to run on without the flag, but POGMOL said no. the lino must flag , but late? Utter nonsense. 

Second nail in the coffin?

To start with POGMOL (out of step with most Associations) said the ref doesn't need to review the decision on the TV beside the pitch. Even POGMOL has to agree this is madness so they do allow it, but clearly don't encourage it? Why not? 

POGMOL have not embraced the technology. 

I'll stop now . 

And Lakey thinks he likes a rant about VAR ! 

PS Apologies for POGMOL - although it’s funnier . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

18 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

And Lakey thinks he likes a rant about VAR ! 

PS Apologies for POGMOL - although it’s funnier . 

The problem is lack of accountability for those creating the framework. PGMOL is a limited company separately accountable to the FA, the Premier League, and the EFL. So where do you start in tackling the separate shortcomings of refereeing in the EFL and Premier League regarding the different issues owing to one using VAR and one not?

Edited by littleyellowbirdie