Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

Worst referee I've ever seen

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I thought Cantwell's was softer. I also don't think Pukki has the slightest reputation for simulation. I do think some of you are falling over yourselves trying to find a way to blame our team for the obvious ineptitude of last night's officials.

I always find it funny how people only point out how bad refs are when our result is disappointing, nobody cares when you win 3-0.

Biggest fail of the night was our failure to convert our chances, as simple as that, no excuses... must become more clinical. 

Yes the refs in the Championship are crap... I still prefer it to VAR.

Feels like people spent a year chanting "f*ck VAR", and are now craving it again.

Dodgy refereeing decisions are part and parcel of the game we all love, sometimes you benefit from them and sometimes they go against you. 

The worst decision of the night was down to the linesman. I think the worst thing the referee did was fail to notice their Finnish lads persistent fouling in the second half... dished out 9 yellow cards in the game, but none of them to him. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I read the offside rule after the match did you? Its open to interpretation.

You are well known for being blinkered about the club. I am equally a fan and have been for a very long time so don't suppose you are any more of a fan than me.

I just have an open approach to us and am quite happy to say when it isn't the refs fault we couldn't beat a team close to relegation.

Ah I'm blinkered and you're just the realist!!

All makes sense..

Only...

I know the offside rule and you don't 😅

55 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I used to rate Graham Poll, didn't let himself get bulled by the big name players.

More of your comedy gold TVB.

Graham Poll was once told to "f**k off" 27 times in one game by Wayne Rooney - and no, Rooney wasn't even booked. 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I always find it funny how people only point out how bad refs are when our result is disappointing, nobody cares when you win 3-0.

Biggest fail of the night was our failure to convert our chances, as simple as that, no excuses... must become more clinical. 

Like the one Cantwell scored that was incorrectly disallowed you mean? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Ah I'm blinkered and you're just the realist!!

All makes sense..

Only...

I know the offside rule and you don't 😅

The only part open to interpretation is whether the assistant somehow determined Todd had gained an advantage and become active by taking a couple of steps towards the ball when it is first played to Pukki.

This clearly wasn't what Todd was penalised for, or play would have been brought back to this position.

Therefore any "interpretation" or "I can see why he gave it" is nothing more than posturing or looking for something to have a moan about.

Hello

I know it's all emotional but human beings make mistakes and if football fans continually complain about referees there will be fewer refs and on the balance of probability the quality of refs on average will decline. Then VAR could become ref by robot. And of course the robots could be programmed to support Ipswich or vote Democrat if in the US?

Complain about the individual decision at the time dont abuse the person.

Goodbye

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Besthorpe-48 said:

Hello

I know it's all emotional but human beings make mistakes and if football fans continually complain about referees there will be fewer refs and on the balance of probability the quality of refs on average will decline. Then VAR could become ref by robot. And of course the robots could be programmed to support Ipswich or vote Democrat if in the US?

Complain about the individual decision at the time dont abuse the person.

Goodbye

No need - the humans voted for Biden over Trump by a margin of over 8 million. 

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't know if you mean me by 'people' if so you're wrong.

I didn't realise this was a Nutty Nigel thread brought to us by Nutty Nigel, I didn't even instigate the conversation with you. 

No, I'm not talking about you, its apparently you that wants to talk about you. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 hours ago, Ian said:

Like the one Cantwell scored that was incorrectly disallowed you mean? 

Thread title: "Worst referee I've ever seen"

Cantwell Goal: Disallowed due to linesman's flag. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I didn't realise this was a Nutty Nigel thread brought to us by Nutty Nigel, I didn't even instigate the conversation with you. 

No, I'm not talking about you, its apparently you that wants to talk about you. 

So I just wondered why you quoted me and then posted something that had nothing to do with my post you quoted.

I risked dipping my toe back in thinking things may have changed. They haven't. 

As you were TVB.

12 hours ago, sonyc said:

David Elleray....that takes me back. He had a quiet air of the headmaster about him (for obvious reasons) and tended to be fair. Wonder how he might fair though in the modern game?

Rugby union has good refs but it is such a different game and in football matches the calls are quite complex at times. Most of all though its the money that has brought such a big spotlight onto officialdom hasn't it?!

I'd say there are plenty of complexities to rugby union, and the decision-making is every bit as tough in and around the scrum and the breakdown.

I was wondering how long it would take someone to mention rugby union on this thread! Could it be that the refs are 'good' because they're given space and respect to make their decisions, and even the fans are largely supportive of the officials? There's obviously a cause-and-effect argument at play here, but in my opinion the way the FA has allowed rampant abuse, dissent and surrounding of match officials over many years is the reason why it perpetuates itself off the field; on the terraces, in the media and at grassroots level.

The best thing the FA have done in the last 30 years is the recent introduction of sin bins for dissent at grassroots level. Statistics in trials showed that dissent reduced by around a third, and playing 'short handed' for 10 minutes would be enough of a deterrent for other players to be pulling players away from referees and telling them to shut up.

It's about time the FA finally grasped the nettle and clamped down on it. If the players and coaches show more respect, and the media show more respect, in time you'll see more respect on the terraces and in the amateur ranks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Thread title: "Worst referee I've ever seen"

Cantwell Goal: Disallowed due to linesman's flag. 

'Linesmen' ,have been called Assistant Referees for sometime now. They play an active part in Refereeing decisions. If you're gonna split hairs, split the right ones eh?😇 

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

So I just wondered why you quoted me and then posted something that had nothing to do with my post you quoted.

I risked dipping my toe back in thinking things may have changed. They haven't. 

As you were TVB.

You started the conversation by quoting me you plonker? 

I said that Norwich may have developed a reputation among refs for going down a bit easily, particularly after the controversial Aarons penalty, and that may be why decisions aren't going our way. 

You then questioned whether I was talking about the Cantwell penalty.

I pointed out that a few other posters had talked about the Pukki incidents, which is what I was referring to. I think the first would have been soft, we might have had a shout at the second pull back. 

You then said that some of us were "over yourselves trying to find a way to blame our team"

I said:  "I always find it funny how people only point out how bad refs are when our result is disappointing, nobody cares when you win 3-0"

You took that personally, you shouldn't have, I was talking about the thread as a whole... we don't get 4 page threads about the quality of refereeing when decisions go our way, it was a remark about football fans in general being a bit fickle.

Every so often you do get a game where both sets of fans question the quality of the refereeing, can't be bothered to check the QPR forum to see if this is one of them, but you don't tend to hear much from the fans of a winning team when dodgy decisions have gone your way.

In terms of what the FA or refs union should be seriously scrutinising I think its just the dodgy linesman's call for the Cantwell goal. The ref, when watching the game back, might regret not carding their big Finnish lad for persistent fouling... about 4 fouls in 10 minutes early in that second half.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

38 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'd say there are plenty of complexities to rugby union, and the decision-making is every bit as tough in and around the scrum and the breakdown.

I was wondering how long it would take someone to mention rugby union on this thread! Could it be that the refs are 'good' because they're given space and respect to make their decisions, and even the fans are largely supportive of the officials? There's obviously a cause-and-effect argument at play here, but in my opinion the way the FA has allowed rampant abuse, dissent and surrounding of match officials over many years is the reason why it perpetuates itself off the field; on the terraces, in the media and at grassroots level.

The best thing the FA have done in the last 30 years is the recent introduction of sin bins for dissent at grassroots level. Statistics in trials showed that dissent reduced by around a third, and playing 'short handed' for 10 minutes would be enough of a deterrent for other players to be pulling players away from referees and telling them to shut up.

It's about time the FA finally grasped the nettle and clamped down on it. If the players and coaches show more respect, and the media show more respect, in time you'll see more respect on the terraces and in the amateur ranks.

Good post and agree wholly. The game is different mainly because of the speed in my opinion, so much so that refs appear unsighted more often in football but more close to the action in rugby and right next to scrums, mauls. 

Respect could be something the authorities could do something about easily. Even in rugby league matches and crowds there is respect and sportsmanship (even in the crowds if you've ever been to a northern RL game...fans mingle). Sin bins are an interesting idea.

Talking of respect, it's not just football but football forums. Some folk on here get far too much stick for daring to express opinions. Everyone has a right but people attack them, unfairly very often in my view. Since when should a football view create such anger if it isn't discriminatory?

I go back to my Clough comment. He knew the ref was sometimes wrong but he was the ref!

Edited by sonyc

11 hours ago, Ian said:

The only part open to interpretation is whether the assistant somehow determined Todd had gained an advantage and become active by taking a couple of steps towards the ball when it is first played to Pukki.

This clearly wasn't what Todd was penalised for, or play would have been brought back to this position.

Therefore any "interpretation" or "I can see why he gave it" is nothing more than posturing or looking for something to have a moan about.

Why would I moan about having one of our goals disallowed?

I wanted it to stand but can understand why it was disallowed.

I am also not someone who looks to blame everything and everybody else as a reason for our shortcomings and not winning a match.

Some are clearly so deep in the wood all they can see is trees.

Fair enough, I will stop engaging with them in future.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

I watch Rugby. I have a season ticket for a local club Camborne.

The referee only gets stick from the sideline. The players know they have to respect the refs decisions. For a start, if they don't, he has the powers to punish the players even more than any original decision.

And rugby is a game of one on one confrontations especially physically and losing a player either for ten minutes or the entire game can be costly in terms of points.

Any question about a decision has to be through the captain and asked politely. Should any player call a touch judge a "fcukin wnaker" he would be off and no doubt abused by his team mates.

Football is a game for gentlemen played by thugs and rugby is a game for thugs played by gentlemen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I watch Rugby. I have a season ticket for a local club Camborne.

The referee only gets stick from the sideline. The players know they have to respect the refs decisions. For a start, if they don't, he has the powers to punish the players even more than any original decision.

And rugby is a game of one on one confrontations especially physically and losing a player either for ten minutes or the entire game can be costly in terms of points.

Any question about a decision has to be through the captain and asked politely. Should any player call a touch judge a "fcukin wnaker" he would be off and no doubt abused by his team mates.

Football is a game for gentlemen played by thugs and rugby is a game for thugs played by gentlemen.

Except when the manager of the team supplies his players with fake blood capsules to chew so that they can be substituted to allow an advantage to his team. A level of cold eyed cynicism which I have never heard of in football. 

Can’t see it on here, so apologies if it is, but here is Farkes limited  ( as he doesn’t want a big ban ) take on the matter. Not so much in Farkes case as he has a secure job, but many don’t, so with technology as it is and managers and coaches able to see things in real time when you see what he has seen seconds later of course people will react. I would hate VAR back ( even though I hope we see it next year as an EPL team ) however as a manager in the Championship you can see the incident as though it was up for VAR but there is no changing a decision, hope that makes sense. The only way this could be stopped is by banning that technology, then at least the managers can only have opinions like us fans during the game, but that isn’t going to happen.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-qpr-daniel-farke-reaction-6874412

Referees have clearly been harder on us since Max and his theatrics at Reading. These things come back to bite you. 

I still prefer the poor refereeing in the Championship than the VAR fiasco where they still can't get it right when they look at it 30 times on a screen. 

If I could make one change to the rules at the moment it would be to put an ex Pro in the VAR centre and restrict them to one minute. 

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Except when the manager of the team supplies his players with fake blood capsules to chew so that they can be substituted to allow an advantage to his team. A level of cold eyed cynicism which I have never heard of in football. 

That has very little to do with player behaviour and treatment of a referee.

Its like comparing to Peter Swan, Derek Layne and Tony Kay who were jailed for fixing football matches in the 60s. Something I haven't heard of in Rugby.

29 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Referees have clearly been harder on us since Max and his theatrics at Reading. These things come back to bite you. 

I still prefer the poor refereeing in the Championship than the VAR fiasco where they still can't get it right when they look at it 30 times on a screen. 

If I could make one change to the rules at the moment it would be to put an ex Pro in the VAR centre and restrict them to one minute. 

Why not just stop  TV replays until after the game is finished? Refereeing has only become a problem since the advent of pundits and TV replays.

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Why not just stop  TV replays until after the game is finished? Refereeing has only become a problem since the advent of pundits and TV replays.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Although a little bit of me wants to say that the only reason pundits are pundits is that they can't coach or manage. Quite why we are inflicted with the views of ex players who have brains the size of a pea is beyond me. I've yet to listen to one that approves of zonal marking but it doesn't cross their tiny minds that the reason coaches use it is because it works. It's worse than sitting next to the twit at Carrow Road who wants the players to kick it as far as possible. Rant over. 

Sorry, nothing to do with this thread but I'm grouchy today. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

A few years ago I witnessed the most ridiculous reffing decision ever, two in fact,, in the space of two minutes. The first was when a player received the ball and moved forward half a dozen steps fully in control of the ball, the ref blew his whistle, the game stopped, everyone looked puzzled, the ref said "more than four steps, no bounce". There is a rule in Gaelic footy that on receiving the ball ,a player may only carry it for four steps before bouncing it in order to carry on ,or pass it. We were playing Association Football.......he reffed both sports, unfortunately he forgot which game he was officiating. The game restarted, after a bit of mickey taking, winger broke down the left, put in a great cross, Striker shouted. "Mike's Ball!!!"and slammed it home. Ref blew indicating a free kick to the defending team. He turned to the striker and said "you cant say 'my ball' ". Striker replied " I didn't, I said Mikes Ball....Mike is my first name". The ref took the matchcard out of his pocket and said "Its says here Michael Hurley, please use your full name in future". ......and stuck to his decision!!!! Now this was an u18 match and for the rest of the game the lads, when calling for the ball were shouting the likes of "Brian Timothy Luke Goddards  ball" ....and falling around laughing. 

The refs incompetence and refusal to admit his error only affected the scoreline but not the result ,fortunately. ....as u18 games in my experience, can get out of hand really quickly.

23 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Although a little bit of me wants to say that the only reason pundits are pundits is that they can't coach or manage.

Certainly the case with mr Roy Keane.

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

That has very little to do with player behaviour and treatment of a referee.

Its like comparing to Peter Swan, Derek Layne and Tony Kay who were jailed for fixing football matches in the 60s. Something I haven't heard of in Rugby.

Of COURSE it has something to do with player behaviour - the players (because they all knew about it) all had to actively go along with it!!! Cheating on a team wide scale. Disgusting!!

22 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Of COURSE it has something to do with player behaviour - the players (because they all knew about it) all had to actively go along with it!!! Cheating on a team wide scale. Disgusting!!

Oh dear. You really have an axe to grind.

So how about the Chilean goalkeeper Rojas who deliberately cut his face, accusing the crowd of hitting him with a flare, in 1989 to get the game stopped and awarded to Chile so they would qualify for the WC?

How far do you want to go with scandals? The White Sox? Maradona? Rose Ruiz?

We all know that football players behaviour toward officials is not good and I pointed out that it doesn't happen in rugby but if it does it is punished.

2 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Worst Ref I've ever seen? Mike Riley. Weak and ineffective. Thank goodness he's retired and doesn't have any influence on the game anymore.

And theres your problem a controversial referee promoted to the Head Post when many in the game didn't want him to get the job. I can't forget a few seasons ago when Leicester were close to winning the title Kevin Friend was taken off a Tottenham game because he had links with Leicester surely if a referee has links with a Premiership club he shouldn't be refereeing a Premiership game.

We then had the Simon Hooper debacle I will never forget the comments from the press box behind us  one commentator reported "first game of the season and we have already seen the worst decision of the season". Hoopers still around.

Now we can fast forward to VAR and one hoped this would cut out cheating and dubious decisions but not with Riley in charge he said he didn't want pitch side cameras to be used as this would add to much time to a game so people some 200 miles away could be refereeing a game. Last season we saw Sheff Utd score a goal against Villa with the ball clearly the other side of the post, goal line technology wasn't working and neither was VAR and the goal wasn't given. In another game Moss awarded Man U a penalty against Villa when replays clearly indicated that the foul was against Villa again VAR did nothing. VAR can take up to  five minutes to come to a decision whilst those in  TV studios can make a decision in seconds.

Fortunately  Collina stepped in and said pitch side monitors were to be used.

The thing that I feel most annoyed about is that the FA has done  absolutely nothing about it.